POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

I was also informed that Canadians come over to the US for health care in droves. Canada is such a wonderful place that everyone can afford to pay 100% out of pocket the cost of US healthcare. They even have clinics right on the border for Canadians. Last time I was near the border, it was nothing but vacant buildings and Mexicans. Guess we do have an open border. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I hate to say it, but goddammit, they’re right on this one.

If it encourages people to drive more it will just add support to refinery margins. Buying everyone one free night of Netflix might do more to cut demand...

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it encourages people to drive more it will just add support to refinery margins. Buying everyone one free night of Netflix might do more to cut demand...

I feel like there is a pitchbot article coming up along the lines of, to reduce gas price and save his presidency, Joe Biden needs another pandemic. 

• Like 1

Not holding my breath but this might be a good thing it any of the three go through..

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/27/congress-bipartisan-left-right-issues?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiossneakpeek&stream=top

1. Foreign influence: A disparate group of House members from the Trump-loving Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) to the liberal consumer protection attorney Rep. Katie Porter (D-Calif.) has introduced a bill to curb foreign influence in U.S. democracy. 

• It would impose a lifetime ban on members of Congress, senior military leaders and senior executive branch officials from lobbying for a foreign government or political party. 

2. Stock trading: Earlier this year, the effort to ban members of Congress from trading stock gained serious momentum when both MAGA Republicans and progressives embraced the long-sought-after measure. 

3. Big Tech: The left and the right agree on the need for greater regulatory control and want to hold social media companies more accountable for how they police content — though for different reasons. 

• Sens. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) want to get their bill, the American Innovation and Choice Online Act, on the Senate floor this summer before time and momentum run out.

Dogs lying with cats ....

the legal soap opera around the Flint water disaster takes another turn. SCOTSOM rules that a judge acting as a one-man grand jury may not issue criminal charges, judges have no power to prosecute. So the charges against Syder and others who were recharged by Judge Newblatt as Grand Jurist,  after Nessel tossed out the previous charge filed under Schuette, have now also been tossed.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2022/06/judge-had-no-power-to-indict-in-flint-water-crisis-cases-michigan-supreme-court-rules.html

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’d love to hear it. It’s not packaged as a podcast, is it?

They have all of the segments from the show on the cspan website, the show is Washington journal.  I believe you have to log in through cable or satellite provider to reach the content.

I've long wished they'd podcast that show but no luck so far

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the legal soap opera around the Flint water disaster takes another turn. SCOTSOM rules that a judge acting as a one-man grand jury may not issue criminal charges, judges have no power to prosecute. So the charges against Syder and others who were recharged by Judge Newblatt as Grand Jurist,  after Nessel tossed out the previous charge filed under Schuette, have now also been tossed.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2022/06/judge-had-no-power-to-indict-in-flint-water-crisis-cases-michigan-supreme-court-rules.html

Oops...

Someone screwed up.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Nope.  The system worked just like it's designed............Rich people can not be charged with anything.    

I guess it was just something that happened.  Nobody's to blame.   Oh wait, some mid-level Yes people take the blame on it.   

Just like with Chris Christie shutting down that bridge.  It was some mid-level manager's fault, right?    Because we all know mid-level managers have enough juice to make a call like that.   Sure they do.    Carry on.  Nothing to see here.