POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he is necssarily letting him off the hook.  He and others still should be prosecuted regardless of his motivation. 

He did not say Trump should be prosecuted for anything. 
Evidentally, because he didn’t March with them (you know, the aforementioned “perpetrators”) and personally assault the WH police that day, he’s in no way liable for anything that happened that day.  
He is just a little spoiled brat. And what…. No responsibility.

I disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he had lost in 2016, I am pretty sure he would have claimed that the election was stolen then too.  He wouldn't have had any power to do anything about it, but he would have talked about it for four years.   

That was, in fact, his intent: lose the election so he could start a media empire rooted in the grievance of having an election “stolen”. Then the dog caught the car and wasn’t sure what to do with it. Well he sure figured it out in a hurry. 

11 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

He did not say Trump should be prosecuted for anything. 
Evidentally, because he didn’t March with them (you know, the aforementioned “perpetrators”) and personally assault the WH police that day, he’s in no way liable for anything that happened that day.  
He is just a little spoiled brat. And what…. No responsibility.

I disagree.

i said the perpetrators should be prosecuted.  if he was actively involved in the perpetration then he should be prosecuted.

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

how?  i said the perpetrators should be prosecuted.

tater talks about trump like he's mussolini.  he's not.  he's just a whiny bitch.

that doesnt mean he isnt dangerous and bad for the country, but he's not dr. evil.

In modern parlance a socieopathy is about as close to 'evil' as the therapeutic  society admits to, and Trump is without doubt sociopathic, so I guess on purely definitional grounds - yeah, he is evil by any other name. All devils don't wear horns and tails. 

Granted though - he's probably never studied anything with enough discipline to earn the title "DR" Evil.

🙄

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

how?  i said the perpetrators should be prosecuted.

tater talks about trump like he's mussolini.  he's not.  he's just a whiny bitch.

that doesnt mean he isnt dangerous and bad for the country, but he's not dr. evil.

Do you think that Viktor Orban in Hungary (who Trump endorsed) and Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus (who Trump only haphazardly sanctioned and was hardly critical of) are dictators in their respective countries? If so, how is Trump different than Orban or Lukashenko? He wants state controlled media as they have and lashes out about jailing journalists, doing physical harm to them, and changing libel laws so he can sue them. He has tried to manipulate the results of elections by openly calling for votes to be changed/doctored and working with his advisors like Donald Trump Jr. to have voting machines seized. As well, he has tried to stop the legal counting of votes in certain battleground states and tried to stop the counting of electoral votes at the federal level. Trump also openly talked about suspending the 2020 elections. Those seem like autocratic acts to me.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

i said the perpetrators should be prosecuted.  if he was actively involved in the perpetration then he should be prosecuted.

How far up the line do the perpetrators go. See Mark Meadows and Trumplican Texts and emails. They are just as guilty IMO, as the folks who stormed the capitol. 

Do you include Rudy's press conferences? ETC. Especially after every court challenge failed miserably.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

How far up the line do the perpetrators go. See Mark Meadows and Trumplican Texts and emails. They are just as guilty IMO, as the folks who stormed the capitol. 

Do you include Rudy's press conferences? ETC. Especially after every court challenge failed miserably.

i dont know enough about it to know how far up it goes.  i havent really been following it.

I think it's pretty obvious that Trump knew what was going to happen on January 6 and that he encouraged it.  I don't know if that's enough legally or whether they can sufficiently prove it, but it's enough for me.  It's even more obvious that he tried to overturn the election.  He said he was going to do it and he broadcasted it as he did it.  He is 100% guilty.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you think that Viktor Orban in Hungary (who Trump endorsed) and Alexander Lukashenko in Belarus (who Trump only haphazardly sanctioned and was hardly critical of) are dictators in their respective countries? If so, how is Trump different than Orban or Lukashenko? He wants state controlled media as they have and lashes out about jailing journalists, doing physical harm to them, and changing libel laws so he can sue them. He has tried to manipulate the results of elections by openly calling for votes to be changed/doctored and working with his advisors like Donald Trump Jr. to have voting machines seized. As well, he has tried to stop the legal counting of votes in certain battleground states and tried to stop the counting of electoral votes at the federal level. Trump also openly talked about suspending the 2020 elections. Those seem like autocratic acts to me.

what is happening in hungary and belarus has no bearing on what is happening in the united states.

trump says a lot of things.  last time i checked, cnn was still on the air.  "journalists" in the united states are all just fine, from the whiny liberals to the whiny conservatives, they all continue to have a voice with limited to no interference from the government.  but their victimhood act sure does serve to get them attention, tucker to andy ngo to taylor lorenz.

trump's actions did little to change the government.  he accomplished almost nothing other than giving everyone (especially himself) a big tax break.  the bigger issue is congress' unwillingness to act on big issues that ends up leaving those decisions into the hands of the president, the administrative bureaucracy, and the courts.  that's not a problem created by trump, its a problem with congress that is exacerbated by having a feeble minded president who doesnt respect the process in office.

his lack of respect for institutions doesnt make him a dictator.  there are loopholes in the electoral system that are seemingly being closed now.  we'll see if they get it done before 2024.  there seems to be bipartisan support for it.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Trump knew what was going to happen on January 6 and that he encouraged it.  I don't know if that's enough legally or whether they can sufficiently prove it, but it's enough for me.  It's even more obvious that he tried to overturn the election.  He said he was going to do it and he broadcasted it as he did it.  He is 100% guilty.   

inciting a riot is really difficult to prove.  treason is even harder and i think he's clearly not guilty of that under the legal definition.

as to attempting to "overturn" the election, i agree with you that he wanted to do it and tried to do it.  the question will be where the line is drawn on legitimate challenges to results (which all participants are entitled to) and attempts to manipulate and throw out good results (which i think - like you - that he or some of his supporters tried to do).

and for all the handwringing about herr fuhrer trump, none of his efforts succeeded because the system worked.  from all the trump appointed supreme court judges on down, he lost at every level.

now they need to fix the holes in the system to make sure it doesnt happen again.

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If you look at 1/6 compared to Watergate. The break-in was a two bit burglary. The coverup and all the scandals surrounding the election was small potatoes compared to what happened with the Trump White House...

4 hours ago, buddha said:

trump's hap hazard way to complain about election results is not a coup.  he doesnt want to be a dictator out to keep himself in power and change the state to suit his vision for the country, he just likes attention.

he's a little narcissistic brat with no real plans to capture the state, he just stomps his feet and cries when he loses.

this is not to say that jan 6 wasnt a bad, horrible thing, it was.  and its perpetrators should be prosecuted and the electoral act should be straightened out to prevent the possibility of future shenanigans, but trump doesnt have grand plans for autocracy, he's just a little bitch who cant accept losing.

lil while later....

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont know enough about it to know how far up it goes.  i havent really been following it.

47 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

If you look at 1/6 compared to Watergate. The break-in was a two bit burglary. The coverup and all the scandals surrounding the election was small potatoes compared to what happened with the Trump White House...

yeah - Nixon's attempts to manipulate the FBI and the IRS and of course his likely interference with Johnson's VN negotiations were all far worse institutional crimes that had nothing directly to do with Watergate.

But Nixon was paranoid and competent, so probably in that sense more of a potential danger than Trump. The difference is that Nixon did believe in US institutions in so many ways that Trump doesn't. That said, institutions/public were still so much stronger then, the clear evidence being that Nixon resigned without a fight because the rest of the government was going to reject him. Trump is a danger even without the competence because the rest of government/public is now so craven it isn't capable of rejecting him.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - Nixon's attempts to manipulate the FBI and the IRS and of course his likely interference with Johnson's VN negotiations were all far worse institutional crimes that had nothing directly to do with Watergate.

But Nixon was paranoid and competent, so probably in that sense more of a potential danger than Trump. The difference is that Nixon did believe in US institutions in so many ways that Trump doesn't. That said, institutions/public were still so much stronger then, the clear evidence being that Nixon resigned without a fight because the rest of the government was going to reject him. Trump is a danger even without the competence because the rest of government/public is now so craven it isn't capable of rejecting him.

nixon was a helluva lot smarter than trump.  but both had that insecurity that can turn out to be very dangerous in powerful people.

6 hours ago, pfife said:

lol....  says the dude who literally chooses to come here and defend Trump.  In fact, you've defended 1/6 before.

I come here correct the falsehoods and flat out lies like how many people died that day.  The left is making a lot more out what happened than it really is.  Its great political theater for the dems and anti Trump people.  Once again the people on this site can't get past their obsession with Donald Trump.  I moved on over a year ago you guys should try it and concentrate on modern day issues.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Archie said:

I come here correct the falsehoods and flat out lies like how many people died that day.  The left is making a lot more out what happened than it really is.  Its great political theater for the dems and anti Trump people.  Once again the people on this site can't get past their obsession with Donald Trump.  I moved on over a year ago you guys should try it and concentrate on modern day issues.  

Threatening to overturn the foundation of our Democracy is no big deal.  OK.  

58 minutes ago, Archie said:

you come here and defend trump.   and now you're defending 1/6 yet again just like I said