Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I find it more odd the Bills are marketed in Canada since they actually played games in Canada. I have to imagine if the NFL was truly popular in Canada, Toronto would have had a team a long time ago. That's a large untapped market. 

i thought the nfl and cfl had an agreement that the nfl wouldnt put a franchise in canada?  i thought i read that somewhere.

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Fields blows.  Glad the lions didn’t take him.  

I feel like this year’s QB class has shown how much a prospect (at least in their rookie year) can be a product of their surroundings. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields have largely looked awful with their respective awful orgs, while Lance has looked OK and Mac Jones has looked pretty good on better orgs.

Largely, I feel like these could be interchangeable. If the Patriots had taken Fields, I would bet he looks much better than he does right now.

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

This Bears Viking MNF game is pretty boring, but my biggest takeaway is that Fields doesn’t tighten his chinstrap.  He has the pull through type and both of them are almost at at the stops, visibly loose.  Just seems like a real stupid thing to do.

Kendricks gets ejected for smoking Fields in the head while sliding and now his helmet is actually tightened.

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I feel like this year’s QB class has shown how much a prospect (at least in their rookie year) can be a product of their surroundings. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields have largely looked awful with their respective awful orgs, while Lance has looked OK and Mac Jones has looked pretty good on better orgs.

Largely, I feel like these could be interchangeable. If the Patriots had taken Fields, I would bet he looks much better than he does right now.

Yep, virtually every young qb that has succeeded the past decade came into situations that had pieces already around them. Whether it be Jones, Herbert, Murray, Mahomes, Lamar, Burrow or Josh Allen.

The ones that were forced to start with a bare cupboard have naturally struggled, that's why Im loving what the Lions have been doing. If they can get another solid receiver through the draft or FA, particularly one who can play on the outside then whomever comes in should have the pieces to succeed from day 1.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Interested to take a look at Tua and the Dolphins tonight.   Not sure what to make of them.    They’ve won 6 in a row but they played Giants, Panthers, Texans, Jags, and Jets 2x.    Talk about an advantageous schedule.    

dink dunk dink dunk dink dunk

Coaching jobs that will probably be open

Chicago - Nagy will probably be out as early as next week.  Jim Harbaugh will get mentioned, but he'll stay at Michigan

Minnesota - Zimmer has gotten stale.

Jacksonville - Already open.  Byron Leftwich and Jim Caldwell are top candidates

Las Vegas -  If they make the playoffs and win a game, they might stick with Rich Risaccia.  If they change it's impossible to predict what they'll do, they're the Raiders.  It'll be a coach who will get along with Aaron Rodgers

Seattle - I think they let Pete Carroll retire rather than consider it a firing.  Total reset coming.  Russ might replace Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. 

Houston - Can't blame their coach for how bad they are, but they'll make a change.  Maybe former Lions preseason QB of the future Kellen Moore?   

Denver - Vic Fangio needed to have a better year.  Elway can't seem to find a QB.   Eric Bieniemy would fit here.

Pittsburgh -  I see the Steelers possibly doing a total reset.  They should have told Ben to stay home 4 years ago, it's hurt their team.  If Tomlin does get fired I think he could get hired by another team right away.  Chicago and the NY Giants are a good fit.   Giants say they are sticking with Joe Judge, but if someone better comes along, they'll do it. 

Carolina - I don't know if Matt Rhule gets fired this year.  They might give him one more year, but he'd have to make the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Coaching jobs that will probably be open

Chicago - Nagy will probably be out as early as next week.  Jim Harbaugh will get mentioned, but he'll stay at Michigan

Minnesota - Zimmer has gotten stale.

Jacksonville - Already open.  Byron Leftwich and Jim Caldwell are top candidates

Las Vegas -  If they make the playoffs and win a game, they might stick with Rich Risaccia.  If they change it's impossible to predict what they'll do, they're the Raiders.  It'll be a coach who will get along with Aaron Rodgers

Seattle - I think they let Pete Carroll retire rather than consider it a firing.  Total reset coming.  Russ might replace Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. 

