POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I disagree with the argument that Trump doesn't want to end the American Republican. Trump literally wanted to install himself as a autocratic dictator and that's what January 6th was all about. At best he wants rigged, unfair elections like his boy Viktor Orban has in Hungary with a state-controlled media apparatus backing him up. At worst he wants what Putin has in Russia and Alexander Lukashenko has in Belearus. January 6th was an orchestrated attacked on the rule of law, democratic institutions, and free, fair elections. Trump wanted the legal counting of electoral votes stopped. He wanted his people to seize voting machines. He wanted a Secretary of State in Georgia to change over 11,000 votes to declare him the winner of a state he lost. He wanted votes overturned in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin as well.

That is autocratic by its very nature and spits in the face of democracy and our American Republic. 

Anyone who thinks that Trump is some benign narcissist, and that's it...

Is full of shit.

Hate my opinion if you want... but Tater is 100% correct. Trump wants to overthrow our Democracy and take power all to himself. Fame and fortune are side benefits that he will siphon as much as he possibly can... But he wants to be a dictator, pure and simple.

Not to repeat myself but... anyone disagreeing is NAIVE in all caps and utterly beyond belief.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

"Stupid libtards, you and your idiotic TDS, Trump is just a big nothing, I don't even like him ..."

After Trump 47 leads the destruction of American democracy ...

Collins: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

McConnell: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

Barr: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

Graham: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

Buddha: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

Archie Bunker: "I'm pretty certain he has learned his lesson this time."

Did my taxes yesterday and am wondering how taxes are done in other countries.  Do you have to file like we do in the US?  Mine are pretty simple.  My 21 year old's are exteremely simple.  When I was his age I would get sent a book or go to the library, spend 15 minutes at the kitchen table, then mail them off.  Now he had to pay $25 to efile.  I spent $100.  Been reading how companies like H&R and Turbotax have done their work to make it very hard to know how to file for free.  We have to spend money to reconcile what we owe in taxes.

I don't mind paying taxes.  We need to.  But the IRS has all of this information.  Why can't they just send us something and we can say "yeah, cool, I agree, here's a check or here's my bank info, put it in."   

I still wish we had a flat tax on all income above a certain threshold, no deductions.  Or make it X% until $Y, then graduate it if you want above thresholds.  

• Like 1

I think the thing that might be confusing some people here, assuming they honestly believe that Trump is nothing but a benign businessman, is the idea of Trump wanting to overthrow democracy and become more or less a dictator. That can’t possibly be true, they might be reasoning, because Trump is not a politician. He’s a businessman who happens to be practicing politics. He has no real inclination nor acumen to be a political animal in Washington. His motivations are business-oriented, not politically-oriented, so his intentions pure and clean. Therefore, he can’t be trying to overthrow democracy, because that’s a political goal sought only by politicians, not businessmen.

The thing is, Trump doesn’t have to be a political animal to want to overthrow democracy. He doesn’t have to have a grounding in political theory, or to talk the talk of the political “swamp”, to seek democracy’s demise. All he needs is the desire to take the decision of who becomes the leader of the USA out of the hands of the voters and into his own. That’s what Trump has be wanting to happen, and what he has been clearing the way for his minions at various levels to accomplish on his behalf.

I would agree that Trump is not interested in the political theory behind any of it. To him, it’s all business. As far as he’s concerned, government’s only goal is to strip him of as much of his power to conduct business in whatever manner he sees fit as they can manage to; therefore, Trump’s opposing goal is to basically change the very structure of government by getting rid of the one that’s out to get him, and replacing it with a government cast in his own image, one that gets out of his own business’s way, and bonus, one he can also use as a tool to personally punish his enemies.

Trump doesn’t have to be considered a Washington politician to seek all this and then act on it. All he needs is a cabal of enablers to make it all happen, and for the good people who oppose him, and who trust the system itself to automatically stop him, to stand aside and let him get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The thing is, Trump doesn’t have to be a political animal to want to overthrow democracy.

good summary. He's doesn't aspire to be a revolutionary, just the dictator. With Trump it's basically collateral damage to a personal agenda, but the damage to the system is the same. 

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

They're holing out for a short term reduction in the state gas tax (26.2 cents per gallon). 

illinois did the same thing.  theyre all doing it.  means almost nothing to consumers but will leave big holes in the road budget.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

illinois did the same thing.  theyre all doing it.  means almost nothing to consumers but will leave big holes in the road budget.

That's why the Democrats here are proposing a $50 gas rebate. Basically a loaded debit style card of $50 for every driver. Tax is 26 cents a gallon. It's actually a good deal for consumers, relatively speaking. It pays the tax on 200 gallons of gas +/-

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

That's why the Democrats here are proposing a $50 gas rebate. Basically a loaded debit style card of $50 for every driver. Tax is 26 cents a gallon. It's actually a good deal for consumers, relatively speaking. It pays the tax on 200 gallons of gas +/-

one of our mayoral candidates was paying for people's gas.  he would announce that he was giving out free gas at gas station x and there would be a line of cars miles ling waiting to get there the next day.  he did it for a few days.

Strange story. I'm thinking that the district is bright red. If I were a voter I sure wouldn't fall for Trucker Randy's scheme to run as a Democrat to keep the local Republicans from nominating a RINO. I figure if I lived there I was already screwed politically and vote the other party. I hope it all backfires.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/northern-michigan-trucker-randy-and-pay-play-claims-roil-senate-race?utm_source=Bridge+Michigan&utm_campaign=a656b64fda-Bridge+Newsletter+04%2F25%2F2022&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c64a28dd5a-a656b64fda-82571764