Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whether it is Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, drafting Malik Willis this year and watching his career progress, or any other QB in the league, you will never convince me that it is worth paying your QB 15-16-17% of your teams total cap space when they have won nothing of note ever and have that lack of success in the playoffs and against upper tier/above average defenses that Stafford has. You just can't anchor your team to that kind of a contract unless they are an elite QB. Just ask Minnesota with Kirk Cousins now, who is taking up 16% of their cap space. If you are preforming at the level of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, you can get away with doing that. Otherwise, you're just as well off finding yourself a Baker Mayfield, Trent Dilfer or Peyton Manning the Denver years and taking that excess cap money and spreading it around to make your team better elsewhere.

Was it worth paying Goff all that money? He did, after all, win an NFC Championship 

Aaron Rodgers hasn't played in a Super Bowl in over 10 years. Tom Brady padded his stats in the Rams loss by scoring a meaningless touchdown with only a minute left but funny no stat padding complaints. He also threw 3 INTs in the NFC Championship. Peyton Manning signed a $96 million contract with Denver. He accounted for about 16% of the cap. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Was it worth paying Goff all that money? He did, after all, win an NFC Championship 

Aaron Rodgers hasn't played in a Super Bowl in over 10 years. Tom Brady padded his stats in the Rams loss by scoring a meaningless touchdown with only a minute left but funny no stat padding complaints. He also threw 3 INTs in the NFC Championship. Peyton Manning signed a $96 million contract with Denver. He accounted for about 16% of the cap. 

no.  the rules only apply to matt stafford and/or jim harbaugh.  lol.

23 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

No, clearly not, that's why he got shipped out of town. Goff had a good season or two worth of football and then regressed back to who he normally is. Few QBs are worth the salary and cap space they take up and it's hurting teams when they pay 15%+ of their salary cap to a guy who doesn't live up to expectations.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No, clearly not, that's why he got shipped out of town. Goff had a good season or two worth of football and then regressed back to who he normally is. Few QBs are worth the salary and cap space they take up and it's hurting teams when they pay 15%+ of their salary cap to a guy who doesn't live up to expectations.

yeah, shipped out of town for MATT STAFFORD.  who costs even MORE money.

This may be the end of Jon Gruden period as far as any high profile job whether it be in coaching or announcing.

I just can't see a team, program or network touching him after the things that he said, atleast any time soon. He'll be in his mid 60s before I think any major entity would even consider hiring him and by that point Gruden may not even want a gig.

Edited by RandyMarsh

I agree Romad.........He'll probably run for Senate now.    He's got a shot with this Republican party.   He can't go to MNF again.  

URBAN MEYER, COME ON DOWN, YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT IN...................YOU'RE FIRED!

What a debacle.     With the NFL looking to avoid a billion dollar lawsuit with St. Louis, it wouldn't shock me to see Jacksonville relocate there - or maybe even Toronto.      This Urban Meyer hiring was supposed to solidify them there, and it's been a disaster.   

All our coach did is get choked up.  I'm fine with that.   His players would run through a wall for him.  

47 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I agree Romad.........He'll probably run for Senate now.    He's got a shot with this Republican party.   He can't go to MNF again.  

URBAN MEYER, COME ON DOWN, YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT IN...................YOU'RE FIRED!

What a debacle.     With the NFL looking to avoid a billion dollar lawsuit with St. Louis, it wouldn't shock me to see Jacksonville relocate there - or maybe even Toronto.      This Urban Meyer hiring was supposed to solidify them there, and it's been a disaster.   

All our coach did is get choked up.  I'm fine with that.   His players would run through a wall for him.  

I'd settle for playing defense with under a minute left when ahead in the 4th quarter, but I guess running through walls is what we get instead.

I'm not annoyed this cost him his job, but I am annoyed that the Raiders are going to get to act like some holier-than-thou organization because of it. If he was actually winning in Vegas, they would have stood behind him and released some joint statement of apology. They wanted him out after he tied himself to Derek Carr and couldn't make the playoffs, or even break .500, after three years. More of the same this year too in a division with three contenders.

Mark Davis saw an 'out' to that monstrosity of a contract he stupidly agreed to and capitalized on it. I'm sure there was some back-door dealing going on too and that Gruden is taking home a healthy paycheck in exchange for not dragging this out and making them try to fire him for-cause.

One of the most overrated coaches in NFL history.

I don't feel bad for Gruden. It is odd though that his emails are the only thing that leaked from the investigation into the WFT. That reeks of a separate agenda from someone. That said, I would be surprised if there isn't more to come, not only regarding Washington, but things related to other teams/owners/coaches as well. No way Gruden was the only one sending stupid emails to Bruce Allen.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was surprised when I read the Raiders have only 1 winning season since they made the Super Bowl in 2003. That's even worse than the Lions. 

Wasn't part of Gruden's deal that he got an ownership stake in the team? I wonder how that will play out. 

no, from what i read he did not get part of the team.

Gruden has got to be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL. I cannot believe anybody fell for his BS intensity act.

Not defending him at all, but it unclear to me who is leaking these emails and why. They came from the WFC investigation, and so far the only person to get in trouble is .. the guy who sent horrific emails to NFL management bros while working at ESPN?

41 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Gruden has got to be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL. I cannot believe anybody fell for his BS intensity act.

Not defending him at all, but it unclear to me who is leaking these emails and why. They came from the WFC investigation, and so far the only person to get in trouble is .. the guy who sent horrific emails to NFL management bros while working at ESPN?

i have a feeling there are a lot more emails out there and the nfl is trying to hide them.

but someone must have it out for gruden to release these and not many else.

i suspect we'll see some more filter out and other actions taken.  snyder has a reputation as a jerk and i suspect he's said some stuff...

If one were able to secure the $100k capital necessary to use the NFL name and branding, do you think the NFL and Lions would license out their name, likeness, branding, and trademarks to start up my business idea?

What I want to do is open up the Detroit Lions: SOL Museum of Futility downtown Detroit. The idea would be much like a regular museum. One in which fans can walk through various interactive displays and go through guided tours to learn more about the tortured history and futility of the Detroit Lions.

The museum would consist of various sections including a gift shop, bar & grill restaurant, and of course the museum exhibits themselves. Each exhibit would be broken down into decades. Each decade would have all-time SOL moments on display. There, fans can read about and watch various moments of futility associated with this franchise. From the 1950s and the Fords buying the team to give to William Clay Ford to the 1980's and the Lions drafting a Fullback over a franchise QB in Jim Kelly to the 1990s and Barry Sanders retiring via a fax to the 2000s with Matt Millen and Marty taking the wind to the 2010s to the 2010s and Jim Schwartz throwing a challenge flag when he couldn't. If it is an SOL moment, it will be on full display. As a fan you get to walk through the maze of mediocrity, decade by decade and witness SOL history.

At the end of your trip you go through to the giftshop where you can buy SOL memorabilia. You can get ticket packages that include autographed paper bags to put over your head, signed by by all time SOL greats, like Scott Mitchell, Wayne Fotnes, Germaine Crowell, Marty Mornhinweg, Matt Millen, Martin Mayhew, Matt Patricia, and others.

So, do you think the NFL will be receptive to this idea and license out their and the Lions trademarks and such to start this museum? Also, as a Lions fan, if you like in Metro Detroit or were in-town visiting, would you check out the museum if such a thing were to become a reality?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad