POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:59 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

281565584_10159925170581221_4527542298115562542_n.jpg

Anyone on this board actually listen to Tucker?  I have some seen clips which look horrible for him, but I used to watch O'Reilly and I was used to watching Twitter or this board explode over stuff that was taken wildly out of context.   With the GOP as it is today, I guess I lean towards the fact there is some truth to this, but IDK.  That said i'm not going to watch that show to find out.

14 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Anyone on this board actually listen to Tucker?  I have some seen clips which look horrible for him, but I used to watch O'Reilly and I was used to watching Twitter or this board explode over stuff that was taken wildly out of context.   With the GOP as it is today, I guess I lean towards the fact there is some truth to this, but IDK.  That said i'm not going to watch that show to find out.

My special needs son is obsessed with Fox News. He always has it on. At 8 pm is when he goes into his room for th night and he has Tucker on.  It’s ridiculous.  Every cliche. It’s as bad as you think. Constant stream of hate and victimization.  

21 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I see Tucker on occasion. My dad has him on anytime I go over to eat dinner with him. I also tune in from time to time to catch what the MAGA crowd is going to be screaming about this month. I think he definitely is an ethnonationalist and borders on white supremacy. Sure, he has black and African American conservative guests and contributors on, but I sense that is largely tokenism. The non-white guests he does put on are likely there to make him seem not racist, as if the MAGA movement really cares about equity. He likely has little investment in seeing true racial, ethnic, or gender equality or equity. 

10 hours ago, pfife said:

He used to be a conservative I liked.   He famously is a deadhead or at least was.  He veered rightward sharply in recent years.  

He was on Crossfire, he replaced Buchanan I believe.  There was a video I saw, not sure if here or on the twitter, from 2003 where he was blasting O'Reilly for selling out and going into a character.  Seriously.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:28 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I see Tucker on occasion. My dad has him on anytime I go over to eat dinner with him. I also tune in from time to time to catch what the MAGA crowd is going to be screaming about this month. I think he definitely is an ethnonationalist and borders on white supremacy. Sure, he has black and African American conservative guests and contributors on, but I sense that is largely tokenism. The non-white guests he does put on are likely there to make him seem not racist, as if the MAGA movement really cares about equity. He likely has little investment in seeing true racial, ethnic, or gender equality or equity. 

I can’t watch Fox News for more than a couple of minutes without my stomach tying up into knots. I get physically queasy.

The main point of the black guests is to let white viewers know that black people are redeemable if only they assimilate traditional American ideals—IOW, there can be good ones.

Edited by chasfh

On 5/23/2022 at 8:30 AM, oblong said:

He was on Crossfire, he replaced Buchanan I believe.  There was a video I saw, not sure if here or on the twitter, from 2003 where he was blasting O'Reilly for selling out and going into a character.  Seriously.

That's the thing, when you go back and watch CNN Crossfire clips and clips of his old MSNBC show, he was not nationalistic like this. The current iteration of Tucker Carlson may well be a gimmick the same as Stone Cold Steve Austin, Ric Flair, and The Undertaker, but gimmick or not, it is a very damaging gimmick if it is.

One of the things I wonder is what happens if, god willing, we pass through this current situation as though it is a phase and we come out socially stronger on the other side in, I don’t know, let’s say ten or fifteen years. What happens to people like Tucker Carlson and Elise Stefanik and J.D. Vance, people who seemed to operate within an acceptable range of the political spectrum but then dumpster-dove into the dark side for the money and the power? Do they somehow get repatriated into polite society, or are they spun off into permanent social exile for make the choice they did?

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Warning: This contains really nasty language.  He uses the N word multiple times.  It's basically the same message we are hearing from much of the GOP today though.    

I bet he would get more than 40,000 votes today.