POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

Trump derangement syndrome is Republican Party syndrome.  Yes the D’s have issues too but it’s such small potatoes to the dangers of the Republican Party.  If they win congress and the White House it’s not hyperbole to assume our experiment is over.  We will evolve into an authoritarian system of government and will be a generation away from political opponents and members of the media turning up dead. Elections will be rendered meaningless.  

You guys tear me up sometimes with your comments.  TDS is what many here are infected with.  You guys will let Trump live forever in your heads.  It's really funny how important Donald Trump is to some of you.

You guys are throwing stones in glass houses too.  Don't forget the pride and joy of the democrats and this isn't small potatoes...AOC, Ilhan Omar, Maxine Waters, Ayana Pressley, Rashida Talib, Fredrica Wilson, John Kerry, Keith Ellison, Nancy Pelosi, Steney Hoyer, cryin Chuck Shumer and many more.  They're all either anti-America, anti semitic, deranged, bat shit crazy, clueless to the needs of this country or most likely all of the above.  Better yet, they're being led by a senile old man that's just as clueless and crazy.

Edited by Archie

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

You guys tear me up sometimes with your comments.  TDS is what many here are infected with.  You guys will let Trump live forever in your heads.  It's really funny how important Donald Trump is to some of you.

It's just the opposite.  It's you guys that have Trump Derangement Syndrome for worshipping him unconditionally even though he  has disgraced himself over and over.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Trump derangement syndrome is Republican Party syndrome.  Yes the D’s have issues too but it’s such small potatoes to the dangers of the Republican Party.  If they win congress and the White House it’s not hyperbole to assume our experiment is over.  We will evolve into an authoritarian system of government and will be a generation away from political opponents and members of the media turning up dead. Elections will be rendered meaningless.  

trump derangement syndrome has caused some dems to go off the deep end, but even moreso, its caused republicans to go far to the right.

when we look back on this moment many years from now, trump may be seen as one of the most consequential politicians in recent memory.  or maybe not, we'll see.  but he has hastened a restructuring in american politics that had been coming for a while: the move of the republican party to capturing the working class vote, and the movement of the democratic party to becoming the party of the educated elite.

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

How exactly do YOU define Trump Derangement Syndrome?  

on the left: the idea that trump is uniquely evil and racist and will end the american republic.

on the right: that trump is a genius and has a unique ability to tell the truth and eliminate the "swamp" of elite government.

its fascinating to think about - even if it is not fascinating to live through.  trump has changed politics, through the use of social media to go directly to the voters and neuter the party system and his ability to bring in working class voters of all stripes (but especially white men) to the republican party.

if we werent living through it, it would be a very interesting study!

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

on the left: the idea that trump is uniquely evil and racist and will end the american republic.

on the right: that trump is a genius and has a unique ability to tell the truth and eliminate the "swamp" of elite government.

Are you suggesting these two belief systems are equally true?

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's just the opposite.  It's you guys that have Trump Derangement Syndrome for worshipping him unconditionally even though he  has disgraced himself over and over.  

Why do you think anyone that's not a democrat is a Trump supporter?  I never liked Donald Trump or though he was a decent person.  Yes, he did some good things while in office and up to this point in Biden's term, Trump had done more good for the US than Biden has but that's not hard to do.  Maybe that is what irks dems so much???

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

Why do you think anyone that's not a democrat is a Trump supporter?  I never liked Donald Trump or though he was a decent person.  Yes, he did some good things while in office and up to this point in Biden's term, Trump had done more good for the US than Biden has but that's not hard to do.  Maybe that is what irks dems so much???

Trump didn't do anything good and even if you think he did, it all gets cancelled out by the unforgivable stuff he did at the end.  There is no way you can just overlook what he did at the end and pretend that he was a good president.  You just can't.  And even if you hate liberals so much that you are OK with him trying to overturn an election, how can you possibly defend his throwing his way too loyal Vice President under the bus at the end?  He's just an utter disgrace and deserves every bit of vitriol coming his way.  

And I do consider you a Trump supporter because you keep defending him over and olver.  

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

its fascinating to think about - even if it is not fascinating to live through.  trump has changed politics, through the use of social media to go directly to the voters and neuter the party system and his ability to bring in working class voters of all stripes (but especially white men) to the republican party.

if we werent living through it, it would be a very interesting study!

