Lions at Packers - 9/20/21 - Monday Night Football

RedRamage

THE POST MORDEM- 

Goff is not the problem.  He played very well.   They still lack go-to receivers.  It looks like Cephus wants to be the #1, and on this team he is, but he wouldn't be anywhere else.  I can see a scenario where Goff is like Alex Smith with the 49ers and Cheifs.  The Lions could draft a QB that needs marinating and they sit for a year while Goff guides the team.  He doesn't throw a pretty ball, wobbles more than I do going to take a leak at 4am, but when his o-line takes care of him, he's fine. 

The O-Line had a fantastic game.  They protected Goff extremely well and the running game (when they could use it) was very effective.  Green Bay's defense looks pretty bad.   I can't believe naked drive through guy is their D-Coordinator now. 

The Lions coaching is fine.  I can gripe about saving the timeouts in the first half, but it's a minor gripe.   Not getting the 4th down was a major momentum shift, but I am fine with it.  I like that he's challenging his team.   If they were contenders it would be foolish.   I thought Anthony Lynn had a terrific game plan and Aaron Glenn can only do so much. 

The defense is atrocious.  And it's all on Quinn and Patricia.   Quinn for horrible drafting and signing too many guys he already knew in New England and Patricia for chasing away talented guys who had the nerve to question him.   I can't believe I am about to type this, but they are actually worse than Millen was and as you saw last night, they need to completely rebuild the linebackers and the secondary. Rocket Scientist - my ass!   So this is a 3 year rebuild at the earliest and because Quinn & Patricia f'ed up this team so badly, Brad Holmes is in a position where he needs to be near-perfect in the first 3 rounds.   They need to go to younger linebackers with more speed.  I'd rather see those guys make mistakes and learn than Collins and Anzalone constantly take bad angles and just get outrun.   Let Pittman & Barnes take their lumps.  Anything is better than what we saw last night.    There is nothing you can do for the secondary. Starters are bad, Bench is bad.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've always read it as the difference between losses and wins. You are 2 games "under 500" if you lose one more game than you win*. Ergo - If the Tigers win 5 of the remaining 11, they're 78-84 = 6 under.  5-12 = 7 under, looks like all this Lions team can aspire to - esp having lost 2 QB from an already weak secondary and their 2nd best OL won't be back for a couple more weeks.

*it can be defined the other way but at least in my experience, I've seldom seen anyone other than people arguing on the internet use the other definition. If you are 50-52, you need to win 2 games to even - so you are 2 back. There is no way to get your past losses back.

I'm good with that.  This will definitely add another interest level for the last handful of games from the Tigers.  Given that we're facing the WhiteSox so many times (and yeah, I know we just won last night, but still...) and for the sake of come competition, I'll say the Lions finish fewer games under .500.

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Unless the Lions have a QB prospect like Lawrence available to them without trading, I would not look for a QB and use the two 1st rounders on defense. The OL is good, RB are good, Hockenson is developing into a top TE, the offense isn't that far behind. 

If there's no Stud QB, do you try to trade back and pick up more picks?  Obviously this means finding a partner who'd be willing to give up the picks and if there's no stud QB then it seems unlikely that there would be teams clamoring to move up. 

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

If there's no Stud QB, do you try to trade back and pick up more picks?  Obviously this means finding a partner who'd be willing to give up the picks and if there's no stud QB then it seems unlikely that there would be teams clamoring to move up. 

I would. If you can get 3 1st round picks, I would use one to draft a WR and the other two on defense. It would set you up well for 2023. It gives you another year to assess Goff and you still have the draft capital in 2023 to trade for a QB if you need to. 

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

THE POST MORDEM- Goff is not the problem.  He played very well.   

I thought Goff had a few nice drives but overall wasn’t up to par.  He was much too tentative with the football and the only plays he made in the 2nd half were for the Packers.   

I dont think the offense is far away and I think they can win with Goff at the helm. They obviously need a WR or two but i think if that get that coupled with Decker shoring up the line(assuming he transitions well to RT and I think you can have a solid offense.

I dont think it would be some high octane big play type offense but the type that ground and pounds with the run game and use that to set up play action and open up the middle of the field. 

The problem though is that the offense just doesnt have much margin for error cause the defense is atrocious. I think in and given game we may be lucky to force a punt or turnover 4 or 5 times at most so the offense either has to score TDs every chance they can or at worst have long drives that chew up a lot of clock. 

And just for the record Im not married to Goff, if a guy comes along in the next couple drafts that looks like the real deal I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him,  I just don't think we should be all in on QB just cause we feel we need to get one for the future and end up with a Blaine Gabbert, Josh Rosen or Daniel Jones. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 9/21/2021 at 8:45 AM, Sports_Freak said:

A few quality teams lost quarterbacks to injury. Shop Goff and see if we can land some draft picks for him. A couple 1tst round picks? Or, at least a 1st and a 2nd. It would make tanking much easier. We could be the first team to ever go 0-17.

lol.  no one is trading for jared goff with that contract.

Yeah I’ve been dying to figure out where the hell the forum went so I could complain about Goff. Two fumbles plus an ugly intentional grounding which could easily have been ruled a fumble. 

I see guys like Wojo talking about how bad the defense is, but you have the Coach pointing out that the other team didn’t cough it up and saying “that’s what a towel is for.” I’d say Goff is already on the hot seat. 

56 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That wasn't close to being a fumble or intentional grounding. 

On second thought you’re right. He looked like Johnny Unitas on that throw, which a Packer pounced on and the refs huddled to discuss.

Maybe you thought Goff performed well, and you are probably right, that was one of his better plays on a night when he lost two fumbles. 

19 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

On second thought you’re right. He looked like Johnny Unitas on that throw, which a Packer pounced on and the refs huddled to discuss.

Maybe you thought Goff performed well, and you are probably right, that was one of his better plays on a night when he lost two fumbles. 

I mean, the ball was clearly going forward and his arm was hit so that should have negated the intentional grounding. Goff also took a hit to the head so they could have even flagged Green Bay for roughing the passer or hands to the face. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, gehringer_2 said:

I've always read it as the difference between losses and wins. You are 2 games "under 500" if you lose one more game than you win*. Ergo - If the Tigers win 5 of the remaining 11, they're 78-84 = 6 under.  5-12 = 7 under, looks like all this Lions team can aspire to - esp having lost 2 [C]B from an already weak secondary and their 2nd best OL won't be back for a couple more weeks.

So even if the Tigers get swept by the White Sox, worst case they'll end up 76-86... so 10 games under .500. That's worst case.  That means the Lions need to win 7 games to tie, 8 to "beat" the Tigers.  I don't think that's going to happen.