Houston - Can't blame their coach for how bad they are, but they'll make a change.  Maybe former Lions preseason QB of the future Kellen Moore?   

Denver - Vic Fangio needed to have a better year.  Elway can't seem to find a QB.   Eric Bieniemy would fit here.

Pittsburgh -  I see the Steelers possibly doing a total reset.  They should have told Ben to stay home 4 years ago, it's hurt their team.  If Tomlin does get fired I think he could get hired by another team right away.  Chicago and the NY Giants are a good fit.   Giants say they are sticking with Joe Judge, but if someone better comes along, they'll do it. 

Carolina - I don't know if Matt Rhule gets fired this year.  They might give him one more year, but he'd have to make the playoffs. 

I'll add Kliff Kingsbury to this list. Another collapse cannot be helping. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Let me be clear up front that I don't think it is likely in the least, but should M win out in the playoff we are going to be driven absolutely crazy locally with Harbaugh speculation.

The playoff result doesn’t matter.   Speculation will be strong until he signs a large extension from UM.   He was on a prove it contract and he proved it   Time for UM to step up or lose him.  All the sentimentality for his alma mater won’t make up for the disrespect if they don’t make him one of the top paid coaches in the country.   

I also can’t think of a reason why Harbaugh shouldn’t be the Bears top candidate.   He’s an ideal fit for them. 

Edited by Hongbit

Chicago - Nagy and Pace both should have been gone last year. Ryan Day speculation will also circulate because of the Fields connection, but Chicago ownership would be asinine to do that. Then again......

Minnesota - I thought Zimmer was one of the best coaches in the NFL a few years ago, though granted I had Patricia to compare him to. He's been very bad this year. I don't think he survives, but he deserves another shot after a year or two off.

Jacksonville - I think Caldwell would be the best possible hire for that franchise. He won't win anything with them, but he will make them into a 8-9/9-8 franchise, which they (and TLaw's career) desperately need right now.

Las Vegas -  I think they should probably stick with Bisaccia, but if they do add Rodgers I could see them adding Rodgers' pick of the litter.

Seattle - I agree that Carroll will retire into the sunset as they blow it up.

Houston - I don't think they should make a change. I want to see them throw their four wins with Davis Mills in Watson's face, considering he had the same success last year. 

Denver - I think Fangio deserves another year, but I think it will depend on their last two games against the Chargers and Chiefs. 0-2 might see him canned. It's just not his fault the team isn't making the next step, and I think a replacement off the street would have that Broncos team at 3 or 4 wins.

Pittsburgh -  The Steelers don't take change lightly. I think the mistake of allowing Roethlisberger to go on for far too long will fall at the feet of the entire organization, not just Tomlin. He'll get the chance to pick a replacement (this is my pick for Russell Wilson's destination).

Carolina - I think Rhule is a goner. Similar situation to Denver, but 5 wins in the NFC South is a lot less than 7 in the AFC West.

NY Giants - Either Daniel Jones is the answer or he isn't. If he is, Judge should be gone. If he's not, then maybe Judge should get another year (unless it's his fault Jones is not).

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The playoff result doesn’t matter.   Speculation will be strong until he signs a large extension from UM.   He was on a prove it contract and he proved it   Time for UM to step up or lose him.  All the sentimentality for his alma mater won’t make up for the disrespect if they don’t make him one of the top paid coaches in the country.   

I also can’t think of a reason why Harbaugh shouldn’t be the Bears top candidate.   He’s an ideal fit for them. 

If he wants to stay at UM, money will not be an issue. If MSU boosters can make Tucker one of the highest paid coaches, UM boosters (hell, Ross alone) will say "what do you want we'll double it".

I think he likely ends up staying at Michigan, but I wouldn't put the odds he leaves at zero. Especially if Michigan wins their next game or two. Harbaugh has just always been a wildcard.