Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, the Redskins won the division with a 7-9 record. Lets put it in a little perspective. I'm also not ready to say Sheila is the same as Willie Clay Ford. So far, she has done things differently than her father. I have more confidence in Sheila going forward than Snyder. 

i agree that sheila is not the same as wcf.  wcf was incompetent and sheila appears to be not incompetent.

• Haha 1

I think comparing owners is very difficult because there are so many different shapes, sizes, and styles that an owner can come in.

William Clay Ford was one of the worst owners in professional sports history. I’m not prepared to say the same for the entirety of the Ford family, because I don’t think Sheila has done nearly enough to say one way or the other if she’s good or bad. I think she has done enough to say that she’s not her father though.

Many people would call Robert Kraft one of the best owners in the NFL. Why? Because he happens to employ Bill Belichick? Further, how do you compare say Jerry Jones with Shadid Khan? Their styles of ownership are night and day. Its easy on the surface to just compare ownership records, but at the same time if Jones wasn’t so meddling in football operations could they have won a lot more? See Steve Biscotti.

I think you can break the Lions ownership into era's.

The Russ Thomas era where they were clearly not even trying to win. Thomas' old school pre-free agency GM style ran off good coaches, scouts, and players.

Then in the 80's they began to try, but WCF was so inept he failed constantly. It didn't help they would jump from a players coach in Fontes, to a crazy dictator type in Bobby Ross. Then back to a players coach in Mariucci, and so on. When it came to  finding a GM they had no idea what they were doing, and resorted to having a league dinosaur do it for them. And he had no idea how to assess how a GM was performing which explains how Matt Millen lasted as long he did. 

What I believe, or hope, is different now is that first WCF is gone. Second the new owner understands she is not football savvy and brought in a football guy, Speilman, to oversee the operation. Not an accountant, a Ford Exec, drinking buddy, etc. So if a GM is failing he can spot that quicker and not give bad GM's 5-7 years to run the team into the ground. And hopefully instill a culture and retain good people and weed out those that don't perform.

It may not work but it can't get worse.

Edited by Stanley70

I just thought of something. Is Matt Millen the only GM that Willie Clay Ford fired? Russ Thomas retired. Chuck Schmidt was technically the GM but I guess Fontes and Ross where really pulling the strings. Ross did end up resigning but was Schmidt ever fired? There were technically only three GMs in the near 50 years WCF owned the team. 

I do believe Martha did the best she could but we were asking a lot from someone over 90 years old to just jump in and turn around a franchise. 

Now that I think all coaches and GMs have been fired who will be, I'll lay my stake to what will probably only be one or two correct if I am lucky:

• Jaguars HC: Byron Leftwich (Bucs OC)
  • Texans HC: Jerod Mayo (Patriots LB Coach)
  • Vikings HC: Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC)
  • Vikings GM: Monti Ossenfort (Titans Director of Player Personnel)
  • Raiders HC: Nathanial Hackett (Packers OC) - followed soon thereafter by Aaron Rodgers
  • Raiders GM: Ed Dodds (Colts Assistant GM) - along with something funky like an ownership stake
  • Dolphins HC: Eric Bienemy (Chiefs OC)
  • Bears HC: Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)
  • Bears GM: Morocco Brown (Colts Director of College Scouting)
  • Giants HC: Doug Pederson (Former Eagles HC)
  • Giants GM: Ryan Poles (Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel)
  • Broncos HC: Brian Flores (Former Dolphins HC)

And the QB Carousel for Week One 2022:

AFC East

• Patriots: Mac Jones
  • Jets: Zach Wilson
  • Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa
  • Bills: Josh Allen

AFC North

• Ravens: Lamar Jackson
  • Steelers: Russell Wilson
  • Bengals: Joe Burrow
  • Browns: Baker Mayfield

AFC South

• Colts: Matt Corral / Teddy Bridgewater
  • Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence
  • Titans: Ryan Tannehill
  • Texans: Kenny Pickett / Davis Mills

AFC West

• Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes
  • Raiders: Aaron Rodgers
  • Chargers: Justin Herbert
  • Broncos: Jimmy Garoppolo

NFC East

• Cowboys: Dak Prescott
  • Football Team: Derek Carr
  • Eagles: Jalen Hurts / Cam Newton
  • Giants: Sam Howell

NFC North

• Lions: Jared Goff
  • Vikings: Kirk Cousins / Brock Purdy
  • Bears: Justin Fields
  • Packers: Jordan Love

NFC South

• Bucs: Tom Brady
  • Falcons: Matt Ryan / Malik Willis
  • Panthers: Daniel Jones / Desmond Ridder
  • Saints: Deshaun Watson

