Green Bay at Lions, FOX 1:00pm

RedRamage

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

After looking at it again, they let the play clock run down to 4 seconds. They didn't save much time. They could have saved 30 more seconds if they wanted to. My guess is Staley wanted to talk to his defense and let them know to play for the tie. 

Yeah I don't think Staley was calling the timeout for any strategic advantage or anything cause like you said why wait till 4 seconds left on the playclock to call it then? I think he did it cause he saw something with the defense that he didn't like and/or to just remind the defense of the situation again.  Perhaps he wanted to reiterate to them not to make any dumb penalties(like they got away with a facemask a play or two prior) and things of that nature. 

Staley now says he called the timeout because he wanted to make sure they had the best run package in. I imagine he wasn't quite convinced that the Raiders wouldn't throw it on 3rd down but once he saw their package he realized that they were running for sure and he wanted to make sure he stopped them so he called the timeout to put in the different personnel.  Unfortunately their best run package wasn't much help. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

RE: Goff, his last 5 games he finished with a QBR of 64 which is what Stafford finished the season at and would be good for top 5 in the NFL and had an 11 to 2 TD:INT margin on a respectable 7.5 YPA which again would be good for top 5 if done over the course of the season. 

Assuming a return of Hockenson, an early WR draft pick/FA Signing and a potentially better O line with a returning Ragnow, more healthy Decker and more seasoned Sewell and I think it could be interesting to see what he can do next year over the course of the full season. 

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions got the 2nd pick and drafted Calvin Johnson. I'll take that. 

And they got Suh and Barry with the 3rd pick. It's absurd to say that winning this game is some kind of franchise crippling move especially in a draft with no surefire #1 pick. Please. I also wouldn't be shocked if Jacksonville went offensive tackle leaving the Lions with their choice of pass rusher.

Anyway, I actually enjoyed this season more than I thought I would. The team was battling every week and ended on a high note. Now they have a bunch of high picks and a lot of cap space to work with and I bet the way they ended the season and the overall appeal of playing for a guy like Dan Campbell will draw some free agent attention.

It's going to be an interesting offseason in which I think the Lions can potentially build a roster that can make a pretty significant jump forward next season. Not playoffs necessarily but I'd put the expectation at 6-7 wins minimum depending on how the offseason goes.

Edited by NYLion

16 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Given there aren't any great QB prospects this year, I think Goff earned another year to prove if he can be the future QB. 

He would have been here whether he earned it or not because of financial reasons. Interestingly, he took off when Campbell (the meathead who has no brains apparently) took over the playcalling duties. 11 TDs and 2 INTs in that timeframe.

I'm still not sold on him as a long term solution but give him some more weapons in the pass game and lets see how he does, they already have the offensive line, running backs and tight end to support him.

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

But they will be trading two of their own which would likely be better picks than the Rams so the net is nothing. They could have just traded Stafford to Carolina for the 9th pick and drafted Fields. I'm also wondering how far you think the Lions would need to trade up that they would be trading three 1st round picks? 

right now (and all this will change probably) i see the lions as a 5-7 win team next year picking in the 5-10 range.  if they need to move up to 1-3 to get a qb its gonna cost them multiple first round picks.  the niners gave up 3 to get to #3.  the bears gave up 2 to get to where they picked fields.  and one of the picks i see the lions giving up is going to be low first.  

"they could have just picked fields".   sure.  perhaps they didnt like fields?  he was terrible this year (in fairness, all the rookies in bad situations were terrible).  perhaps the lions want an offense with a good surrounding cast BEFORE taking a rookie qb in order to maximize his rookie salary time?  take the qb last after you have all the other pieces?  no use wasting a year of fields' development on this team without any skill players to help him (see what happened to him on the offensively talentless bears).

spending three picks to get up to take a qb at the top of next year's draft wouldnt be a waste of anything.  to the contrary, it would be a wise use of picks if you dont like any qbs this year or you want to draft some more high end receiver and defense talent this time around and then have some money to spend in free agency and a fancy new qb next time.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Staley now says he called the timeout because he wanted to make sure they had the best run package in. I imagine he wasn't quite convinced that the Raiders wouldn't throw it on 3rd down but once he saw their package he realized that they were running for sure and he wanted to make sure he stopped them so he called the timeout to put in the different personnel.  Unfortunately their best run package wasn't much help. 

staley overthinking it as usual.

