Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of Harbaugh, how much leash does John have? Does Baltimore look for a change? 

Nope.  Not yet.    I think he gets another year.    They can still make a run in the playoffs.   AFC is up for grabs.    Feels like who ever gets hot at the right time could win it.   KC and Indy have been on fire lately, but that could change.

And Love to say I told you so, but Cincinnati really is a better team this year,  I think there's enough of a sample size to confirm that now.       Every year there's a Worst-To-First team and this year it's them.    

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If he wants to stay at UM, money will not be an issue. If MSU boosters can make Tucker one of the highest paid coaches, UM boosters (hell, Ross alone) will say "what do you want we'll double it".

I think he likely ends up staying at Michigan, but I wouldn't put the odds he leaves at zero. Especially if Michigan wins their next game or two. Harbaugh has just always been a wildcard.

harbaugh isnt going anywhere.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Chicago - Nagy and Pace both should have been gone last year. Ryan Day speculation will also circulate because of the Fields connection, but Chicago ownership would be asinine to do that. Then again......

Minnesota - I thought Zimmer was one of the best coaches in the NFL a few years ago, though granted I had Patricia to compare him to. He's been very bad this year. I don't think he survives, but he deserves another shot after a year or two off.

Jacksonville - I think Caldwell would be the best possible hire for that franchise. He won't win anything with them, but he will make them into a 8-9/9-8 franchise, which they (and TLaw's career) desperately need right now.

Las Vegas -  I think they should probably stick with Bisaccia, but if they do add Rodgers I could see them adding Rodgers' pick of the litter.

Seattle - I agree that Carroll will retire into the sunset as they blow it up.

Houston - I don't think they should make a change. I want to see them throw their four wins with Davis Mills in Watson's face, considering he had the same success last year. 

Denver - I think Fangio deserves another year, but I think it will depend on their last two games against the Chargers and Chiefs. 0-2 might see him canned. It's just not his fault the team isn't making the next step, and I think a replacement off the street would have that Broncos team at 3 or 4 wins.

Pittsburgh -  The Steelers don't take change lightly. I think the mistake of allowing Roethlisberger to go on for far too long will fall at the feet of the entire organization, not just Tomlin. He'll get the chance to pick a replacement (this is my pick for Russell Wilson's destination).

Carolina - I think Rhule is a goner. Similar situation to Denver, but 5 wins in the NFC South is a lot less than 7 in the AFC West.

NY Giants - Either Daniel Jones is the answer or he isn't. If he is, Judge should be gone. If he's not, then maybe Judge should get another year (unless it's his fault Jones is not).

chicago will 100% fire nagy.  pace may stay.  i doubt seattle fires carroll.  pittsburgh will 100% not fire mike tomlin.  no way.  houston will not fire its coach.  the giants have said judge is coming back, but we'll see.  vegas coach is gone for sure.

gonna be a lot of harbaugh to the raiders or bears speculation.  expect to see a lot of breathless albert breer tweets about it, just like when he came to michigan and breer said there was no way he would ever leave the nfl for college.

harbaugh is a different kind of cat.  i think its 98% he stays at michigan.  if he wins a national championship he might leave, but i still doubt it.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

chicago will 100% fire nagy.  pace may stay.  i doubt seattle fires carroll.  pittsburgh will 100% not fire mike tomlin.  no way.  houston will not fire its coach.  the giants have said judge is coming back, but we'll see.  vegas coach is gone for sure.

gonna be a lot of harbaugh to the raiders or bears speculation.  expect to see a lot of breathless albert breer tweets about it, just like when he came to michigan and breer said there was no way he would ever leave the nfl for college.

harbaugh is a different kind of cat.  i think its 98% he stays at michigan.  if he wins a national championship he might leave, but i still doubt it.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

harbaugh isnt going anywhere.

What’s the hold up then on the 
Michigan side?  The sooner they offer him a fat extension, the sooner all talk of him leaving dissipates.   It’s not like they are waiting to see what happens in the playoff before they decide if they want tot keep him or not.   It’s certainly not like Michigan doesn’t have the money to pay him.

I wonder what is really happening behind the scenes.    Who knows, because he’s such a strange cat, maybe Harbaugh is the one slow playing it.    Maybe Warde secretly loves Gattis or Hart and wants them to get the job.  Maybe Harbaugh wants to go to the. NFL for a new challenge now that he’s got UM back.   Maybe some segment of all of the above is true or maybe none of it is.   Who knows.  This is what online message boards are for.  What I do know is that he’s going to be a hot commodity in the NFL.  

