POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he dropped the N word, he'd probably win.  

Whenever some right winger does get caught on audio dropping an N bomb, I’ll lay 10:1 that Fox will invoke the First Amendment while defending them from the woke mob.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Whenever some right winger does get caught on audio dropping an N bomb, I’ll lay 10:1 that Fox will invoke the First Amendment while defending them from the woke mob.

They will bring up that Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman said it in 1949 and the Chryon will say "DEM HYPOCRISY ON N WORD"

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Georgia is different than it was in 1972. Alabama on the other hand...

His message would get significant support nationally in te red states.  He'd need to learn to send a double message like Trump - one for his openly racist base and one for his religious base that doesn't like being viewed as racist.   

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, oblong said:

They will bring up that Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman said it in 1949 and the Chryon will say "DEM HYPOCRISY ON N WORD"

Yes, Lyndon Johnson's use of the n-word is and was abhorrent and unacceptable. Yes, Johnson deserves scorn and criticism for his use of the n-word. But Johnson did pass major civil rights and voting rights legislation. The southern Dixiecrats who opposed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act would today be MAGA Republicans and voting for the like of Trump, DeSantis, MTG, Bobert, Gohmert, DePerno, etc. The same type of legislation that all these Republican hypocrites have spent decades trying to roll back by the way.

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, Lyndon Johnson's use of the n-word is and was abhorrent and unacceptable. Yes, Johnson deserves scorn and criticism for his use of the n-word. But Johnson did pass major civil rights and voting rights legislation. The southern Dixiecrats who opposed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Act would today be MAGA Republicans and voting for the like of Trump, DeSantis, MTG, Bobert, Gohmert, DePerno, etc. The same type of legislation that all these Republican hypocrites have spent decades trying to roll back by the way.

Not to lean on the whole "it was a different time" thing, but he was a politician in Texas in the 1940s, so it was rather expected to a certain degree.

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not to lean on the whole "it was a different time" thing, but he was a politician in Texas in the 1940s, so it was rather expected to a certain degree.

This. Lyndon would have been in tune with times if he had lived in ours. But it's an interesting example of it being more important to pay attention to what people do more than what they say or how they say it. Lyndon's language may have been bad, but his sense of racial injustice in the US real and he did something about when he had the opportunity.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 5:53 PM, oblong said:

For sure. I was making of what Fox News would try to do.  I would wager that 80% of white people at that time used the N word. 

I could see Fox ... ahem ... whitewashing that fact by claiming the people back then didn't use the word with hate. It was a just another word, like "chair" or "tree" or "rope".

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:56 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

LBJ also did it knowing what the downside risk was politically.... he famously quipped to Hubert Humphrey after signing the CRA that they had signed away the South for a generation. It has taken longer than he expected, but outside of Georgia and (maybe) North Carolina and Texas, that's basically accurate.

He was a man of his time, he did have friction with Civil Rights figures of the time, but on the whole he has to be admired for using his political skill to get that through. It tells me a lot about him deep down, as rough a figure as he is

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'll just put this here. Hinkley has been during some touring lately as a singer songwriter.

He also wounded three people. James Brady, a secret service agent and a police officer....

I believe once Brady died that it became some form of murder or manslaughter officially.