The Tigers are nearing agreement with Eduardo Rodríguez

RatkoVarda

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I hope he opts out as that means he probably had a good 2 years and at that point let someone else take on the risk going forward.

Yep.

And it makes sense from teh Tigers prespective, by that time you hope the big 3 are chugging along and its like ok let's roll with cheap pitcher A in his spot. If you like the depth you can resign E-Rod, If he goes elsewhere you either got another $15 million free or you just invest in that year's version of E-Rod.

• Like 1

Are we done with starting pitching now or do you think we're still in the market for one more? Personally I would feel better if we signed atleast 1 more, preferably somebody with some upside but at the very least I think we need a back of the rotation guy. 

Right now we have Mize, Skubal, Manning, Rodriguez and presumably Alexander in the rotation but not much depth in the minors to come help us if/when any of the guys get injured or struggle. There's potentially Wentz but that's about it, atleast that I can think of off the top of my head. I suppose there is the option of converting Fulmer back to a starter but that's not a sure thing.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Are we done with starting pitching now or do you think we're still in the market for one more? Personally I would feel better if we signed atleast 1 more, preferably somebody with some upside but at the very least I think we need a back of the rotation guy. 

Right now we have Mize, Skubal, Manning, Rodriguez and presumably Alexander in the rotation but not much depth in the minors to come help us if/when any of the guys get injured or struggle. There's potentially Wentz but that's about it, atleast that I can think of off the top of my head. I suppose there is the option of converting Fulmer back to a starter but that's not a sure thing.  

I think they'll go after one more--at this point, they should not count on Manning.  Obviously, losing both Turnbull and Boyd will require them to pursue another veteran, though it could be a Wily Peralta-type.  I doubt they give anyone more than one year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So far, it isn't.  Hopefully, that is addressed in the off-season.  

I won't profess to be a good evaluator of defense, but Candelario seems to be above average at 3B.  Schoop is a year removed from being a Gold Glove finalist at 2B.  All of the free agents that we are likely to be interested in at SS should be upgrades, as well.  Barnhart, getting the majority of starts, will be an upgrade to Haase at C.  Also feeling good about our OF--I'm writing in Grossman in RF, and penciling in Greene in LF, who I think makes the team out of Spring Training.   I really like the combination of Hill, Cameron and Baddoo in CF.

The only real question is mark is who will be at 1B?  I don't see Torkelson making it right away, so Schoop will likely continue to play some 1B, with Paredes getting a chance at 2B.  That combination probably isn't ideal, but also not horrible.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I won't profess to be a good evaluator of defense, but Candelario seems to be above average at 3B.  Schoop is a year removed from being a Gold Glove finalist at 2B.  All of the free agents that we are likely to be interested in at SS should be upgrades, as well.  Barnhart, getting the majority of starts, will be an upgrade to Haase at C.  Also feeling good about our OF--I'm writing in Grossman in RF, and penciling in Greene in LF, who I think makes the team out of Spring Training.   I really like the combination of Hill, Cameron and Baddoo in CF.

The only real question is mark is who will be at 1B?  I don't see Torkelson making it right away, so Schoop will likely continue to play some 1B, with Paredes getting a chance at 2B.  That combination probably isn't ideal, but also not horrible.

Candelario was average this year according to Baseball Savant.  They had no plus defenders this year other than than perhaps Hill/Cameron and I don't know how much they'll play next year.  I do think they'll improve significantly next year, but at the current moment I'd say they have a lot of work to do.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Per baseball savant, just 67% of his groundballs were converted into outs this past season ranking dead last in baseball, I believe the average is around 77% so being a full 10 points worse than average is just some brutal luck.  

yup - BoSox are a bad defensive team - IF and OF

Edited by gehringer_2

This is a solid sign. $ for value is solid. Way better Than Zimmerman. Going for the young pitcher in their prime rather than name recognition. Solid improvement for Al who is now 2 for 2 in the off season. Fingers crossed for a good shortstop. Al seems to move quickly like DD always did which I think puts a little pressure on the player to sign. Maybe it will work for a shortstop who doesn't want to twist during the work stoppage. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

This is a solid sign. $ for value is solid. Way better Than Zimmerman. Going for the young pitcher in their prime rather than name recognition. Solid improvement for Al who is now 2 for 2 in the off season. Fingers crossed for a good shortstop. Al seems to move quickly like DD always did which I think puts a little pressure on the player to sign. Maybe it will work for a shortstop who doesn't want to twist during the work stoppage. 

Zimmerman was only a year older. IIRC Zimmerman was the top pitcher on the market that year. Contract was the same length. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think TenD has it right. This is the splash, a 2nd pitcher will be a reclamation project or Peralta 'innings eater' type.

So they have upped payroll by ~$23M/yr so far. I wonder whats left in the kitty? Another $25M/yr I'd guess. 

I think it will be more than that.  Their shortstop will probably cost at least that much and then they'll add a few smaller pieces.    

58 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

You need 7 or 8 starting pitchers.    Not meaning you need all 7 to be on the team Opening Day, but 7 that could step in and be in the rotation the second they needed it.   They have 5 now with the 3 kids, E-Rod and Alexander.   I am guessing Alexander has the same role as the last two years - be in the pen, but be ready to step in.    Who would be the other two.  Is Wentz far enough along?  I don't think Faedo can be counted on.   So yes, they need at least one more.  Maybe they bring back Peralta, who probably won't break the bank.   Is Rony Garcia considered one of those guys?  Reese Olson?  Beau Briske?     I'd keep Fulmer in the pen.   He really thrived there.    

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You need 7 or 8 starting pitchers.    Not meaning you need all 7 to be on the team Opening Day, but 7 that could step in and be in the rotation the second they needed it.   They have 5 now with the 3 kids, E-Rod and Alexander.   I am guessing Alexander has the same role as the last two years - be in the pen, but be ready to step in.    Who would be the other two.  Is Wentz far enough along?  I don't think Faedo can be counted on.   So yes, they need at least one more.  Maybe they bring back Peralta, who probably won't break the bank.   Is Rony Garcia considered one of those guys?  Reese Olson?  Beau Briske?     I'd keep Fulmer in the pen.   He really thrived there.    

Here are who I believe to be the starting rotation candidates:

1) Mize

2) Skubal

3) Rodriguez

4) Alexander

5) Manning

6) Wentz

7) Fulmer

8 ) TBD Free Agent Signing

9) Boyd (later in the season if they re-sign him, which looks in jeopardy)

Rony Garcia could be in the discussion, though I doubt they count on him.  Brieske and Olsen are unlikely to start the season--they both have little AA experience.

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Candelario was average this year according to Baseball Savant.  They had no plus defenders this year other than than perhaps Hill/Cameron and I don't know how much they'll play next year.  I do think they'll improve significantly next year, but at the current moment I'd say they have a lot of work to do.  

I'd argue Candy was a little better than his numbers on the basis that admittedly,  he did have stretch early in the season when he was not sharp, and with defensive stats it's really hard to work off the impact of any miscues once they are tallied. But I thought he settled down and was solid the rest of the year. Not the greatest 3B going to his right, but I think he's good enough his D is not a concern.