Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah I don't think that's the correct wording...

Along the lines of a reward system for "minority opportunities".

But I don't know how that would work either... based on some ranking system? As others have mentioned it shouldn't be HC's only but, rather, all coaches, maybe the front office personnel, etc...? 

Just on semantics alone though... I think I have the better semantics there...

"anti-racism" is a specific term used to denote the current cultural phenomenon that is making its way quite quickly from the academic world to the corporate world and common culture.  its not enough to be "color blind" and to hire, promote, and treat people the same regardless of their background.  people (and by people we mean only white people) must actively consciously be "anti-racist".  

because were all a bunch of racists holding back minorites.  ask kendi.

is flores that upset that he's costing himself the rest of his career?  i mean, he may go back to the pats for bellichick, but the rest of the league isnt going to hire a guy who gets fired from one job and then sues everyone.

who wants that type of guy in your organization?  if anything, this sort of gives credence to the dolphins' rumors that he cant get along with people.

Just now, buddha said:

is flores that upset that he's costing himself the rest of his career?  i mean, he may go back to the pats for bellichick, but the rest of the league isnt going to hire a guy who gets fired from one job and then sues everyone.

who wants that type of guy in your organization?  if anything, this sort of gives credence to the dolphins' rumors that he cant get along with people.

Those were my exact thoughts. He seems to be proving why the Dolphins fired him. Now he's suing teams from before he got hired by the Dolphins. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

what would be evidence of "anti-racism"?

In the context of historical injustice, I think the concepts of promoting diversity, inclusivity, equity, and social justice, particularly when comparing degrees of it (I.e., X is doing better than Y because of Z) is inherently subjective to some extent.

The NFL’s efforts thus far have been objective in nature, which is understandable. Rules are by their nature objective. I think the committee’s job would be to examine those subjective portions (of which I think examples could be what training every staff member completes, what practices the team employs in considerations for promotions, etc.)… and more comprehensively evaluate those objective portions as well (for example are the Giants just checking a box in their interview of Brian Flores or are they actually giving him a fair shot).

Anti-racist might not be the best term for what I would like to see actively evaluated. Maybe just culture of inclusivity? I think a ranking system might be the end result for the committee (and how they award picks and target organizations to employ additional training), but I think their evaluation processes would be more involved than just simply saying “I like (team) the most”

We've heard scuttlebutt about Admirals. 

Joe Theismann made a remark about Commanders

I think they are messing with us. 

I think they will be called the Redtails in honor of the planes flown by the Tuskegee Airmen and I think that's why they are announcing it during Black History Month.   

It's Military

It's about Bravery

It's Bold

It will TOTALLY make up for no black coaches being hired yet.   All will be forgiven.  

YiZwaWQ9QXBp 

3 hours ago, buddha said:

"anti-racism" is a specific term used to denote the current cultural phenomenon that is making its way quite quickly from the academic world to the corporate world and common culture.  its not enough to be "color blind" and to hire, promote, and treat people the same regardless of their background.  people (and by people we mean only white people) must actively consciously be "anti-racist".  

I know your last line was sarcastic, but a piece of anti-racism does include an understanding that society as we know it was formed on racist principles, meaning that some preconceived notions we just take at face value may be rooted in something less than equal. Not that we are a bunch of racists holding back minorities, but that a lot of our great-great-great-great-great grandfathers sure were racists, and the things they did still have an impact on life today, which does hold back minorities.

That said, I agree (at least based on how I interpret your last line) that pieces of it can go too far. If you examine anything hard enough, you'll find flaws, and that doesn't mean those flaws fit the narrative that your research examines. There are definitely scholars out there who will crucify their own mother (academically) for culturally and societally appropriate things they did 50 years ago - or even do today - that aren't as common anymore. Not even because they are racist/sexist/etc. things, but just because the society changes in time.

Random NFL Comments sure got random in 27 pages.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

On that basis I am an:

Anti-racist.

No let me restate that: I am virulently anti-racist. I've been tossed out of a few relatives homes (verbally, not physically) by retorting to a racist comment with a patented 1984Echoes stream of invective. And I'm not shy about that either. Nor am I kind. If anyone thinks what I state in here is bad... do not meet me in person, with racist comments at the ready.

I will verbally shred the skin off of a racist.

I am not a non-racist or color blind. I'm a raging anti-racist. I didn't realize that was a thing going around because I've defined myself that way for a long time (starting in 1998 when I got tossed out of my Aunt's house (mom's sister) for calling her a _______ _______ ________ _______ __________ _________ _______ _____ when she wouldn't stop using the n-word).

However, I do not fight every battle or look for racism around every corner. With my entire family white trash bigots (they're not white trash... but they are mostly bigots) I let quite a few things go in one ear and out the other. I guess I pick my battles.

But on the basis of awarding draft picks... I don't think "anti racist" is definable. I just wasn't thinking of that in terms of an organization because while I've defined myself as an anti-racist for quite a long time... I don't see how Organizations can be defined that way so it didn't occur to me they were the same thing. I would prefer "minority opportunities". Maybe on an organizational ranking basis, the most diverse or non-discriminatory Orgs by some ranking could get 3rd through 7th round picks. Say the top 6 Orgs...

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We've heard scuttlebutt about Admirals. 

Joe Theismann made a remark about Commanders

I think they are messing with us. 

I think they will be called the Redtails in honor of the planes flown by the Tuskegee Airmen and I think that's why they are announcing it during Black History Month.   

It's Military

It's about Bravery

It's Bold

It will TOTALLY make up for no black coaches being hired yet.   All will be forgiven.  

YiZwaWQ9QXBp 

I still want it to be the groundhogs... why else announce it on an otherwise meaningless Wednesday?

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

what a dumb name.

Dan Snyder: "Okay people... I've got it... I've got the new team name... everyone ready for this?  This is it folks, it's genius: The Washington... wait for it... COMANCHES!"

Staffer 1: "Uh... um... ah, Mr. Snyder... ah, I...I don't think that's a good choice."
Staffer 2: "Yeah... that might be seen as a bit... um... tone deaf."

Snyder: "What?  Why?  I don't get what you mean..."

Staffer 2: "Well, ya know we dropped the old name 'cause Native Americans didn't like it and now you're using a tribe name..."

Snyder: "No, you don't get it... it's named after the helicopter."

Staffer 1: "Okay, but see that was named after the tribe so it's still referencing a Native American tribe right after we sort were using a racial slur and... I just don't kn--"

Snyder: "Oh come one... no one is going to think that!"

Staffer 2: "Eh... I kinda think they will."

Snyder: "Well damn it... that took me three months to come up with and I really like the way it sounds. WASHINGTON COMANCHES!  It's got a good strong sound to it."

Staffer 1: "Yeah, well, I still think it reeeeeally won't work."

Snyder: "Fine screw it... I give up.  What sounds close to that? Washington Commies? No, even I'm not that dumb... um... Fuck it... Washington Commanders.  Good enough.  I'm going to get a drink and going to bed."

• Haha 1