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What’s the hold up then on the 
Michigan side?  The sooner they offer him a fat extension, the sooner all talk of him leaving dissipates.   It’s not like they are waiting to see what happens in the playoff before they decide if they want tot keep him or not.   It’s certainly not like Michigan doesn’t have the money to pay him.

I wonder what is really happening behind the scenes.    Who knows, because he’s such a strange cat, maybe Harbaugh is the one slow playing it.    Maybe Warde secretly loves Gattis or Hart and wants them to get the job.  Maybe Harbaugh wants to go to the. NFL for a new challenge now that he’s got UM back.   Maybe some segment of all of the above is true or maybe none of it is.   Who knows.  This is what online message boards are for.  What I do know is that he’s going to be a hot commodity in the NFL.  

again, you're acting like harbaugh is a coach trying to maximize his leverage for a big contract or a new gig.  and that michigan is worried about securing his signature on a new deal.  

again, he's a different cat.  he's made a shit ton of money and he's happy where he's at.  he has no agent so if something gets done, he and michigan will talk about it and do it.  or not. 

there is no other coach for michigan.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

again, you're acting like harbaugh is a coach trying to maximize his leverage for a big contract or a new gig.  and that michigan is worried about securing his signature on a new deal.  

again, he's a different cat.  he's made a shit ton of money and he's happy where he's at.  he has no agent so if something gets done, he and michigan will talk about it and do it.  or not. 

there is no other coach for michigan.

If this is really the case then UM doesn’t need to do anything and Harbaugh will be happy making $4.5M for the next 3 years and remaining the 10th highest paid coach in the conference.    I don’t think it’s the case and that while the actual money may not matter, the fact that his worth is less than half Brian Kelly or Mel Tucker will eat at the competitor in him. 

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If this is really the case then UM doesn’t need to do anything and Harbaugh will be happy making $4.5M for the next 3 years and remaining the 10th highest paid coach in the conference.    I don’t think it’s the case and that while the actual money may not matter, the fact that his worth is less than half Brian Kelly or Mel Tucker will eat at the competitor in him. 

maybe.  maybe they'll renegotiate the deal?

at this point  he can make more money in college than in the pros.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

maybe.  maybe they'll renegotiate the deal?

at this point  he can make more money in college than in the pros.

He made a big bet on himself going into this season and he won that bet no matter what happens on Friday or January 10th.    I think now that he got Ohio State and a Big Ten Championship off his back, he'll be able to breathe a bit.  If he wins another Big Ten title in the next 3 years, he's really there for life.  

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Coaching jobs that will probably be open

Chicago - Nagy will probably be out as early as next week.  Jim Harbaugh will get mentioned, but he'll stay at Michigan

Minnesota - Zimmer has gotten stale.

Jacksonville - Already open.  Byron Leftwich and Jim Caldwell are top candidates

Las Vegas -  If they make the playoffs and win a game, they might stick with Rich Risaccia.  If they change it's impossible to predict what they'll do, they're the Raiders.  It'll be a coach who will get along with Aaron Rodgers

Seattle - I think they let Pete Carroll retire rather than consider it a firing.  Total reset coming.  Russ might replace Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. 

Houston - Can't blame their coach for how bad they are, but they'll make a change.  Maybe former Lions preseason QB of the future Kellen Moore?   

Denver - Vic Fangio needed to have a better year.  Elway can't seem to find a QB.   Eric Bieniemy would fit here.

Pittsburgh -  I see the Steelers possibly doing a total reset.  They should have told Ben to stay home 4 years ago, it's hurt their team.  If Tomlin does get fired I think he could get hired by another team right away.  Chicago and the NY Giants are a good fit.   Giants say they are sticking with Joe Judge, but if someone better comes along, they'll do it. 

Carolina - I don't know if Matt Rhule gets fired this year.  They might give him one more year, but he'd have to make the playoffs. 

Houston has already announced that David Culley will be back. He's done a great job this year.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

a bigger surprise is that he's actually played in 12 games this year.  that's probably 6 more than i expected.

so when do the giants cut him?  after next year?

It would have to be after next year. The Giants would lose cap space if they cut him this offseason.

His season has been bad. Another reason why Stafford was underappreciated. Golladay was not good at getting separation but good at catching balls in traffic. Stafford can put the ball in tight windows and made Golladay a pro bowler.