Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather they left Schoop at second and moved Castro to first.  The only good thing about Schoop is his second base defense.  

I agree completely. I was not stating my desire. I was just predicting what we might see.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I am curious as to the shakeup we will see after the AS break. Usually you will see some moves happen after the ASB to move players up and down levels. 

I think we’re a bit limited in what we can do.  The AS break has sometimes served as a line of demarcation, where players who had a bad first half, turn it on in the second (and vice versa).  I think we’re better off giving Schoop, Grossman, Candy and Barnhart a month to see if the break helped them.  By that time, Rogers might be ready to come back.  Kreidler could be an option at 3B if he can get some reps in Toledo.  Could also bring back Cameron or Hill, too.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Not following.

maybe I'm not understanding what I'm seeing, but I think I see that no IF can stand in the right angle pie wedge behind 2B? If that's the case you are forcing team's not to cover the center of the IF, which means more batters will see a better chance to go right up the middle - at the pitcher.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

maybe I'm not understanding what I'm seeing, but I think I see that no IF can stand in the right angle pie wedge behind 2B? If that's the case you are forcing team's not to cover the center of the IF, which means more batters will see a better chance to go right up the middle - at the pitcher.

I don’t know.  I think hitters might actually pull the ball more now that there’s one fewer fielder on that side of the IF.

27 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was watching the Lou Whitaker story on Bally the other day. It got me thinking,he was a pull line drive/ground ball hitter. Does he get 200 hits in 83 with the shift? 

interesting to speculate. When Lou first came up, putting the ball right down the *opposite* foul line was his calling card. As he got older/stronger he got pretty good at putting it right down the pull side foul line. So the skill to either way in his repertoire, but I'm not sure how much he ever did both at the same time - which of course is harder and what you would have to be able to do against a variable shift.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Manning roughed up in Toledo tonight. 4 runs on 7 hits in only 4 1/3 innings. I haven't seen anything about how his stuff looked or how he felt but even though the numbers are pedestrian to say the least if he didn't get hurt I guess that's a positive step. 

peripherals not terrible - 1 walk, 4 Ks. Since nobody gives errors in baseball runs vs earned runs is meaningless.

Looking at the play log, he gave up hits to the 1st three hitters, two were line drives. After that all the remaining hits were on ground balls. FWIW, his infield was Lopez, Westbrook and Davis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think there would have to be something like that.  Otherwise they would just stand on the outfield grass the way they often do now.  

The pie is interesting.  I just figured they would mandate 2 IFs on each side of 2nd base with feet on the dirt.  So teams could still shift with a middle infielder at 2B and the other around halfway between 2B and either of 1B/3B.  I guess then the only change would be keeping the 2Bdude in the IF rather than playing short RF.