Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Great call by the Bengals to go for it! If they kicked the FG they would have given Mahomes 50 seconds left in a game where they hadn't been able to stop him.  By going for it worst case scenario is that you go to OT cause no way KC would have tried anything getting the ball at the 1 with no TOs. They would've just settled for OT. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I told you the Bengals were better than you thought.     They just clinched their division

Every year there is a worst-to-first story.    

Today was a prime showing why the Bengals should have fired Marvin Lewis ten years before they did. Three years out from his firing, this Bengals team just beat the best team in the conference and is primed to host a playoff game with a good chance of winning one. That's a spot Lewis, despite some regular season success, could never attain in his entire tenure with the Bengals. 

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Today was a prime showing why the Bengals should have fired Marvin Lewis ten years before they did. Three years out from his firing, this Bengals team just beat the best team in the conference and is primed to host a playoff game with a good chance of winning one. That's a spot Lewis, despite some regular season success, could never attain in his entire tenure with the Bengals. 

Marvin Lewis also didn't have Joe Burrow and Lewis won multiple divisional titles with Andy Dalton. 

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Ben Rothlesberger getting old helps.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Marvin Lewis also didn't have Joe Burrow and Lewis won multiple divisional titles with Andy Dalton. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lewis also had to contend with the Steelers when they were really good.

When you're the head coach of a single organization for 15 years and don't win a single playoff game, I wouldn't accept any excuse. If Dalton was what the reason that did not happen, he should have ensured Dalton was replaced.

Similar to the Lions under Caldwell, it's too easy when you're a historically awful organization to become content with 10-7 or 9-8 and a first round exit, getting bounced by a big boy, being your best possible season. This isn't the MAC and you're not Central Michigan. Expect more.

This Bengals team is better than anything Lewis produced because they aren't rolling over late in the season. They're benefitting from the Steelers being down, absolutely, but at the end of the day the head coach is the reason they may advance beyond the first round.

52 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

When you're the head coach of a single organization for 15 years and don't win a single playoff game, I wouldn't accept any excuse. If Dalton was what the reason that did not happen, he should have ensured Dalton was replaced.

Similar to the Lions under Caldwell, it's too easy when you're a historically awful organization to become content with 10-7 or 9-8 and a first round exit, getting bounced by a big boy, being your best possible season. This isn't the MAC and you're not Central Michigan. Expect more.

This Bengals team is better than anything Lewis produced because they aren't rolling over late in the season. They're benefitting from the Steelers being down, absolutely, but at the end of the day the head coach is the reason they may advance beyond the first round.

I mean, this Bengals team is 10-6 and haven't won a playoff game yet so I wouldn't anoint them yet. The Lewis Bengals won division titles in a division that had a very good Steelers and Ravens team. I guess congratulations you won a division title that Lewis did 4 times and won 10 games which Lewis did 6 times.  The 0-7 playoff record is what ultimately done him in. I'll wait until there is playoff success. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, this Bengals team is 10-6 and haven't won a playoff game yet so I wouldn't anoint them yet. The Lewis Bengals won division titles in a division that had a very good Steelers and Ravens team. I guess congratulations you won a division title that Lewis did 4 times and won 10 games which Lewis did 6 times.  The 0-7 playoff record is what ultimately done him in. I'll wait until there is playoff success. 

That's fair. I'm going off of look alone, I think they look like a team capable of going further. Look doesn't mean anything if they don't ultimately do something.

Was Antonio Brown unable to play due to his ankle injury?

Seems like a stretch because lots of players get injured and can’t return without as much drama.  But it is fuel.

from another story

Bruce Arians on Antonio Brown: “He just can’t help himself”

“Nope, I’m not going in,” Brown told Arians, according to Arians. King notes that, per TheAthletic.com, Brown claimed his ankle was sore. Whatever the specifics, Arians said he became “very” angry with Brown, who proceeded to remove his shoulder pads, jersey, T-shirt, and gloves and leave the field — and then the stadium.

Edited by sagnam