Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

21 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Schwartz was the perfect guy to take over an 0-16 team.   His attitude was what they needed at the time.   But that wears thin somewhat quickly, and it did in Detroit.    I always thought he'd get another chance, but he seems to be on the outs in football.   

I was rooting for Caldwell to do something no other man has done in my lifetime......get a Head Coaching gig after being the Lions Head Coach.   Looks like a no.   So far, 2 coaches hired, both White guys.   The next couple of hires will be interesting.     Something went sideways with Leftwich and Jacksonville.   Wondering if he gets the Saints gig, but he'll be going to a Saints team that has to be gutted.   The Bears hire seems uninspiring.  The Broncos hiring feels like a move to woo Rodgers.   Texas and Jacksonville look like total disasters.   The Saints and Giants look to be in Salary Cap Purgatory.  The Vikings, Raiders and Dolphins look like good gigs.   

Ranking the best to worst coaching situations right now

1. Las Vegas  - Made the playoffs.  Showed some guts making the playoffs after all the issues there.  Good QB already. I think they should keep Bisaccia, but I think they will go with Josh McDaniels

2. Miami - Still not sure about Tua, but the team is on the cusp of the playoffs.  big move here, the wrong coach sends them back to zero.   I think it's going to be Brian Daboll from the Bills

3. Minnesota - They have a solid team.  The QB is middle of the road, but not a disaster.   DeMeco Ryans sounds like th favorite now

4. NY Giants - The salary cap situation is not good but you'll be taking over a team that has had a couple of very bad Head Coaches, so you may not be so bad by comparison,  I think Brian Flores gets the gig

5. New Orleans - Won't be easy picking up the pieces but NOLA needs to start a rebuild now.  I think Leftwich takes the job because he knows what a clusterflub Jacksonville is

6.  Jacksonville - Doug Peterson?  Jim Caldwell?  Vic Fangio?   Who really wants this gig?

7.  Houston - I don't think David Culley got a fair shot.  What did he have to work with?   I think they go rogue and hire someone like Tom Herman or Jason Garrett or some other person nobody is talking about.  Jonathan Gannon has been linked to this.........Dude, stay with the Eagles, other chances will come next year when Arizona, Carolina and Seattle have vacancies.  

What's the criteria for best? 

Most ready to win now. Most deserable. Are you looking at this like a fan or a coach/GM. Cause the Jags job is a heck of a lot more attractive than the vikins. Minnesota is over hte cap and kind of stuck they need to bottom out. jags have the no. 1 overall pick and a top of cap space. Similar concept for Saints and Raiders. 

If you're look at which is most deseriable you list is a bit inverted. Coaches like teams they can mold in thier image right away not someone else's scraps

If Aaron Rodgers leaves the division, Minnesota is as good as anyone to win the division next year. Their window is closing so someone like Jim Caldwell may be a good fit. He's not exactly young so maybe he tries to make something happen with Cousins and then step aside for the rebuilt. Minnesota, with a new GM, could just say screw it and tear it all down this year. 

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

What's the criteria for best? 

Most ready to win now. Most deserable. Are you looking at this like a fan or a coach/GM. Cause the Jags job is a heck of a lot more attractive than the vikins. Minnesota is over hte cap and kind of stuck they need to bottom out. jags have the no. 1 overall pick and a top of cap space. Similar concept for Saints and Raiders. 

If you're look at which is most deseriable you list is a bit inverted. Coaches like teams they can mold in thier image right away not someone else's scraps

The Jags owner is clueless and will find a way to screw up everything that seems good right now.    Do you realize they were one play away from being in the Super Bowl just 4 years ago?    That's what they do there.  

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Jags owner is clueless and will find a way to screw up everything that seems good right now.    Do you realize they were one play away from being in the Super Bowl just 4 years ago?    That's what they do there.  

You mean the Jags owner flush with cash who has a championhsip game under his belt, same as the Vikings or Davis or a lot of other teams you listed? Or cause he mettles cause we all know Ross just sits on the sideliines quietly.

And Wilf has been the bastion of good decisions you know with paying $32 million to settle a racketeering scheme.

So many poeple can't look beyond 18 months its amazing. MCS fell vicitm to it, just like espn constantly does. Lot more to the pie. 

Edited by KL2

23 minutes ago, KL2 said:

You mean the Jags owner flush with cash who has a championhsip game under his belt, same as the Vikings or Davis or a lot of other teams you listed? Or cause he mettles cause we all know Ross just sits on the sideliines quietly.

And Wilf has been the bastion of good decisions you know with paying $32 million to settle a racketeering scheme.

So many poeple can't look beyond 18 months its amazing. MCS fell vicitm to it, just like espn constantly does. Lot more to the pie. 

a championship game under his belt.  lol.  that was the one and only time in ten years his team had a winning record!  the lions have a better record than the jags over that period, the jags just got lucky in one playoff game.  come on.

over the same time period, the vikings have made the playoffs four times, won the division twice, and had three losing seasons, and have dropped below 6 wins only once, the jaguars have finished with less than 6 wins EIGHT TIMES in the last ten years.

khan is supposedly a really nice guy but his team has been horrifically bad over the time of his ownership.

