Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ive seen some speculation on Twitter that the Pats took less just to be spiteful and send Gilmore to a less desirable location and to hurt his ego by seeing how little he brought back. 

Normally I would put no stock in that but knowing Belicheck's ego and how spiteful he can be I wouldn't completely rule that out.

There's a story that when ownership forced him to trade Jimmy G he took less from the 49ers than other teams were offering cause he believed in Shanahan and the 49ers management could get the most out of Jimmy G and build a good team around him. He sacrifced the Pats return just so Jimmy G could look his best and he could look like the smartest guy in the room for wanting to keep him. 

To add to this conspiracy theory, the Panthers also appear to be the biggest threats to Brady and the Bucs. Giving Brady's biggest threat in the division a potential lock down CB and make them that much tougher for Brady seems like a typical spiteful Belicheck move. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32338821/2021-nfl-analytics-survey-most-least-analytically-inclined-teams-future-gm-candidates-more

Pretty cool article about analytics in the NFL with input from 22 guys that work in NFL offices.

The Lions weren't mentioned aside from getting 1 vote for top 5 most analytic heavy teams. They didn't get any votes for the bottom 5 so it appears they are more middle of the pack.

Another thing of note they said the average NFL team is about 10 years behind MLB teams in terms of analytic usage and dependency.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32338821/2021-nfl-analytics-survey-most-least-analytically-inclined-teams-future-gm-candidates-more

Pretty cool article about analytics in the NFL with input from 22 guys that work in NFL offices.

The Lions weren't mentioned aside from getting 1 vote for top 5 most analytic heavy teams. They didn't get any votes for the bottom 5 so it appears they are more middle of the pack.

Another thing of note they said the average NFL team is about 10 years behind MLB teams in terms of analytic usage and dependency.

Quinn never struck me as an analytic type so I'm kind of impressed the Lions got one vote. The Rams got 6 votes which was the 6th highest. I imagine the Lions will move up once Holmes gets more time to build the analytics team. 

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Quinn never struck me as an analytic type so I'm kind of impressed the Lions got one vote. The Rams got 6 votes which was the 6th highest. I imagine the Lions will move up once Holmes gets more time to build the analytics team. 

Quinn struck me as a barista who fetched coffee for Bill Belichick and probably walked his dog for him.   

That Stafford for MVP talk is starting to fade and Stat Padford is coming back down to Earth. Last, as is usually the case, he couldn't get it done and win a big game against the Cardinals throwing for a slightly above average 2 TDs, 1 INT, 280 yards, a 63% completion%, and a 63 passer rating. Tonight he doesn't look much better with 0 TDs, 1 INT and 131 yards in the first half. And yes, of course I recognize he beat the defending Super Bowl Champs in week 3, but if he loses tonight he will be 1-2 against teams with a winning record/

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

The run designs by McVay are laughable.  Stafford overthrowing guys.  Looks like some of the 3 week shine has worn off. 

Of course it has. Who do people think Matt Stafford really is? A top 5, elite QB like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Allen, etc.? Did they expect that he was going to suddenly blast off into the MVP stratosphere and take the Rams to a Super Bowl? He's an overall good, sometimes great, sometimes elite, sometimes below average, sometimes awful QB. A guy who lacks consistency. A guy who has never been able to carry a team or put it altogether and deliver when the chips are on the table during a meaningful game. His stats against top-tier defenses and winning teams showed us this during his tenure here. His performance in big games and playoff games showed us this. Why would it suddenly change? Why would he suddenly, more consistently, become an elite QB?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That Stafford for MVP talk is starting to fade and Stat Padford is coming back down to Earth. Last, as is usually the case, he couldn't get it done and win a big game against the Cardinals throwing for a slightly above average 2 TDs, 1 INT, 280 yards, a 63% completion%, and a 63 passer rating. Tonight he doesn't look much better with 0 TDs, 1 INT and 131 yards in the first half. And yes, of course I recognize he beat the defending Super Bowl Champs in week 3, but if he loses tonight he will be 1-2 against teams with a winning record/

My thoughts have been  "lets see him do it in the playoffs"

I was kind of on on his side until he said he never played a big game here,  he lost me on that.  To hell with him now.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My thoughts have been  "lets see him do it in the playoffs"

I was kind of on on his side until he said he never played a big game here,  he lost me on that.  To hell with him now.  

Someone should have asked him why he didn't score a single TD after the first half in one playoff game and didn't get into the end zone at all in another. Some players step up and take over in big games and some fade. I never liked the idea of paying a guy 16-17% of my cap space to watch him ghost in a big game.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Someone should have asked him why he didn't score a single TD after the first half in one playoff game and didn't get into the end zone at all in another. Some players step up and take over in big games and some fade. I never liked the idea of paying a guy 16-17% of my cap space to watch him ghost in a big game.

