Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Henry Ruggs makes $4 million a year. He lives and plays in Las Vegas, a town with more limos than anywhere else (maybe in the world). The NFL also has a program that if you are drunk or high, you can place a call and they will provide you with a ride home at no cost, with no questions asked, even if you are on a 3-day bender or a coke binge. But he said "Nah, I got this" and drove drunk ALLEGEDLY last night, crashed his sports car into an SUV and killed a woman. Even with the best lawyers, he's probably going to jail for a long time. He's only 22 and he blew it all.

For some of our younger posters, we had a Detroit Lion do this in 1988, His name was Reggie Rogers and he killed 3 teens. He only spent a year in jail. Sentences for DUI deaths are much harsher now. He then had another DUI crash in 2008, it was his FIFTH DUI just in the state of Washington. Rogers wound up dead at 49 from an overdose of cocaine and alcohol.   Sad all around.

I've always thought Reggie Rogers was a bigger draft bust than Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell or Tony Mandarich, who only really hurt themselves.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

7 hours ago, sagnam said:

Just read that his best friend in high school died in a car crash.   No indication of drunk driving in that one, but man, some things don't get through.   Not sure they would have got through to me at 22, because we're all pretty stupid at 22.   

5 minutes ago, sagnam said:

At the time of impact it was 127 mph.............he slammed on his breaks, but at 156, it is not going to help much.    When his blood was drawn it was .0161, so at the time of the crash it was probably around .02.  This wasn't a freeway, it was surface streets.   Absolutely insane.   He's going away for a very long time.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

David Carr really stepped in it.     He posted on Twitter that his brother should be the MVP if the Raiders made it to the Super Bowl with all that has gone wrong.       Yeah, maybe not the time, Dave.  I'm sure EVERYONE is aware of the Raiders troubles.   

Fun fact, David Carr's middle name is Duke. Have to imagine that is intentional. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So if Rodgers did indeed lie about his vaccination status, should he be suspended for at least a few games?  Does the NFL have the guts?   What's the policy?       I guess it depends on if he lied to just the press or if he lied to the team/league.  

I'm a Packers fan and I say Yes, if he lied to the team or league, he should be suspended. Seems like though he "just" lied to the press. I'm sure there will be more to come though too. For example, why was he never masked while doing indoor press conferences, if the team and league knew he was unvaccinated?

The Lions released Tyrell Williams and Cleveland released OBJ. Apparently Cleveland restructured his contract to where there would be minimal cap hit and the team claiming him could release him without cap hit. John Dorsey originally traded for him in Cleveland. The Lions are first in waiver priority and desperately need a receiver. Things appear to be lining up. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions released Tyrell Williams and Cleveland released OBJ. Apparently Cleveland restructured his contract to where there would be minimal cap hit and the team claiming him could release him without cap hit. John Dorsey originally traded for him in Cleveland. The Lions are first in waiver priority and desperately need a receiver. Things appear to be lining up. 

That's what I was thinking but would OBJ decide to play for us or would he just sit out instead? 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

That's what I was thinking but would OBJ decide to play for us or would he just sit out instead? 

Even if he does, the Lions could trade him in the offseason. Cleveland restructured his contract so there is no cap issue. They could pick him up and possibly get a free 6th round pick or something. I'm kind of liking the thought of claiming him. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even if he does, the Lions could trade him in the offseason. Cleveland restructured his contract so there is no cap issue. They could pick him up and possibly get a free 6th round pick or something. I'm kind of liking the thought of claiming him. 

Oh that's cool, I wasn't sure how the whole NFL waiver wire worked. I was under the assumption that you only got the player for the rest of the year, knowing that we control him for multiple years definitely changes my perspective.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Oh that's cool, I wasn't sure how the whole NFL waiver wire worked. I was under the assumption that you only got the player for the rest of the year, knowing that we control him for multiple years definitely changes my perspective.

The way I saw it written, the team claiming him would assume his contract. Cleveland converted his salary to a signing bonus so the team claiming him this year would only need to pay him the minimum. He's under team control through 2023. If the Lions kept him, he would count $15 million against the cap but they could always cut him without incurring a dead cap hit because that salary is no longer guaranteed. The only downside I see is that he does report and becomes a locker room cancer.