Let's look past the last 18 months. Khan has owned the team the last 10 seasons. In 8 of the past 10 seasons, they have won 5 or fewer games. In the other two, they won 6 and 10 games. For some reason, they had a magical season and somehow, someway made it the AFC Championship. They then promptly fell apart after and are one of the worst teams in the league. This all happened under Kahn. Under Kahn they hired Coughlin and the league had to warn free agents from signing in Jacksonville. This of course congress before hiring Meyer who most people saw as a disaster waiting to happen. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Let's look past the last 18 months. Khan has owned the team the last 10 seasons. In 8 of the past 10 seasons, they have won 5 or fewer games. In the other two, they won 6 and 10 games. For some reason, they had a magical season and somehow, someway made it the AFC Championship. They shai promptly fell apart after and are one of the worst teams in the league. This all happened under Kahn. Under Kahn they hired Coughlin and the league had to warn free agents from signing in Jacksonville. This of course congress before hiring Meyer who most people saw as a disaster waiting to happen. 

Khan is not good.  He’s better than Ross but that’s not saying much. 

Interesting to try to determine the worst owner in the league at the moment.  I think it probably the McNair kid who has essentially let Jesus guide the way for all his decisions including letting a football novice charlatan become his closest advisor.   Snyder, Haslem, Ross, and McCaskey are also in the conversation.  

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Khan is not good.  He’s better than Ross but that’s not saying much. 

Interesting to try to determine the worst owner in the league at the moment.  I think it probably the McNair kid who has essentially let Jesus guide the way for all his decisions including letting a football novice charlatan become his closest advisor.   Snyder, Haslem, Ross, and McCaskey are also in the conversation.  

Snyder is the worst owner.   His team has failed for years.   His stadium is falling apart (raw sewage dumping on fans).  Oh, and he's a pig.  

The Fords may be inept but they seem to be solid citizens.   

I can see the point about Jags ownership and how the franchise has been terrible but I still think that is a desirably location. Perhaps I'm being naive or downplaying the importance of working for good ownership but to me I see the roster and I really don't think it is that bad relatively speaking, plus you have a ton of cap space, the first pick in the draft, play in a division with no real dominant team(I question the Titans staying power without a long term QB) and most importantly appear to have your young long term QB set.  

I would take that over positions that may have had better histories but don't have really any other positives going for them in the near future. 

Khan is an awful owner because he cannot for the life of him figure out how to install consistency in the organization. I think he is clueless when it comes to football (the Fords?) but doesn't have any to assist him in that regard (Chris Spielman?)

In Khan's tenure as owner, the Jags have gone through Mike Mularkey, Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone, Tom Coughlin, and Urban Meyer as Head Coach, and James Harris, Gene Smith, David Caldwell, and Trent Baalke as GM. That's just dreadfully bad. I don't think it's a stretch to say that's 0/9.

That said, if you're the next person he taps to be the HC or GM, I don't think any of that matters to you. Unless you think of yourself as a failure, you think of yourself and your vision for the team as the one who will upend that trend and set the Jags back on track. Whether you're Matt Millen and Marty Mornhinweg or Kevin Colbert and Bill Cowher, if you're hired by an NFL org, you think you know the recipe for success in the NFL.

With the NFL salary cap, you don't have to worry about becoming the Oakland Athletics. If anything, I think being hired by Khan may even be more attractive to some than being hired by someone like Jerry Jones, who you know is going to meddle and interfere and judge every step you make.

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Brady will sit one year and then come back. I really do.  

I actually have that feeling too.  I don't think its necessary some grand scheme he is orchestrating but he just strikes me as somebody that will get that competitive itch again after sitting out a year and want to come back and of course some team(s) will gladly pay him handsomely to do so. 

Wow,  Tampa Bay's Odds for the 2023 Super Bowl probably just went from something like 8-1 to 50-1. 

Hey Buccaneers.  You have a lot of good players at the end of their prime years.........not ready to cash it in just yet and you're not really in a position to rebuild just yet.   Kyle Trask?   Blane Gabbert?  Hmmmm.   You need a veteran QB.   Well, we have a veteran QB who got to the Super Bowl 3 years ago.............that #27 draft pick and a #2 in 2023 next year sure would look good in Honolulu Blue.  

Scenario  

Lions finish 7-10 in 2022.    8th pick in the 2023 draft. 

Jared Goff is bought out.  

Lions trade the #8 pick and the #20 pick (Rams) and their 2nd round picks in 2024 and 2025 to the Jaguars for their #2 pick.   

After the Texans take Bryce Young at #1  the Lions take C.J. Stroud at #2

But C.J. might not be ready from the jump

Wonder if there is a veteran QB itching to play again that might have Michigan ties and might want to pull the ultimate trick in NFL history - getting the Lions to a Super Bowl............