Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

i understand the sentiment of getting the lions to enter the exalted "loveable losers" area that the red sox and cubs occupied and profited off for years, but i dont think that will work with an nfl team.  it is much less about nostalgia and history than baseball.

maybe in another 30 or 40 years?  but i dont see it.

plus, they team itself will not want to be associated with losing like that.  few brands would do that to themselves and their employees, exalting in their failure.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

i understand the sentiment of getting the lions to enter the exalted "loveable losers" area that the red sox and cubs occupied and profited off for years, but i dont think that will work with an nfl team.  it is much less about nostalgia and history than baseball.

maybe in another 30 or 40 years?  but i dont see it.

plus, they team itself will not want to be associated with losing like that.  few brands would do that to themselves and their employees, exalting in their failure.

As a Lions fan, if you were in town in Detroit for a game or visiting whomever, would you and a group of buddies pay $50 or so a ticket to take a tour through the museum/hall of shame? An unscientific poll of my friends and coworkers almost everyone said they would go at least once.

I think the average fan would go at least once. I think they'd get a kick out of to seeing an exhibit where Monty Clark is praying while Eddie Murray kicks and misses the field goal or where Germaine Crowell stays inbounds and runs out the clock. We don't have good memories to elicit as a franchise, so this would be a loveable, laughable nostalgia trip for fans I think.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As a Lions fan, if you were in town in Detroit for a game or visiting whomever, would you and a group of buddies pay $50 or so a ticket to take a tour through the museum/hall of shame? An unscientific poll of my friends and coworkers almost everyone said they would go at least once.

I think the average fan would go at least once. I think they'd get a kick out of to seeing an exhibit where Monty Clark is praying while Eddie Murray kicks and misses the field goal or where Germaine Crowell stays inbounds and runs out the clock. We don't have good memories to elicit as a franchise, so this would be a loveable, laughable nostalgia trip for fans I think.

people dont care enough about the lions to do that.  come on...

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think the real reason he is excited is cause he knows its going to feel like a day off covering our receivers and facing our qb.

I see no reason why Slay won’t get a very warm welcome from Lions fans.   He didn’t do anything wrong.  Just another dude in a long line of dudes that Quintricia mistakenly thought the franchise would be better off without.  

13 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I remember watching that Germaine Crowell game live. I can still see the exasperated look on Charlie Batch's face. I think he even fell to his knees in disbelief. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here's a more positive moment. One game I remember fondly when the Lions beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Rams. Note the Rams only rushed 3 and the Lions converted a 4th and 26. 

Yep remember this game like it was yesterday aswell. This brought us to 6-2 and first in the NFC. Of course we struggled down the stretch and only got a wild card spot, then got destroyed by Washington. Considering  Barry retired right before the season and we were terrible the year before it was still a good season. 

On a side note to that game, that started the "6-2 Arizona curse" that I made up. Starting with that year I believe its been 3 times the Lions started 6-2 since then and all 3 times they played Arizona the next week, lost then proceeded to struggle the rest of the way in.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Its also the Lions luck that the two times in the past 29 years that they won 11 games all they could muster is a 6 seed. Like the years the Lions are a 9 or 10 win team its never a year that the division is down so they could get lucky and host a playoff game, they always end up having to go on the road and usually in one of the tougher environments or matchups. 

Rodgers was frustrated with his receivers for most of the game.  Aaron Jones was the leading receiver.  He did throw 2 TDs to the WR he allegedly forced the team to trade for in the offseason.  This game was proof that great QBs with a strong running game can be successful.  The receivers did not look good at all.  The longest pass was to Tonyan, a TE, for 33 yards.  The longest pass to a WR was 12 yards.

It also took a defensive TD and a muffed punt inside the 5 yard line (which they couldn't turn into a TD) to get 10 of the 24 points.  They got the win because of one of the ugliest plays of the year by the Cardinals.

33 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Rodgers was frustrated with his receivers for most of the game.  Aaron Jones was the leading receiver.  He did throw 2 TDs to the WR he allegedly forced the team to trade for in the offseason.  This game was proof that great QBs with a strong running game can be successful.  The receivers did not look good at all.  The longest pass was to Tonyan, a TE, for 33 yards.  The longest pass to a WR was 12 yards.

It also took a defensive TD and a muffed punt inside the 5 yard line (which they couldn't turn into a TD) to get 10 of the 24 points.  They got the win because of one of the ugliest plays of the year by the Cardinals.

and they won last week despite washington spending most of the second half inside green bay's 20 yard line.

football is a funny sport.