Any team that throws a game just to draft 1 instead of 2 will never win even if they get the 1st pick. There is still a great chance the Lions will get the player they want. If they don't, they will get a very good player. There is more than one player in this draft. 

Players don't care about draft position. They go out to win. If they see management purposely trying to lose a game for draft position, you will lose the locker room. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Year one and we're already firing coordinators. Does that impact anyone's confidence in Campbell's ability to put together a staff?

I mean, in a perfect world I'd like the coordinators to be great fits who work out well for the team, so yeah... if one already essentially failed half way through the season sure... that's a bit of a mark on Campbell.  But I guess it's a relatively small mark.  As someone else said, Coordinators change regularly and it's hard to know why this partnership failed.  Without knowing more I'm not ready to put too much weight on this, especially given that the offense seemed to improve under Campbell's play calling and there doesn't seem to be any friction with Campbell and Aaron Glenn. (This seems to me to point out that it's not an ego thing. It's not Campbell saying: "I want to me the guy calling the plays regardless of whether that hurts the team or not!")

On an interesting side note, Lynn was only an OC for 14 games with the Bills in 2016.  Other than that he's been Assistant HC and/or various position coaches. I'm not sure if he called offensive plays when he was HC for the Chargers from '17-'20).

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

So you're guaranteed to get the guy you want. 

Win a game in a 2-13-1 year? why.

Because it's good for the morale of the young players and coaches. Go tell the players in that locker room post game when they were having a good time enjoying the win that it meant nothing. When you have a young team like this, with a young coaching staff that's in the very beginning of a rebuild, winning is important.

Also, the Lions drafted arguably the 3 best players in franchise history at 2,2 and 3. Chances are that the Jags could take an offensive tackle anyway leaving the Lions their #1 choice. Winning, especially for the reasons I mentioned above, should never be frowned upon especially in a draft where there's no true #1 prospect.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have a feeling Lynn was hired to be more of an assistant coach and veteran experience for the rookie coach. I never really viewed him as a long term option.

While I agree with this, I expected it to be from the other direction... that Lynn would want to move on sooner than the Lions wanted him to leave... that he'd start getting HC looks.  Instead it seems to be the Lions who are ready to move on.

One more thing, there seems to be alot of hate and doubt on Love and I'm not disagreeing but keep in mind he was rated equal or higher than most of the qbs that we would be likely to get with the Rams pick so he is exhibit A of what can happen when you settle for a QB in round 1 just cause that guy happens to be the best available. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

And it was the wrong call. TD...Green Bay. Counting on our D to stop Rodgers on the opening drive? How did that work out? Unless a team has a top 5 defense, I'll never agree it's the right call.

Are you suggesting that if the Lions get the ball first that it will then be easier to stop Rodger on the GB next possession? I suppose one could make the argument that if the Lions march down the field and get a TD that it will build momentum and let the defense feed off that to have "better energy" or whatever to stop Rodgers.

But one could just as easily make the case that had the Lions had to punt, or worse fumble or give up an INT, that it would have built momentum for the Packers and allowed their offense to feed off from that.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Are you suggesting that if the Lions get the ball first that it will then be easier to stop Rodger on the GB next possession? I suppose one could make the argument that if the Lions march down the field and get a TD that it will build momentum and let the defense feed off that to have "better energy" or whatever to stop Rodgers.

But one could just as easily make the case that had the Lions had to punt, or worse fumble or give up an INT, that it would have built momentum for the Packers and allowed their offense to feed off from that.

All game long, an NFL team fights to get the ball. To just give it away, especially a team with a bad defense, doesn't make sense. I know this is the trend with most teams, but I just don't like it. If my team had a top 5 defense, it would make a bit more sense. But the Lions defense against Rodgers? No, I would try to limit his touches.