We got screwed in the Cowboys game but we were up 20-7 and that was that..........no extra nail.  Game should have been so far out of reach.       

You're right, he never stepped up in those big games

Remember one year we only had to win one more game to clinch the division with 3 or 4 games left,  Lost the next 3, 4th one didn't matter. 

Seahawks playoff game his receivers did drop 5 or 6 passes, but the game was never in doubt for them. 

All his fault?  No, not a all, but he just didn't take over.   He didn't make his whole team better.

Really good QB,  but the media is slobbering all over this guy. 

The Seahawks are doing more to hurt themselves than the lions.  Incredible really.  Poor play calls, horrible time usage, missed FG.  They made a first down at the rams 49 with 55 secs left in the field and 2 timeouts.   They didn’t run a play until 33 secs left and it was a run for 4 yards.  They then called a timeout.  So instead of 1st and 10 with 55 secs and 1 timeout they forced themselves into 2nd and 6 with 33 secs left and 1 timeout.  Egregious.   Then a TD negated on a penalty followed by a missed FG.  Instead of 10-3 it’s still 7-3.

Then they come out of the half, get the ball and punt.  Back to back TDs for the rams after.  That is lions football.  Killing themselves everywhere.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We got screwed in the Cowboys game but we were up 20-7 and that was that..........no extra nail.  Game should have been so far out of reach.       

You're right, he never stepped up in those big games

Remember one year we only had to win one more game to clinch the division with 3 or 4 games left,  Lost the next 3, 4th one didn't matter. 

Seahawks playoff game his receivers did drop 5 or 6 passes, but the game was never in doubt for them. 

All his fault?  No, not a all, but he just didn't take over.   He didn't make his whole team better.

Really good QB,  but the media is slobbering all over this guy. 

Yeah, he didn't carry the team. I wonder why? Not enough talent around him? Bad play calling? We'll see how he does in L.A. He's already 4-1. A win in Seattle too. 

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

but he didnt lose.  365 yards passing and looked really good in the second half.

stafford's a top 10 qb in the nfl.  not the best, but still pretty good. sorry hater tater.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

but he didnt lose.  365 yards passing and looked really good in the second half.

stafford's a top 10 qb in the nfl.  not the best, but still pretty good. sorry hater tater.

Feels like when he sees his Hotty ex and tries to pick on her imperfections and all he can come up with is her middle toe on her left foot is longer than the rest.

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Feels like when he sees his Hotty ex and tries to pick on her imperfections and all he can come up with is her middle toe on her left foot is longer than the rest.

Actually not only was her middle toe longer, but she was missing her right arm as well. I lost my stat sheet on his numbers against good defenses (top 15 ranked or higher) when the old message boards went down. His record against defenses ranked in the top 15 was something like 22-61 and his statline in-terms of QBR, completion %, and total TDs were all down.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Whether it is Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, drafting Malik Willis this year and watching his career progress, or any other QB in the league, you will never convince me that it is worth paying your QB 15-16-17% of your teams total cap space when they have won nothing of note ever and have that lack of success in the playoffs and against upper tier/above average defenses that Stafford has. You just can't anchor your team to that kind of a contract unless they are an elite QB. Just ask Minnesota with Kirk Cousins now, who is taking up 16% of their cap space. If you are preforming at the level of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, you can get away with doing that. Otherwise, you're just as well off finding yourself a Baker Mayfield, Trent Dilfer or Peyton Manning the Denver years and taking that excess cap money and spreading it around to make your team better elsewhere.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whether it is Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, drafting Malik Willis this year and watching his career progress, or any other QB in the league, you will never convince me that it is worth paying your QB 15-16-17% of your teams total cap space when they have won nothing of note ever and have that lack of success in the playoffs and against upper tier/above average defenses that Stafford has. You just can't anchor your team to that kind of a contract unless they are an elite QB. Just ask Minnesota with Kirk Cousins now, who is taking up 16% of their cap space. If you are preforming at the level of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, you can get away with doing that. Otherwise, you're just as well off finding yourself a Baker Mayfield, Trent Dilfer or Peyton Manning the Denver years and taking that excess cap money and spreading it around to make your team better elsewhere.

I agree that it definitely puts you behind the 8 ball when building the rest of your team but if you truly get elite qb play it can mask alot of warts on your team and I think that's why so many teams will reach and possibly overpay guys just for that hope.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

kirk cousins is not minnesota's problem.  their inability to draft enough good players is their problem.

just like stafford was never the lions' problem and is not the rams' problem now (if they actually have a problem).