Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I hope the struggles of Javy and disappearance of E-Rod doesn't deter Chris from spending  money in FA again. While spending big money isn't always the best idea and usually those contracts don't work out in terms of the $$ to WAR value but it's really hard to build a team strictly through home grown talent even if you are a team with a history of great player development and Lord knows that's not the Tigers. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Shortstop looks like the best position again.  If they want to make a big splash, they can move Baez to second and sign a shortstop.  That would require spening even more money than they did on Baez though, so it problay won't happen.  

Actually, I could see them going after Correa again, especially if Ilitch and Avila are trying to get the fanbase on their side. Move Baez to 2B and make Schoop a super-utility guy.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:29 PM, alex said:

I have thought about this. Both Andujar and EFlorial are in limbo it seems in NY.

Would believe NYY, like all teams will be looking for RPs. I think they lost Chad Green for the season. IMHO, the Yanks will do what they need to do for this year. So there could be a fit as Andujar 'could' play OF/3B if the Tiger brass see's him as a potential get.

With Florial, also a recent 'top' prospect and still young, he has nowhere to play in NY. The question is 'What do the Tigers have with current their OF corps?' ex DHill, Daz, Baddoo, WCastro, VReyes, etc. I think Meadows, when healthy, is one piece and Greene of course. We all know by now you need depth - but is Florial a better option than what they have?

Another 'bat' (or two) is needed in the lineup and 3B and/or OF might be the place. Perhaps 2B but few have more power than Schoop (also a decent defender) - but they might be more consistent.

I feel a 'good' trade or two, perhaps soon (next 6 mos.) could go a long way for the Tigers and their future.

Unfortunately, your father is the Tigers’ GM (hardy har har), and I don’t see him  being savvy enough to identify and pull-off this type of “good” trade, let alone two. Having said that, I definitely agree that we need a couple more bats (and then another couple after that), and I’d be all for inquiring on Miggy Andujar and Florial. 

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Madden with 5 IPP of 1 hit ball, 0BB 4K. Jobe only allowed to go 2 innings today. 2H 1R 2K

Erie scored 12 today. Perez, Lipcius, Meadows, Dingler all with multiple hits inc HR for Perez and Meadows.

You have to think Madden is getting pushed to Erie soon. 2.98 ERA after today.

2 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

You have to think Madden is getting pushed to Erie soon. 2.98 ERA after today.

For sure.

Lipcius is another one, we don't talk about him often but it seems like he could be in Toledo at some point before the year ends.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

For sure.

Lipcius is another one, we don't talk about him often but it seems like he could be in Toledo at some point before the year ends.

Agreed, I knew he was having a good year but just looked and he has a .869 OPS so he should be joining Carpenter soon I would hope. 

41 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Agreed, I knew he was having a good year but just looked and he has a .869 OPS so he should be joining Carpenter soon I would hope. 

Huge walk rate - more walks than Ks this season. By the time a hitter gets to AA that's not easy to do.

Theres been a few guys that werent on the radar coming into the season or seen as fringe prospects that have had good seasons so Im looking forward to seeing the midseason lists from the various websites and our local writers to see if any opinions have changed about them. 

I cannot believe Al Avila hasn’t sent Spencer Torkelson to AAA. I wouldn’t be surprised when Torkelson begins losing his confidence at the plate. I know Torkelson was drafted #1 overall, however Detroit’s front  office brass should send him to AAA for at least six weeks. Let Torkelson work on his swing before hitting .192 damages Torkelson’s career. Al Avila isn’t being smart with Torkelson’s  development.

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Don't look now but Parker Meadows has an 860+ ops over the last 30 games. You have to wonder if the change in development personal has anything to do with the new found success for players like him and Perez. Both are still just 22 as well. 

Packard has also heated up in WM, along with recently demoted Cabrera.  Both should probably be higher, but nice to see them having a bit of success.

Also, like to see what Pacheco is doing in Lakeland:

image.thumb.png.3aff27dc36f4dcf50d272958e24ac3c5.png

By comparison:

image.thumb.png.22e45d44b12f3d15fb58fae3140c3df9.png

• Like 1

They do seem to have a fair number of bright spots in system. I can remember long years in the Tiger system when you would be lucky to find any players whose stat sheets were actually shouting 'promote me!.' That's still no guarantee any of these guys actually make it, but they are at least taking a necessary 1st step in a way that is refreshing to see in this org.

And again, this goes back to the conundrum about Avila. There has been progress under his watch - but it's still too little, too slow, and most importantly, too little impact has reached COPA yet.

Edited by gehringer_2