4/2/24 7:10PM EDT Tigers @ Mets

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I'm just assuming there won't be baseball until Friday.

Home Opener weather took a turn... breezy and mid 40's.  But.... it's been worse.

Would be surprised if they didn't do a DH on Thursday

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Would be surprised if they didn't do a DH on Thursday

I forget how the "control" is handled over these things.  I think before the game starts, its largely up to the home team but with feedback from MLB as to how to proceed.  And then once the game starts, its the umpires (ie, MLB) along with feedback from the home team.

I think the next reasonable day off is Thurs April 25.  The Tigers are going from a Tampa 7pm game on Weds to a home 1pm game on Friday, so definitely not ideal there.  The Mets have a 3pm (EDT) game in San Francisco on Weds and return home for a 7pm game on Fri.  I suppose MLB could force the Tampa start time to earlier, but I don't know if Tampa could push back.

Whatever happened to MLB pushing clubs for day time starts for getaway games?  Maybe that doesn't apply when the next day is an off day.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Mets are off on Thursday so I imagine a doubleheader would be in order.

Yeah, assuming today and tomorrow are canceled, all the intangibles point toward them playing both games on Thursday if the weather allows for it... the Tigers are already in New York and aren't likely keen on having to fit in a trip to New York later on, both teams aren't traveling all that far the following day (Detroit back home, NY to Cincinnati), neither team is likely keen on having three straight off-days, etc.

To the extent the league factors into the decision, they'll likely be on that plane as well.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, assuming today and tomorrow are canceled, all the intangibles point toward them playing both games on Thursday if the weather allows for it... the Tigers are already in New York and aren't likely keen on having to fit in a trip to New York later on, both teams aren't traveling all that far the following day (Detroit back home, NY to Cincinnati), neither team is likely keen on having three straight off-days, etc.

To the extent the league factors into the decision, they'll likely be on that plane as well.

Really, there would be no other practical way, since the alternative would be to blow off two different concurrent off days for both teams later in the season, and what a nightmare that would be.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I looked at it yesterday, and it seems like there isn't common availability when the Tigers travel to New York to play the Yankees.  So that makeup option is off of the table.

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think they will try to muddy through at least one game today or tomorrow leaving only one game for Thursday. 

Was it Todd Jones who donned a wig and ran the bases during one of those postseason games with the Yankees that was momentarily in abeyance? I found the photo. This is my favorite rain delay photo ever. 
IMG_2764.thumb.png.a5bfa0bfa9b6b164e6bbd270012ce0ff.png

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Was it Todd Jones who donned a wig and ran the bases during one of those postseason games with the Yankees that was momentarily in abeyance? I found the photo. This is my favorite rain delay photo ever. 
IMG_2764.thumb.png.a5bfa0bfa9b6b164e6bbd270012ce0ff.png

He passes as an Andrew Chafin stand-in in this picture.

33 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Any day Baez isn't in the lineup is a good day.

Although I agree for the most part, tbf to Javy, he's come up clutch and been a key part in two of the four wins so far 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1