Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

Was Antonio Brown unable to play due to his ankle injury?

Seems like a stretch because lots of players get injured and can’t return without as much drama.  But it is fuel.

from another story

Bruce Arians on Antonio Brown: “He just can’t help himself”

“Nope, I’m not going in,” Brown told Arians, according to Arians. King notes that, per TheAthletic.com, Brown claimed his ankle was sore. Whatever the specifics, Arians said he became “very” angry with Brown, who proceeded to remove his shoulder pads, jersey, T-shirt, and gloves and leave the field — and then the stadium.

I used to hate Antonio Brown and get pissed off that he kept getting more chances, but now I just feel sorry for him.   He can't control it, he's probably got serious CTE.   This is so far beyond him just being a jerk.   Probably not much can be done for him because he's the one that would have to initiate getting help and I don't think he's got the mental capacity to think beyond the next few minutes.   

I don't think he gets another chance (if you can't keep it together with TB12 as your biggest champion, then who could do it?).   I think giving him another chance only enables this crazy behavior.   I hope he doesn't get into the kind of trouble Titus Young did.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Whatever the reasoning, this hurts the Bucs. Already without Godwin, they're going to be relying past Evans on a lot of receivers who seem more appropriate on the Lions than the defending Super Bowl champs.

So basically the pats teams that won 98 suprebowls?

On 12/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, romad1 said:

I also don't see other step-child team, Washington Team Football. 

Speaking of which:

So, this is happening next month:

I still believe the most obvious win-win is to name the team something military. Make them the Washington Minutemen, or the Washington Calvary or Washington Infantry or Washington Brigade, something along those lines. Or, if you prefer something more elite-sounding, how about the Washington Green Berets or Washington Fighter Pilots or even the Washington Marines? I'm not particularly good at naming teams, but you get the idea.

Renaming the team after the military is a win-win, not only because American Indians no longer have to withstand a racially offensive term thrown in their faces every Sunday, but also because football fans, at least the ones who abhor political correctness and who generally love everything military anyway, would receive in return a badass, kickass team name they can really embrace, and after a very short period of adjustment they will forget all about the "tradition" of the Redskins name.

It does appear, though, that one name I thought was a pretty obvious candidate—Warriors—is off the table because it's too close to being offensive in the same way "Redskins" is.

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The Jags beating the Colts Is unlikely but possible.  The bitter rivals Chargers and Raiders agreeing to tie is not.  

I would be agreeable to a cease fire if I were them. Both teams would be assured a playoff spot, there would be no injuries, and it would essentially be a bye week as you can just have your backups play and kneel down every play.

This is bizarre to me.  San Francisco is the 6th seed but hasn't secured a playoff spot.  Philadelphia is the 7th seed and has their spot locked up.  Now, I'm sure it has something to do with tiebreakers and somehow New Orleans beats San Francisco on a tiebreaker at some point if they tie at 9-8, but it just looks odd at a glance. 

image.png.26ddd74b998f09ea6a42f12ced4bb7ed.png

All I know is that its pathetic a team like the Eagles have already clinched a spot and now people are heaping praise to Hurts. Seriously go look at the teams they beat, they beat up on WFT, Giants, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Jets and other cellar dwellars to get their 9 wins.

The "best" team they beat was a Saints team that was playing their 3rd string QB and missing a bunch of other players. Every decent team they played they lost to and I suspect the playoffs isn't going to be any different. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would be agreeable to a cease fire if I were them. Both teams would be assured a playoff spot, there would be no injuries, and it would essentially be a bye week as you can just have your backups play and kneel down every play.

The league would go ballistic. The Raiders and Chargers would both get the largest fines in the history of the NFL and probably also lose draft picks.  

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

All I know is that its pathetic a team like the Eagles have already clinched a spot and now people are heaping praise to Hurts. Seriously go look at the teams they beat, they beat up on WFT, Giants, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Jets and other cellar dwellars to get their 9 wins.

The "best" team they beat was a Saints team that was playing their 3rd string QB and missing a bunch of other players. Every decent team they played they lost to and I suspect the playoffs isn't going to be any different. 

They're scheduled to play Stafford in the playoffs so that is an automatic win for them. 

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

This is bizarre to me.  San Francisco is the 6th seed but hasn't secured a playoff spot.  Philadelphia is the 7th seed and has their spot locked up.  Now, I'm sure it has something to do with tiebreakers and somehow New Orleans beats San Francisco on a tiebreaker at some point if they tie at 9-8, but it just looks odd at a glance. 

image.png.26ddd74b998f09ea6a42f12ced4bb7ed.png

The funny thing is SF beat Philadelphia so they own the head to head tie breaker but in a 3-way tie with the Eagles and Saints, they lose. 

February 2nd is a random Wednesday, prior to the Super Bowl... It's a weird date to choose, other than it being Groundhog's Day. I would bet it's the Washington Hogs or Washington Groundhogs.

A Google Search also finds that there is a Major League Quidditch team with the name Washington Admirals. I don't know how important MLQ actually is (or fancies themselves to be) but I would have to imagine they at least patent their names.

• Like 1

These are purported to be the leaked finalists for the WFT name, as reported by a newsletter I get from The Athletic:

Let's name a football team

The Washington Football Team, complete with its shoddy stadium railings, will announce the new team name Feb. 2, per a release. The reported finalists: 

• Commanders

• Armada

• Admirals

• Red Hogs

• Presidents

• Sentinels

I’m voting for Red Hogs, simply because it is the coolest of those choices and it's a callback to the Washington teams of the late 80s and early 90s. I doubt they’ll use it — something stately like Commanders or Admirals will win. Snooze.