Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

I saw Jim Caldwell’s name thrown about as a possible candidate.   I think he’d be great for them as a bridge until they hopefully get good in a few years.   He will steady the locker room and has a long history working with hall of fame quarterbacks.   He would also probably come cheap to get back in the game.  

Edited by Hongbit

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Notice the one huge exception. 

did any of the those other guys play 14 yr in the league? Harbaugh 'knew' pro football a lot better than some of those guys so that was a natural advantage for him. But I think the way SF ended is probably one of the reasons he's going to stay in college. There really isn't anyone looking over his shoulder or 'meddling' in his program at UM. Sure he reports to someone in the form of the AD, but a major college coach has much more autonomy than the average pro coach not named Belichek.

Of course *if* a guy like Harbaugh starts feeling college football evolving down a road that feels more like pro football maybe his mind changes?

Edited by gehringer_2

The Jags remaining schedule after this week:
@ Jets (3-10)
@ Pats 
Colts 
The Jets game is maybe winnable.

The Texans remaining schedule after this week:
Chargers 
@ 49ers
Titans
None of those look winnable, so I guess I'm rooting for the Texans to win this week, and the Jags next week to preserve the Lions #1 pick.

Just as a reminder, our remaining scheudle:
Cards - almost certainly a loss
@ Falcons and then @ Seahawks -- neither are great teams, so it's possible we win one, or even both.
Packers - who may not have anything to play for at that point.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Notice the one huge exception. 

I think Harbaugh stepped into a really good situation, though.  The 49ers had a lot of talent and they were severely underachieving,  so he didn't have to build it, he just needed to fix it.   Alex Smith not being a problem when he switched QBs probably helped the whole team. 

A lot of these guys come into terrible situations with no pro experience as a head coach and they quickly realize that the players have more power than they do and they aren't just going to be respected or feared.     Patience is not abundant in pro football these days.   I thought Bobby Petrino was the worst, but Urban topped him. 

Anyone remember Frank Kush?  He used to hit and kick players, but that was in college, and he got fired for that.    That didn't play too well in the pros and he was a terrible coach there.    Urban kicked a kicker............I think if he had kicked just about any other player he might have had a much different response.   Shows what a gutless turd he is.   

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

The Jags remaining schedule after this week:
@ Jets (3-10)
@ Pats 
Colts 
The Jets game is maybe winnable.

The Texans remaining schedule after this week:
Chargers 
@ 49ers
Titans
None of those look winnable, so I guess I'm rooting for the Texans to win this week, and the Jags next week to preserve the Lions #1 pick.

Just as a reminder, our remaining scheudle:
Cards - almost certainly a loss
@ Falcons and then @ Seahawks -- neither are great teams, so it's possible we win one, or even both.
Packers - who may not have anything to play for at that point.

Looking at all 3 teams, the Lions seem the least likely to win a game

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This seems like a no brainer for Jax to hire Eric Bieniemy.    They will probably hire an old retread like Jack Del Rio or Mike Zimmer.  

Byron Leftwich, but Jim Caldwell would be someone with experience that could calm things down

Guys,  he had a winning record 3 out of 4 seasons with the f**king Lions.............That's Hall of Fame right there. 

• Haha 1

I think Jim Caldwell would be a great hire for Jacksonville this off-season. He may not take them all the way, but that franchise desperately needs some stability right now. Dabo would be interesting, and I think he’d take the job in a heartbeat if offered. I don’t think they’ll offer him though fresh off a colossal failure of a first-time college coach transplant.

Because it’s Jacksonville, they’ll probably go with like Bill O’Brien or Nathanial Hackett, both of whom I think would fail in Jacksonville.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't be too upset if the Lions end up picking 2nd or 3rd. The decision on whether to take Hutchinson or Thibodeaux would likely already be made for them. 

I've thought about that too (too much in fact) and come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.  You have four possible outcomes:

• Lions pick 1st and take X, and X ends up the better pick. -- Front office gets no credit because it was the obvious pick anyway.
  • Lions pick 1st and take X, and Y ends up better. -- Front office gets roasted.
  • Lions pick 2nd and take Y and Y ends up better. -- Front office gets no credit because the other team was just stupid to take X.
  • Lions pick 2nd and that Y and X ends up better. -- Organization gets roasted for not tanking enough when it was obvious that X was the better option.

So the Lions will either get no credit or roasted if they pick 1st, or get no credit or roasted if they pick 2nd.

40 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I've thought about that too (too much in fact) and come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.  You have four possible outcomes:

• Lions pick 1st and take X, and X ends up the better pick. -- Front office gets no credit because it was the obvious pick anyway.
  • Lions pick 1st and take X, and Y ends up better. -- Front office gets roasted.
  • Lions pick 2nd and take Y and Y ends up better. -- Front office gets no credit because the other team was just stupid to take X.
  • Lions pick 2nd and that Y and X ends up better. -- Organization gets roasted for not tanking enough when it was obvious that X was the better option.

So the Lions will either get no credit or roasted if they pick 1st, or get no credit or roasted if they pick 2nd.

Or after the Lions are guaranteed the 2nd pick one of the qbs breaks out from the pack and a team(s) falls in love with him and give the Jags a bounty for the 1st pick to ensure him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If I were the Jags I definitely be trying to get Harbaugh but I like to think that Michigan is going to offer him a Godfather type offer and for better or worse(if you're like Tater or TP) he's going to be a Michigan lifer.

if i were worried about him leaving, i would worry about him going to the bears.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

if i were worried about him leaving, i would worry about him going to the bears.

Yeah that probably would be the best fit, got your potential qb and if/ when Rodgers leaves the division should be wide open. The only downside is that it is a pretty demanding fan base so if he struggling by midway through the 2nd year they will probably be calling for his head. 

15 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Here is PFF's breakdown of the QB's. I haven't studied it much but i like Strong and Howell.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-clustering-2022-nfl-draft-quarterback-prospects-ole-miss-matt-corral-pittsburgh-kenny-pickett

To me the most important traits are accuracy, defense reading and how quickly you can move off your first read. That's why I loved Mac Jones so much and a big reason why I feel he has had success from day 1.

Yeah your arm strength and 40 time may be what scouts drool over but those don't translate to the NFL if you can't do the things I mentioned above.  

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jacksonville has a potential franchise QB and a top 3 pick. Chicago doesn't have a 1st round pick. They have a better base but that defense is aging. I understand Harbaugh has ties to the Bears but I like the Jacksonville job better. 

jacksonville is one of the worst organizations in the league.  the bears arent top tierz but theyre better than jacksonville.  no way i would go there.