Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

I wouldnt take any, I was a big Rattler fan coming into the season cause I expected him to build off his strong finish to the season last year but that really hasn't been the case.

I say build up the defense and find a playmaker or two on offense(between the draft and FA) and then take a qb in 2023.

I want the QB to be in the best situation as possible coming in so he can be successful from day 1. I don't want him looking like most of the rookie QBs this year, all you do in that situation is waste a year or 2 of their rookie deals, potentially kill their confidence, risk them getting injured or risk misevaluating them like it looks like the Jets did with Darnold. I don't want any of those problems. 

Just ride it out with Goff the next 2 years,  take your lumps and take your qb of the future in 2023. I have no idea what the class is suppose to look like that year but hopefully for our sake there's a couple good ones. 

I like the Bills blueprint, they built up the rest of the team before taking Josh Allen. He did struggle a bit early on but that was more due to him being Raw than anything.  They also went out and almost immediately got him one of the best wrs in Diggs to help his development.

They essentially had everything he needed to succeed by his 2nd season and now they look like one of the teams with the brightest futures in the league. Another example is the Chargers, Herbert was able to be a stud from day 1 cause the pieces were already in place. That's what I want when we draft a qb early. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wouldnt take any, I was a big Rattler fan coming into the season cause I expected him to build off his strong finish to the season last year but that really hasn't been the case.

I say build up the defense and find a playmaker or two on offense(between the draft and FA) and then take a qb in 2023.

I want the QB to be in the best situation as possible coming in so he can be successful from day 1. I don't want him looking like most of the rookie QBs this year, all you do in that situation is waste a year or 2 of their rookie deals, potentially kill their confidence, risk them getting injured or risk misevaluating them like it looks like the Jets did with Darnold. I don't want any of those problems. 

Just ride it out with Goff the next 2 years,  take your lumps and take your qb of the future in 2023. I have no idea what the class is suppose to look like that year but hopefully for our sake there's a couple good ones. 

has there been a worse start for such a highly touted crop of qbs?  they've all been terrible except Lance and that's only because he hasnt played yet.

theyre all rookies and this is real early, but its pretty striking how bad they all are after hearing all summer how they were all going to be so awesome.  especially lawrence.

none of them have been as good as herbert was last year.  they all look like tua (who still sucks).

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

100% agree.

The Jags just traded CJ Henderson and a 5th to the Panthers for a 3rd round pick. Henderson was the second db taken last year after Okudah of course and by all accounts looked alot better than him(not that that is saying much).

Anyway for that price I think I would've been in on that. I think the likelihood of getting a defensive player that has his kinda upside that fills a pressing need in the middle rounds is extremely slim, plus we'd be getting back an early 5th to help offset that. 

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Build up the rest of the team (gonna take 3 offseasons) and then get your QB on a rookie deal.   Don't want to put a young QB on a bad team and mess them up like the Jets and Jags are currently doing.   

I wouldn't mind getting the QB earlier than that and having him ride the pine for a year or so.  I think it would be helpful to have him be able to practice and learn for a year before having to lead the team.

That said, I won't go a draft a QB just to make sure I had him on the roster a year early.  If there's no franchise QB type options in the draft, don't reach for one just to have the "QB of the future" on the team.

stafford currently #1 in dvoa qb rankings.  and that's after playing two top 10 defenses (tampa and chicago).  goff currently #21 after playing 2 good defenses and the terrible packers defense.

there is a big gulf between stafford and goff and you can see why the rams wanted stafford so bad.

goff is ok as a (extremely expensive) place holder and potential game manager.  but that's all he is.

but it could be worse, he could be carson wentz.

Wojo brought up a great point last night about why college football seems more competitive this year.   The transfer portal. Teams who once had 2nd or even 3rd string players who would start for 80% of the country are losing those players as they become starters at other schools.  Mel Tucker's played this brilliantly.     

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

fields, wilson, lawrence, and jones are all in the bottom 6.  if tua had enough snaps, he would be in the bottom 4.  his replacement is putting up the same production as he did when he was healthy.

Fields got sacked 9 times last week?    Wilson and Lawrence are on terrible teams and Bill Belichick's getting exposed without Brady and without cheating.     Look at well Justin Herbert did last year............it was because the Chargers were already a good team. who got a high pick because of a ton of injuries the year before.   If Trey Lance was starting he'd have a great advantage too, but the 49ers are easing him in.    

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm confused. Stafford doesn't beat good teams or good defenses? 

its amazing how good he looks away from a terrible organization.

of course, most lions fans could tell you that he's looked almost this good in the past too, but nobody noticed because he was busy losing in detroit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Fields got sacked 9 times last week?    Wilson and Lawrence are on terrible teams and Bill Belichick's getting exposed without Brady and without cheating.     Look at well Justin Herbert did last year............it was because the Chargers were already a good team. who got a high pick because of a ton of injuries the year before.   If Trey Lance was starting he'd have a great advantage too, but the 49ers are easing him in.    

next season will be the bigger tests for this year's rookies.  they are really in bad spots right now.  hard to judge them on it.

tua is a different story.  he looks the same and brisset has come in and played just as well or better.  plus tua is hurt again now.

im glad the lions didnt tether their future to that guy even if okudah is likely a bust.  easier to start over at corner than qb.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They can cut Goff after 2022 and save $20 million in cap space. They really aren't tied to Goff after next year. 

But no reason to dump until they get a replacement.

And, just personally, I'd rather build up the team next year with WR's, CB's and LB'ers... 

And hunt our "QB-of-the-future" the following year...

UNLESS one of 2022's QB's turns out to be "can't-miss/ once-in-a-generation" but... I don't think any of them are all that at this point. Doesn't say 2023 will get one or two of those but... if no one stands out, then I wait until 2023...

I see three or four models to drafting a franchise QB.

- The Jets/Jags/Lions Method: Draft the QB as you build the team

- The Bills Method: Build the team, draft and start the QB

- The Chiefs Method: Build the team, draft the QB, let him sit, then plug and play.

A 4th method (the 49ers Method I guess) can be tied into the Chiefs too - build the team, draft the QB, utilize him in specialized packages the first year, then plug and play. This only works with some QBs though (like Lance).

I think the right QB can succeed in any of these methods (e.g., I think Mahomes would still be good had he been drafted by a rebuilding team that made him start from day one), but I think you position both the QB and the team for the most amount of future success with the Chiefs method, if you can afford it. On the other hand, I think the wrong QB can fail in any of these methods (e.g., I am not at all sold on Jordan Love).

I wouldn't be surprised and (probably) would not be that upset if Goff is here into 2024 or so. If he can be a middle-of-the-road QB and not lose us games, I'd prefer that over forcing the issue early and picking up the bust that costs Holmes and Campbell their jobs. I don't see anyone inspiring in 2022 anyway. It does look (early) that 2023 will be better.