Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess the theory goes that they were within a TD in 5 losses so a good draft and better injury luck can get you that much improvement. Who knows? That’s why they’ll play the games. 

The Lions lost 3 games on last second FGs, tied one game, lost the Cleveland game by 3, and had a chance to win the Atlanta game before throwing an INT in the endzone. I was also surprised to find that there were 5 teams with a worse point differential than the Lions including the 7 win Falcons. They have 3 picks in the top 34 and better luck with injuries and they should be improved. Talks about winning the division though are more an indictment on how poor the division looks vs the Lions be substantially better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Possible. I just think some people forget that we are picking second. That means we were pretty bad. 

I mean we only beat the packers by 7 the last week. When they sat anybody worth a damn and played jordan love. 

The Packers played almost all their starters including Rodgers in the first half and were still losing at half. The Lions were basically playing a lot of practice squad players against their reserves.

It's highly likely the Packers will be starting Love next year so apparently that's one less team to worry about. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

While I believe this team is devoid of talent, another good draft combined with a solid free agency, developing the talent they do have, and Aaron Rodgers leaving the NFC North could give them a chance to leap up to the 6-7 win territory next year.

And some good fortunate could get them to 9 wins which has a good chance of winning the division. 

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Packers played almost all their starters including Rodgers in the first half and were still losing at half. The Lions were basically playing a lot of practice squad players against their reserves.

It's highly likely the Packers will be starting Love next year so apparently that's one less team to worry about. 

Wait do you think the packers were playing full speed/caring in the first half?

54 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions lost 3 games on last second FGs, tied one game, lost the Cleveland game by 3, and had a chance to win the Atlanta game before throwing an INT in the endzone. I was also surprised to find that there were 5 teams with a worse point differential than the Lions including the 7 win Falcons. They have 3 picks in the top 34 and better luck with injuries and they should be improved. Talks about winning the division though are more an indictment on how poor the division looks vs the Lions be substantially better. 

like you said, the division being bad is the argument for the lions winning it.

they could win 8 games and win the division next year if rodgers leaves.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

Well I guess it’s a good thing I’m not paid for my opinion on sports then. I won’t lose sleep over forgetting about Kellen Mond lol

There were some more as well those were just the two that made me go wait...

56 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You also thought they'd win 8 last year and Stafford and Goff are a wash. So....

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is almost exactly how I see it also.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I'm still surprised Jim Schwartz doesn't seem to get any interest at all. I thought he was deserving of another chance.

It seems like it's minor thing, but I think when he was the DC for Buffalo and they beat the Lions and he got carried off the field - it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.   

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It seems like it's minor thing, but I think when he was the DC for Buffalo and they beat the Lions and he got carried off the field - it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.   

I kind of thought Josh McDaniels alienating his QB and best WR in Denver and reneging on the Colts would rub people the wrong way but apparently not. I would say his downfall in Detroit was an immaturity showed by the team. Those Lions teams always had a knack for personal foul penalties at the most inopportune times. 

• Like 1

I liked Jim Schwartz. I think of the post 0-16 coaches, he is the one I most would have liked to see given one more year. I know putting him above Caldwell in that regard is probably a pretty hot take, but Schwartz was like Campbell in a lot of ways, his players always gave it 100% and left it on the field. There was never a game where I saw his team play to less than their ability.

His last season we lost the last three games by a combined 6 points (one of them in OT) and an additional three games earlier in the season by four or less points. If 2 or 3 of those had been wins, we would have won the North.

His teams were pretty undisciplined, but in hindsight I wonder if that had more to do with the players. Suh is still Suh eight years later, now with Bruce Arians. Titus Young was a problem back then too, and that turned out to be much larger than football.

I guess since he is the head coach everything falls on him but Stafford had arguably his two worst full seasons of his entire career in 2012 and 2013, where as under Caldwell he greatly improved.  How much is due to Caldwell and/or the coaches he hired is hard to say, or is it just a talented QB like Stafford getting better with age? If it's the latter than I'm not so sure it's fair to Schwartz to compare what he did at the end to what Caldwell did. 

I think Schwartz was the perfect guy to take over an 0-16 team.   His attitude was what they needed at the time.   But that wears thin somewhat quickly, and it did in Detroit.    I always thought he'd get another chance, but he seems to be on the outs in football.   

I was rooting for Caldwell to do something no other man has done in my lifetime......get a Head Coaching gig after being the Lions Head Coach.   Looks like a no.   So far, 2 coaches hired, both White guys.   The next couple of hires will be interesting.     Something went sideways with Leftwich and Jacksonville.   Wondering if he gets the Saints gig, but he'll be going to a Saints team that has to be gutted.   The Bears hire seems uninspiring.  The Broncos hiring feels like a move to woo Rodgers.   Texas and Jacksonville look like total disasters.   The Saints and Giants look to be in Salary Cap Purgatory.  The Vikings, Raiders and Dolphins look like good gigs.   

Ranking the best to worst coaching situations right now

1. Las Vegas  - Made the playoffs.  Showed some guts making the playoffs after all the issues there.  Good QB already. I think they should keep Bisaccia, but I think they will go with Josh McDaniels

2. Miami - Still not sure about Tua, but the team is on the cusp of the playoffs.  big move here, the wrong coach sends them back to zero.   I think it's going to be Brian Daboll from the Bills

3. Minnesota - They have a solid team.  The QB is middle of the road, but not a disaster.   DeMeco Ryans sounds like th favorite now

4. NY Giants - The salary cap situation is not good but you'll be taking over a team that has had a couple of very bad Head Coaches, so you may not be so bad by comparison,  I think Brian Flores gets the gig

5. New Orleans - Won't be easy picking up the pieces but NOLA needs to start a rebuild now.  I think Leftwich takes the job because he knows what a clusterflub Jacksonville is

6.  Jacksonville - Doug Peterson?  Jim Caldwell?  Vic Fangio?   Who really wants this gig?

7.  Houston - I don't think David Culley got a fair shot.  What did he have to work with?   I think they go rogue and hire someone like Tom Herman or Jason Garrett or some other person nobody is talking about.  Jonathan Gannon has been linked to this.........Dude, stay with the Eagles, other chances will come next year when Arizona, Carolina and Seattle have vacancies.  

I question the Jags owners but other than that I think that is a pretty attractive job if you believe that Lawrence is that stud QB like he was touted as. Less than a year ago he was touted as one of the 5 best QB prospects in like 40 years, so inheriting a team with that is a big deal. Plus they have a lot of cap space, the number 1 pick this year and play in a division where no teams have any long term QBs(assuming Watson is gone from Houston) so that is another major bonus.  If I was an aspiring Head Coach that would be the job I would be going after.  

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I kind of thought Josh McDaniels alienating his QB and best WR in Denver and reneging on the Colts would rub people the wrong way but apparently not. I would say his downfall in Detroit was an immaturity showed by the team. Those Lions teams always had a knack for personal foul penalties at the most inopportune times. 

IIRC he even ... well, encouraged is too strong of a word ... but certainly didn't seem to be actively upset by the fouls.  He seem to accept them as a consequence of playing aggressively.