NFC West

• Rams: Matt Stafford
  • Seahawks: Carson Wentz / Carson Strong
  • 49ers: Trey Lance / Drew Lock
  • Cardinals: Kyler Murray

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Now that I think all coaches and GMs have been fired who will be, I'll lay my stake to what will probably only be one or two correct if I am lucky:

• Jaguars HC: Byron Leftwich (Bucs OC)
  • Texans HC: Jerod Mayo (Patriots LB Coach)
  • Vikings HC: Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC)
  • Vikings GM: Monti Ossenfort (Titans Director of Player Personnel)
  • Raiders HC: Nathanial Hackett (Packers OC) - followed soon thereafter by Aaron Rodgers
  • Raiders GM: Ed Dodds (Colts Assistant GM) - along with something funky like an ownership stake
  • Dolphins HC: Eric Bienemy (Chiefs OC)
  • Bears HC: Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)
  • Bears GM: Morocco Brown (Colts Director of College Scouting)
  • Giants HC: Doug Pederson (Former Eagles HC)
  • Giants GM: Ryan Poles (Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel)
  • Broncos HC: Brian Flores (Former Dolphins HC)

brian dabold in buffalo is getting an hc job somewhere.  i think he'd be the bears' first choice over eberflus, but he is a candidate too.  dabold worked with josh allen, a big mobile qb with raw talent but not a lot of pro offense experience and turned him into a star.  and the bears have a certain justin fields who is the future of their franchise...

but the bears are pretty dumb about picking head coaches so you never know.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

brian dabold in buffalo is getting an hc job somewhere.  i think he'd be the bears' first choice over eberflus, but he is a candidate too.  dabold worked with josh allen, a big mobile qb with raw talent but not a lot of pro offense experience and turned him into a star.  and the bears have a certain justin fields who is the future of their franchise...

but the bears are pretty dumb about picking head coaches so you never know.

He definitely should get a job. The Bears really should be an ideal match, but as you said, they’re pretty dumb. It feels like every year a top candidate ends up without a job, and I guess that’s where I see Daboll being after this cycle.

I had him landing with the Vikings for a little when I was making this, but when l saw that they hadn’t even requested to interview him yet, I backed off that idea.

Caldwell rejected interview requests with the Raiders and Vikings. He has Interview with Jacksonville and Chicago. It could mean he feels he's getting one of those jobs. It could also mean he doesn't like the Vikings or Raiders jobs. The Bears and Jaguars both have young QBs and the Vikings and Raiders have QBs with only one year left on their contract. 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Caldwell rejected interview requests with the Raiders and Vikings. He has Interview with Jacksonville and Chicago. It could mean he feels he's getting one of those jobs. It could also mean he doesn't like the Vikings or Raiders jobs. The Bears and Jaguars both have young QBs and the Vikings and Raiders have QBs with only one year left on their contract. 

I agree that think it might have to do with Jacksonville and Chicago having Lawrence and Fields, while Las Vegas and Minnesota have Carr and Cousins.

Looking at who the Raiders and Vikings have interviewed though, it could also be he felt they were trying to just use him to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

I think he'd do well in Jacksonville. I think he'd do poorly in Chicago.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Texans looked to be a franchise on the rise. They are crashing and burning right now.

Dancing’ Jack Easterby!  Trying to get himself a super religious coach he can manipulate to join the flock.  If any of y’all ever go to Houston please avoid any and all koolaid.

Edited by sagnam

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

IIRC, didn't Caldwell fancy himself as something of a QB whisperer?  I seem to remember he came to the Lions interview and sold the front office on all his talk of what he could do and how he could mentor Stafford.  That would seem to fall in line with your thinking that he'd be interested in jobs with a young QB that he can bring along.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

IIRC, didn't Caldwell fancy himself as something of a QB whisperer?  I seem to remember he came to the Lions interview and sold the front office on all his talk of what he could do and how he could mentor Stafford.  That would seem to fall in line with your thinking that he'd be interested in jobs with a young QB that he can bring along.

Or he has just figured out that coaching teams without quality and stability at QB is a loser! 🤣

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Texans looked to be a franchise on the rise. They are crashing and burning right now.

It all seemed to start with the rift between Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien. They had built a good thing in Houston, but when Bill O'Brien told ownership that it was him or Smith, and they chose Bill, it's been all downhill from there. That was also around the time that Bob McNair was still running the team as owner but was in ailing health.

Now it seems the McNairs want to own the team to say they own an NFL team, but have no interest in actually running an NFL team. Janice McNair attends all NFL owners meetings but has nothing to do with operations of the team. Cal McNair is the President and CEO, but seemingly by title only, as Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio (of all people) have about as much power as any executives in the NFL, without having proven jack. It's really bizarre. I would much rather have Sheila than that cluster.