Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Jim Caldwell would be a great hire for Jacksonville this off-season. He may not take them all the way, but that franchise desperately needs some stability right now. Dabo would be interesting, and I think he’d take the job in a heartbeat if offered. I don’t think they’ll offer him though fresh off a colossal failure of a first-time college coach transplant.

Because it’s Jacksonville, they’ll probably go with like Bill O’Brien or Nathanial Hackett, both of whom I think would fail in Jacksonville.

Leftwich makes sense because he played there, but he looks to have a pretty bright coaching future and it might not be the best idea to take your first shot with such a dysfunctional franchise.   It is hard to believe that Jacksonville was one play away from the Super Bowl just four years ago.    Lefty might be better off waiting for a shot with a team that is closer like the Vikings, Eagles or Panthers

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Leftwich makes sense because he played there, but he looks to have a pretty bright coaching future and it might not be the best idea to take your first shot with such a dysfunctional franchise.   It is hard to believe that Jacksonville was one play away from the Super Bowl just four years ago.    Lefty might be better off waiting for a shot with a team that is closer like the Vikings, Eagles or Panthers

I think another piece to be considered is that the Jags also swung and missed on their GM pick, they just don't know it yet. Trent Baalke was the problem in SF, not Harbaugh. If Baalke is given control over the selection, I have little doubt he will screw it up, as he's yet to get a coaching decision correct. FFS, he hired Jim Tomsula to replace Harbaugh.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Bring in the lawyers!

The story of him kicking the kicker,  I find that hard to believe, but here's the thing - he treated a lot of people like shit and when you do that,  like - a week earlier having his assistant coaches justify their resume in front of everyone - even if it wasn't true, you are going to have a queue of people out the door ready to say it was or that they saw everything.   That's the "cause" right there, physically assaulting an employee.  Maybe you get away with that in 1985, but not now.  

I guess Interim-Coach-For-Hire Darrell Bevel said that on Wednesday Meyer left practice (early afternoon) and just never came back and wasn't answering any phone calls.    They still had plenty of work to do with players and coaches with prepping and looking at film and he was just gone.     

Is this guy just going to go back on TV now?   Like, "Hi, I'm Uncle Urbie.".    I wouldn't touch that guy.  He's just toxic.   But, if Rick Pitino and Bobby Petrino kept getting jobs.....................

URBAN DECAY IN JACKSONVILLE   

On 12/18/2021 at 9:47 AM, Hongbit said:

Bring in the lawyers!

So are they saying that Jacksonville basically didn't want to keep around anymore and searched for a reason to fire him that would let them get out of the contact? If we assume that's true (and honestly, I believe it) then it all depends on whether they reason they found was a good enough reason to stand on it's own. 

I means it's a tricky thing because we all know that if the kicked a player (let's assume it's true for the sake of argument) AND the team was doing really well, they'd probably find a way to sweep it under the rug.  So on one hand Meyer could argue that this wouldn't have been an offense that a good coach would get fired for, therefore this is a witch hunt, and therefore pay me my money.

But on the other hand, physically attacking an employee is certainly big enough of an offense that it would get a lot of people fired.  If a company wasn't looking to fire a person, then found out he kicked someone and fired the person for that, most people would say: "Yeah, I get it. Can't have that in the work place."  Not too many people would try to sue their employer and claim being fired for kicking a coworker was too stiff a penalty. 

The Jags may have been looking for an excuse to get out of Meyer's contract. But unfortunately for Meyer, he gave them a really good excuse in my humble opinion.

43 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

So are they saying that Jacksonville basically didn't want to keep around anymore and searched for a reason to fire him that would let them get out of the contact? If we assume that's true (and honestly, I believe it) then it all depends on whether they reason they found was a good enough reason to stand on it's own. 

I means it's a tricky thing because we all know that if the kicked a player (let's assume it's true for the sake of argument) AND the team was doing really well, they'd probably find a way to sweep it under the rug.  So on one hand Meyer could argue that this wouldn't have been an offense that a good coach would get fired for, therefore this is a witch hunt, and therefore pay me my money.

But on the other hand, physically attacking an employee is certainly big enough of an offense that it would get a lot of people fired.  If a company wasn't looking to fire a person, then found out he kicked someone and fired the person for that, most people would say: "Yeah, I get it. Can't have that in the work place."  Not too many people would try to sue their employer and claim being fired for kicking a coworker was too stiff a penalty. 

The Jags may have been looking for an excuse to get out of Meyer's contract. But unfortunately for Meyer, he gave them a really good excuse in my humble opinion.

its a poorly worded tweet.  i think the tweet is trying to explain what "fired for cause" means, and is not saying they were looking for a reason to not pay him.

but i could be wrong.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Did anyone see this thing about Home Market Areas for NFL teams among various regions of the World. 

NFL announces international home marketing area teams and markets

Anyone who wonders if the NFL Detroit Lions are step children...we are step-children to the league. 

Kinda a weird thing... I don't understand how all this is supposed to work given that many teams have multiple areas and many areas have multiple teams.

And yeah, the Lions don't have one, but neither do the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Packers, Colts, Chargers, Saints, Giants, Eagles, Titans or Washington... so nearly half the league. 

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Kinda a weird thing... I don't understand how all this is supposed to work given that many teams have multiple areas and many areas have multiple teams.

And yeah, the Lions don't have one, but neither do the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Packers, Colts, Chargers, Saints, Giants, Eagles, Titans or Washington... so nearly half the league. 

Very weird how this broke down.  If it means that the teams on the list you identified don't care about revenues overseas or don't want to travel ever overseas...well, I can understand that.    

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Very weird how this broke down.  If it means that the teams on the list you identified don't care about revenues overseas or don't want to travel ever overseas...well, I can understand that.    

Yeah, that might be part of it... I think it's about marketing and doing things overseas to try and expand your fan base, so I suppose there has to be some level of commitment to working in those areas and it's entirely possible the 14 either didn't want to do that or didn't seem like they were be able to do it to the NFL's standards.

But even beyond that I'm trying to understand if a team is awarded a country... is that the entire country?  And do the countries that have multiple teams, do they get different geographical areas?  It just seems odd.  Not that I expect the NFL to sit down and explain their marketing strategy to individual fans, but I just have so many questions...

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Did anyone see this thing about Home Market Areas for NFL teams among various regions of the World. 

NFL announces international home marketing area teams and markets

Anyone who wonders if the NFL Detroit Lions are step children...we are step-children to the league. 

Yes but wait until the Interstellar list comes out. 🥸

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions are not a popular team.  come on.  theyre always bad.  they dont have the historical cachet of teams like the bears and the vikings either.  the league isnt going to market them until they start winning.

But the Lions already have a sizable Canadian fanbase in Windsor. So can't the league just acknowledge that folks in the Windsor/Windsor metro area are Lions fans?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the lions are not a popular team.  come on.  theyre always bad.  they dont have the historical cachet of teams like the bears and the vikings either.  the league isnt going to market them until they start winning.

It's not as simple as bad teams don't get markets, good team do.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that that definitely comes into play, but there are plenty of teams who aren't "Lions Bad" who didn't get a market, and most glaringly the Packers did not get one.

i doubt the reason is that the nfl doesnt like the lions or treats them as step children.

as far as i'm concerned, the lions arent marketable to anyone because they're the worst.  start from there and make your assumptions that way.

but my wife tells me the lions have a great tik tok account, so maybe theyre finally moving in the right direction on marketing?