Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

If we platoon in left then that’s four outfielders so Reyes is out or he platoons with Badoo. But Willie Castro’s production as a righfielder can’t be ignored. Can’t believe I said that but the stats are real good and his defense and arm plays in right. I think he will continue to get playing time there so we will see. 
Meadows position is DH. The Miggy situation could get sticky in 2023. 

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

He's an unfinished product. Let him learn to hit all types of pitching.

That is probably best.  Being rushed to the Majors (due to Rule 5) may be the reason for his shortcomings.  If not for Rule 5, he probably would have spent last year in AA and this year in AAA.    

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Not enough. 

Cameron has hit above AA. Also not enough, but I still believe he has a useful bat in there somewhere. Too bad it isn't his dad's bat. I mean, Willi probably also has enough of a bat in there somewhere... it periodically shows up. But he's still crap in the OF. I prefer EXACTLY what Tenacious said several posts later:

I think Cameron still has a chance to be long term. But he does need to show something more than what he has. So yeah, at this point only Baddoo is showing enough to be long term.

But speaking to what Tenacious posted... Baddoo is still struggling against LH'ers as far as I know. So... Baddoo/ Cameron platoon. Reyes still stays the 4th OF'er. 

If Cameron is facing roughly 3 LH'ers per week, plus PH opportunities (and vice verse for Baddoo), on a pretty much consistent basis (as close to it as he can get)... then maybe he pops against LH'ers and shows he could deserve some extra playing time. Maybe he even pushes Meadows to DH next year.. who knows? 

It’s nothing but if, if, if with Cameron.  I think he’s DFAed after this season.  He can’t hit.  The numbers support that.

31 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

If we platoon in left then that’s four outfielders so Reyes is out or he platoons with Badoo. But Willie Castro’s production as a righfielder can’t be ignored. Can’t believe I said that but the stats are real good and his defense and arm plays in right. I think he will continue to get playing time there so we will see. 
Meadows position is DH. The Miggy situation could get sticky in 2023. 

I think when Meadows is healthy, the cooler of CastroW/Clemens get demoted.  And actually, since Clemens probably has a bit more positional versatility with what is needed as a backup in the IF, Clemens may have a bit of a leg up there.

Baddoo may have to wait for an injury, a trade, a slump, or September to get back to Detroit.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

what's the bright spots in the minors this year?

wenceel, carpenter.  anyone else?  is parker a bright spot?

some of the pitchers?  

Considering where he was at the beginning of the year, Parker Meadows would qualify as a bright spot IMO. 

Not necessarily an all inclusive list, and others MMV, but here's a few I'd say qualify.

Upper Minors: Wenceel, Carpenter, Meadows, Lipcius, Hill (as we saw yesterday), Flores, Olson, Bergner

Lower Minors: Ty Madden, Brant Hurter, Colt Keith (when he wasn't injured), Josh Crouch, Izaac Pacheco, Manuel Sequera (good power #'s, needs to make more consistent contact), Garrett Burhenn

The big question I have is with the some of the position players who have broken out (ie. Carpenter) or have seen their stock rebound (ie. Wenceel, Lipcius, Meadows) is whether they can go beyond the expectation of being slotted as utility/depth guys at the big league level. Or in the case of Carpenter the perception of being a AAAA guy. Skeptical, but who knows.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

Also of note is that Austin Martin completely dropped out of the top 100 after previously being ranked 55th, just pointing this out cause he probably would have been the pick if it wasn't for Tork so despite Tork's struggles if we went with Martin instead it probably would be even worse. 

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

No Flores?  That's a bit of a shock

My understanding is that there will be a much more comprehensive rerank in August after the current draft. They kinda qualified this rerank in their accompanying article

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My understanding is that there will be a much more comprehensive rerank in August after the current draft. They kinda qualified this rerank in their accompanying article

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if two of the three Flores, Madden, Olsen make it for the 100 list. 

4 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if two of the three Flores, Madden, Olsen make it for the 100 list. 

Flores and Madden seem like decent bets... with Madden, I remember one of the Pipeline guys last year on their podcast (can't remember if it was Callis or Mayo) suggesting he could be one of the earliest 2021 draft picks to make the major leagues. 

Nothing he has done to date suggests otherwise.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also of note is that Austin Martin completely dropped out of the top 100 after previously being ranked 55th, just pointing this out cause he probably would have been the pick if it wasn't for Tork so despite Tork's struggles if we went with Martin instead it probably would be even worse. 

I had looked up his stats a few weeks back and was surprised at how mediocre he looked (and that might be generous).  I was on his bandwagon for awhile.  Glad to be proven wrong.

Toledo dropped both ends of a doubleheader, Baddoo was a combined 1-for-6 with a BB and a stolen base.  He played both games, while the other guys - Hill, Cameron, Carpenter, Meadows - played one each and Robson didn't play at all except to pinch hit late in the second game.  So it seems like getting Baddoo back in the groove is a priority when playing time is divvied up.