Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I have been very down on Willie Castro defensively. Harsh even but he looks not too bad in right field and his arm plays. I would be interested if anyone else agrees ?

I was actually thinking the same thing watching him play RF on Fri/Sat.  And I have not had a beer in a week.  I don't know if its RF specifically or if he's just becoming more accustomed to playing OF in general.  He may not be able to put it all together, but at least there seems to be something clicking lately.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was actually thinking the same thing watching him play RF on Fri/Sat.  And I have not had a beer in a week.  I don't know if its RF specifically or if he's just becoming more accustomed to playing OF in general.  He may not be able to put it all together, but at least there seems to be something clicking lately.

He is closing on balls on the ground faster I think-prolly better confidence he’s not going to overrun something and no doubt an above avg arm for an OF. Is he doing any better not breaking the wrong way on flyballs- IDK, maybe. More surprising to me he is pulling his OPS up.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He is closing on balls on the ground faster I think-prolly better confidence he’s not going to overrun something and no doubt an above avg arm for an OF. Is he doing any better not breaking the wrong way on flyballs- IDK, maybe. More surprising to me he is pulling his OPS up.

OK, let's just understand that, yes, small sample size applies.  But given the conversation at hand....

image.png.de401e70238d5975f52142ba828160dc.png

Go, Willi, go!

32 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I have been very down on Willie Castro defensively. Harsh even but he looks not too bad in right field and his arm plays. I would be interested if anyone else agrees ?

I would rather have Daz Cameron and Baddoo back here. 

His glove limitations, and really limited bat as well, really should have Willi down in Toledo.

No support for Willi here.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

His glove limitations, and really limited bat as well, really should have Willi down in Toledo.

Me either. He doesn't have the power or speed for the outfield.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Baddoo?  Sure, no argument here.

Cameron?  What has he shown to be promoted?

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

What has Willi shown that he belongs in MLB?

Not much.  He's shown improvement lately, but like I said above, it might not be enough anyway. 

Cameron hasn't hit above AA, which Castro has.  So, there's that.

Baddoo is the only long term MLB hope among the 3.  We agree on that, right?

I am by no means saying that Willie Castro is a major leaguer better than the 2021 Badu or even potentially fourth outfielder Reyes but what I am saying is if there is a place to play him on the field it seems to be right field in right field only but it is improvement for him

Just now, SoCalTiger said:

I am by no means saying that Willie Castro is a major leaguer better than the 2021 Badu or even potentially fourth outfielder Reyes but what I am saying is if there is a place to play him on the field it seems to be right field in right field only but it is improvement for him

There's a place for him now, and that's probably an indictment on the organization's positional depth at the upper levels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, casimir said:

Kinda harsh, Cameron had a .865 OPS in 36 games last year for the Hens.

Also had a few big hits and defensive plays for the Tigers during his stint earlier in the year... 

I would like to see more of him, although with the re-emergence of Baddoo, he looks a little more blocked these days

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Kinda harsh, Cameron had a .865 OPS in 36 games last year for the Hens.

Also had a few big hits and defensive plays for the Tigers during his stint earlier in the year... 

I would like to see more of him, although with the re-emergence of Baddoo, he looks a little more blocked these days

He's following that up with a crisp .629 in Toledo this season.  His walk rate been reduced by half from last Toledo season to this Toledo season.  For his career at AAA (which, ok, some of which was at the tender ages of 22-23), he's at .716.

Wasn't he also called out a bit earlier this season?  It would seem answering that with a .629 isn't a recipe for success.

I get that CastroW in the OF should be handled in Toledo.  But Cameron hasn't really forced that issue by forcing the call up to replace CastroW in the OF.

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

He's following that up with a crisp .629 in Toledo this season.  His walk rate been reduced by half from last Toledo season to this Toledo season.  For his career at AAA (which, ok, some of which was at the tender ages of 22-23), he's at .716.

I understand. But you said he hadn't hit above AA, and I dont believe that to be accurate given that he did so in a roughly 35 game stretch last year.

It hasn't manifested itself as much this year, but he has hit above AA.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I get that CastroW in the OF should be handled in Toledo.  But Cameron hasn't really forced that issue by forcing the call up to replace CastroW in the OF.

I'm not passionate enough to get into a debate over it because, after all, we are arguing over guys who will likely never end up more than bench players. But of the two, up until this week, I would have said I'd rather see Cameron. Willi appears to have improved enough where it is more of a coin flip now.

I'm not even sure the significance of this debate really, given that Meadows will be coming back soon (supposedly during the upcoming road trip if all goes to plan) and that Baddoo seems to be going in the right direction in Toledo. And with Grossman still on the roster.

I dont know that there's room for either of them in the medium-long run.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I understand. But you said he hadn't hit above AA, and I dont believe that to be accurate given that he did so in a roughly 35 game stretch last year.

It hasn't manifested itself as much this year, but he has hit above AA.

I'm not passionate enough to get into a debate over it because, after all, we are arguing over guys who will likely never end up more than bench players. But of the two, up until this week, I would have said I'd rather see Cameron. Willi appears to have improved enough where it is more of a coin flip now.

I was looking at the aggregate numbers.  I mean, we could also look at CastroW's career lines and note that he hit .932 in 36 games in 2020.

This season sucks so much.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not even sure the significance of this debate really, given that Meadows will be coming back soon (supposedly during the upcoming road trip if all goes to plan) and that Baddoo seems to be going in the right direction in Toledo. And with Grossman still on the roster.

I dont know that there's room for either of them in the medium-long run.

Its July 4th and CastroW and Cameron each have more HRs than Meadows.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Its July 4th and CastroW and Cameron each have more HRs than Meadows.

As joyless as the team is, the dialogue surrounding the team from fans and the beat writers doesn't help.

That's reason enough alone to hope for Al to be canned.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We should cut Grossman and demote Willi.  I’d like to see Greene, Meadows and a Baddoo/Cameron platoon moving forward.

The injuries are one thing, but nothing has come more unexpectedly disappointing than the complete suckitude of Grossman’s and Schoop’ bats. Schoop at least provides value at 2b, OF defense as good a Grossman’s is a dime a dozen. He’s a total millstone on the roster. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

As joyless as the team is, the dialogue surrounding the team from fans and the beat writers doesn't help.

That's reason enough alone to hope for Al to be canned.

As joyless as the team is, it’s still better to be in the middle of the baseball season rather than the more joyless off-season.

18 hours ago, casimir said:

Not much.  He's shown improvement lately, but like I said above, it might not be enough anyway. 

Baddoo is the only long term MLB hope among the 3.  We agree on that, right?

Not enough. 

Cameron has hit above AA. Also not enough, but I still believe he has a useful bat in there somewhere. Too bad it isn't his dad's bat. I mean, Willi probably also has enough of a bat in there somewhere... it periodically shows up. But he's still crap in the OF. I prefer EXACTLY what Tenacious said several posts later:

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

We should cut Grossman and demote Willi.  I’d like to see Greene, Meadows and a Baddoo/Cameron platoon moving forward.

I think Cameron still has a chance to be long term. But he does need to show something more than what he has. So yeah, at this point only Baddoo is showing enough to be long term.

But speaking to what Tenacious posted... Baddoo is still struggling against LH'ers as far as I know. So... Baddoo/ Cameron platoon. Reyes still stays the 4th OF'er. 

If Cameron is facing roughly 3 LH'ers per week, plus PH opportunities (and vice verse for Baddoo), on a pretty much consistent basis (as close to it as he can get)... then maybe he pops against LH'ers and shows he could deserve some extra playing time. Maybe he even pushes Meadows to DH next year.. who knows?