Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

i get tired of the line from LA people that "there's so much to do" so they dont root for their sports teams.  there's plenty to do in chicago.  plenty to do in nyc.  yet those places have rabid sports fan bases and people somehow find the time to watch the bears for 3 hours on a sunday and sell out stadiums every year.

there are a lot of transplants there and a lot of folks interested in other things (like the entertainment industry) than sports.  but the fact that they havent shown up for the rams, chargers, trojan$, or ucla football isnt because they have more things to do, its because they dont care enough to sit in traffic for 4 hours to do it.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i get tired of the line from LA people that "there's so much to do" so they dont root for their sports teams.  there's plenty to do in chicago.  plenty to do in nyc.  yet those places have rabid sports fan bases and people somehow find the time to watch the bears for 3 hours on a sunday and sell out stadiums every year.

there are a lot of transplants there and a lot of folks interested in other things (like the entertainment industry) than sports.  but the fact that they havent shown up for the rams, chargers, trojan$, or ucla football isnt because they have more things to do, its because they dont care enough to sit in traffic for 4 hours to do it.

Cold weather and not great beaches.

It's as simple as that.

Half of California and half of Florida is into beaches and water sports.

And that's aside from lots of other things to do (both have Disneys, Universal, multiple other attractions... and we haven't even gotten to cultural stuff...).

Great that NYC and Chicago have lots & lots of stuff to do...

Still can't compare to Southern Cali or South Florida. And we're mostly talking about the beaches. And Disney. And other stuff...

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Cold weather and not great beaches.

It's as simple as that.

Half of California and half of Florida is into beaches and water sports.

And that's aside from lots of other things to do (both have Disneys, Universal, multiple other attractions... and we haven't even gotten to cultural stuff...).

Great that NYC and Chicago have lots & lots of stuff to do...

Still can't compare to Southern Cali or South Florida. And we're mostly talking about the beaches. And Disney. And other stuff...

cubs play in the summer and sell out every game.  

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Christ, how many people are on the beach? The Los Angeles metro area has over 18 million people. That is larger than 45 states. They can't scrape together 70,000 Rams fans? If there is so much more to do in Los Angeles, why force two teams on the city?

LA, atlanta, miami, are cities of transplants and immigrants.  they're not american sports towns.  its not a matter of things to do.  As if every angelino spends every weekend at the beach or disney.

and LA comes out for the dodgers (the first team to move there and long history of success) and the lakers (most successful nba franchise) cause they win.

if the rams or chargers start winning multiple super bowls those fans will come too.  

7 hours ago, buddha said:

its because they dont care enough to sit in traffic for 4 hours to do it.

yeah - that's a good point also. But be that as it may, it has to be demoralizing when you can't get even 2 out out of each 1000 people in the area to show up. But it is also cultural. I would guess a lot of Angelinos feel they have 'moved on' from football  as being a lagging cultural institution. 🙄 

Maybe enough winning could bring them back - who knows?

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

My confidence level of the Cardinals winning is high but something tells me Stafford will win tonight and make me look foolish. I hope we maximize our draft position tonight though with a Rams loss.

wrong again tater.  lol.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Let them. They didn't go 0-16, they don't have playoff win droughts that go back to 1990, they've made Super Bowl appearances and the Fords never have.

but not about this, you're right about the fords.

the mccaskeys have won a super bowl and been to a second.  the fords have never sniffed a super bowl.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, buddha said:

LA, atlanta, miami, are cities of transplants and immigrants.  they're not american sports towns.  its not a matter of things to do.  As if every angelino spends every weekend at the beach or disney.

and LA comes out for the dodgers (the first team to move there and long history of success) and the lakers (most successful nba franchise) cause they win.

if the rams or chargers start winning multiple super bowls those fans will come too.  

You expect me to believe that a city built around the entertainment industry would have a lot of front runners?  Yep..that seems plausible

I'm not saying that the Ford's aren't the worst but I think it's pretty lazy to just pin who's a good and bad owner based off team success. If the Lions win in Washington in 91 and make the Super Bowl and Calvin and Stafford carry us to one in 11 or 14 does that suddenly make them any better of owners cause the players stepped up in the playoffs? 

Edited by RandyMarsh

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm not saying that the Ford's aren't the worst but I think it's pretty lazy to just pin who's a good and bad owner based off team success. If the Lions win in Washington in 91 and make the Super Bowl and Calvin and Stafford carry us to one in 11 or 14 does that suddenly make them any better of owners cause the players stepped up in the playoffs? 

the fords bought the lions in 1963.  up until then, the lions had been the second best team of the 1950s and had finished second to the packers/lombardi machine in green bay for multiple seasons and in 1962 had given the pack a real run for their money.

since then they've won one playoff game in 60 years.

what is the argument that anyone else is worse in putting a winning product on the field?  as for snyder, since he has owned the team, the artists formerly known as redskins have lost 5 playoff games but won the division twice.  the lions have lost 4 playoff games and - as we all know - have NEVER won the nfc north.

futility edge to the fords.