POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

Now wait a minute ... how is lifting border controls even possible? I was told we already had completely open borders to the south of us ...

The 'return to Mexico' policy was the one that the Dems labeled as a horribly mean policy by Trump and that was stopped.  The overflow of illegals forced them to try and deal with the fallout of stopping it, so they began using Title 42 more and restricting altogether based on if the countries had high rates of Covid.   Biden quietly reinstituted the 'return to Mexico' policy though.  

So short answer, the GOP is wrong to say we're doing nothing and the Dems learned that just criticizing a policy and removing it without any plan was wrong as well.  

On 3/31/2022 at 7:18 AM, ewsieg said:

The 'return to Mexico' policy was the one that the Dems labeled as a horribly mean policy by Trump and that was stopped.  The overflow of illegals forced them to try and deal with the fallout of stopping it, so they began using Title 42 more and restricting altogether based on if the countries had high rates of Covid.   Biden quietly reinstituted the 'return to Mexico' policy though.  

So short answer, the GOP is wrong to say we're doing nothing and the Dems learned that just criticizing a policy and removing it without any plan was wrong as well.  

oh come on now, the border crisis went away when trump was defeated.

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

That's tracking immigration, which honestly we should be working to reverse this trend.

Folks that are upset about the border, are upset about migration.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/11/09/whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-in-7-charts/

A line graph showing that migrant encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border reached their highest level on record in 2021

these are kind limited however without a breakdown of what percentage are the Mexican undocumented who have been in the country before.

19 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

That's tracking immigration, which honestly we should be working to reverse this trend.

Folks that are upset about the border, are upset about migration.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/11/09/whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-in-7-charts/

A line graph showing that migrant encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border reached their highest level on record in 2021

Right from the article:

"Migrant encounters refer to two distinct kinds of events: expulsions, in which migrants are immediately expelled to their home country or last country of transit, and apprehensions, in which migrants are detained in the United States, at least temporarily."

That means the borders are in fact not open. 

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

these are kind limited however without a breakdown of what percentage are the Mexican undocumented who have been in the country before.

Not sure I'm completely following you.  These numbers, without any breakdown at all, speaks to the overall volume at the border and the stress it puts on the system and communities near it.  

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Right from the article:

"Migrant encounters refer to two distinct kinds of events: expulsions, in which migrants are immediately expelled to their home country or last country of transit, and apprehensions, in which migrants are detained in the United States, at least temporarily."

That means the borders are in fact not open. 

I've never argued that the southern border was wide open and free to pass through.  I've only asserted that there are major challenges arising from it.   Additionally the definition of 'open' can vary based on what part you're viewing.

Title 42 is about to stop, so going forward, you'll have just apprehensions.  For the apprehensions, it's basically catch and release.  They give them a court date and let them go.  From there, it's again all about how you choose to look at the statistics.  Groups that want to see only legal migration will give numbers saying only 10-15% show up for their court cases based on how the court counts absentia.  Pro any-type migration will give 98-99%, often focusing on the legal immigrate numbers.  Based on what i've read, i'm comfortable that a majority do go to their court cases, roughly 60% of so.

But last year, the border was so overwhelmed they started something new, they didn't even both to give a court case.  They simply provided each with contact information and asked them to reach out to ICE when they settled.  No ability to even follow up.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/politics/dhs-migrants-paperwork-ice-notice-to-appear/index.html

That has since stopped, but also look at when it was stopped.  My gut says as we headed into the off months for migration, the border patrol was able to catch up and continue the normal process.  

We have a guy on the Terrorist watch list that crossed the southern border, the FBI notified ICE of this, and he was still released because he was overweight and thus had an increased risk for Covid.  As far as I know, he's still living his best life in Dearborn.  To me, I think you can look at that and even if you don't want to say it's open, you have to admit it's fairly porous.  

“We have open borders and the Democrats must be stopped!”

”Here’s clear evidence that the borders are in fact not open.”

”Well, I never said the southern border was wide open …”

😉

Edited by chasfh

the democrats' are now in charge and have to deal with the influx of immigrants on the southern border.  it apears they are attempting to do so in a manner quite similar to their republican counterparts, with the notable exception of not crying about a useless and expensive wall.  that is an important distinction, but it doesnt stop the overall issue of what you do with all the people at the border and our need for more resources to deal with it.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

“We have open borders and the Democrats must be stopped!”

”Here’s clear evidence that the borders are in fact not open.”

”Well, I never said the southern border was wide open …”

😉

Conversely

"The policies of the GOP with the border is racist and inhumane, it must be stopped!"

"Here's clear evidence that the democrats are deploying the exact same tactics"

"Well, so you're admitting the democrats are strong on the border?  Hah, I owned you!"

😉

• Like 1