I actually don't think he is uniquely evil.  He is uniquely uniquely crazy and narcissistic and amazingly ignorant about policy issues.  I don't however believe he has ambitions to end the American Republican.  Every bad thing he says or does is about him.  More disturbing than Trump is the hold he has on his followers. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I actually don't think he is uniquely evil.  He is uniquely uniquely crazy and narcissistic and amazingly ignorant about policy issues.  I don't however believe he has ambitions to end the American Republican.  Every bad thing he says or does is about him.  More disturbing than Trump is the hold he has on his followers. 

correct. He is dangerous because he doesn't care about institutions or their defense and is perfectly happy when any of them are compromised if it benefits him personally. He has zero real sense of his own impact beyond that he wants to be famous and a star in his own universe. And that profile attracts others who do have more malevolent agendas into his orbit who know that with Trump they can often get what they want by simply flattering him into supporting their ideas.

22 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

i agree with you.

but i'm not surprised by the hold he has on his followers and supporters and in  today's polarized world it doesnt surprise me at all he gets votes.  there are a lot of people out there thst hate "the establishment" and he has fashioned himself as being on their side.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct. He is dangerous because he doesn't care about institutions or their defense and is perfectly happy when any of them are compromised if it benefits him personally. He has zero real sense of his own impact beyond that he wants to be famous and a star in his own universe. And that profile attracts others who do have more malevolent agendas into his orbit who know that with Trump they can often get what they want by simply flattering him into supporting their ideas.

i dont think he understands or cares about institutions and their place in society.  as you say, he's narcissistic and stupid, but charasmatic enough to appeal to certain people.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i agree with you.

but i'm not surprised by the hold he has on his followers and supporters and in  today's polarized world it doesnt surprise me at all he gets votes.  there are a lot of people out there thst hate "the establishment" and he has fashioned himself as being on their side.

I get that people hate the establishment.  I don't really like it either.  So, I understand the anti-establishment vote.  It is just amazing to me that so many think he is on their side and believe everything stupid self centered thing he tells them.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I get that people hate the establishment.  I don't really like it either.  So, I understand the anti-establishment vote.  It is just amazing to me that so many think he is on their side and believe everything stupid self centered thing he tells them.  

i agree with you.

i would also say that i feel that way about every politician, but trump especially.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i agree with you.

i would also say that i feel that way about every politician, but trump especially.

Most politicians in both parties are dishonest and self serving and I don't like them.  I think that a lot of them do have a genuine interest in law and policy, so you kind of block out the noise and listen to their views even though they are not sincere in their intentions.  Trump doesn't even have that going for him.  

Edited by Tiger337

I disagree with the argument that Trump doesn't want to end the American Republican. Trump literally wanted to install himself as a autocratic dictator and that's what January 6th was all about. At best he wants rigged, unfair elections like his boy Viktor Orban has in Hungary with a state-controlled media apparatus backing him up. At worst he wants what Putin has in Russia and Alexander Lukashenko has in Belearus. January 6th was an orchestrated attacked on the rule of law, democratic institutions, and free, fair elections. Trump wanted the legal counting of electoral votes stopped. He wanted his people to seize voting machines. He wanted a Secretary of State in Georgia to change over 11,000 votes to declare him the winner of a state he lost. He wanted votes overturned in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin as well.

That is autocratic by its very nature and spits in the face of democracy and our American Republic. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

trump's hap hazard way to complain about election results is not a coup.  he doesnt want to be a dictator out to keep himself in power and change the state to suit his vision for the country, he just likes attention.

he's a little narcissistic brat with no real plans to capture the state, he just stomps his feet and cries when he loses.

this is not to say that jan 6 wasnt a bad, horrible thing, it was.  and its perpetrators should be prosecuted and the electoral act should be straightened out to prevent the possibility of future shenanigans, but trump doesnt have grand plans for autocracy, he's just a little bitch who cant accept losing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

trump's hap hazard way to complain about election results is not a coup.  he doesnt want to be a dictator out to keep himself in power and change the state to suit his vision for the country, he just likes attention.

he's a little narcissistic brat with no real plans to capture the state, he just stomps his feet and cries when he loses.

this is not to say that jan 6 wasnt a bad, horrible thing, it was.  and its perpetrators should be prosecuted and the electoral act should be straightened out to prevent the possibility of future shenanigans, but trump doesnt have grand plans for autocracy, he's just a little bitch who cant accept losing.

If he had lost in 2016, I am pretty sure he would have claimed that the election was stolen then too.  He wouldn't have had any power to do anything about it, but he would have talked about it for four years.   

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

I'm glad someone here get it.

3 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Boy, is that letting him off the hook. 

how?  i said the perpetrators should be prosecuted.

tater talks about trump like he's mussolini.  he's not.  he's just a whiny bitch.

that doesnt mean he isnt dangerous and bad for the country, but he's not dr. evil.