POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Weโ€™re #1 ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ
ย 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/north-carolina-is-no-1-in-americas-top-states-for-business.html

I see Virginia slipped to #3. Maybe if our Rookie Governor spent more time courting business and less time campaigning for his next job.

On second thought, nevermindย 

Edited by CMRivdogs

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Donโ€™t bring facts in to upset the narrative.ย 

There's some interesting parallels between Bernie Bros and Trumpers. Trump lost the election because it was rigged in cities like Detroit, Philadelphia and Milwaukee. All majority black cities where Trump got crushed. Hillary won the primary because she destroyed Bernie in the black vote primarily in the south. The white Bernie Bros cry it's rigged.ย 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There's some interesting parallels between Bernie Bros and Trumpers. Trump lost the election because it was rigged in cities like Detroit, Philadelphia and Milwaukee. All majority black cities where Trump got crushed. Hillary won the primary because she destroyed Bernie in the black vote primarily in the south. The white Bernie Bros cry it's rigged.ย 

That is a theoretical complaint I have against the primary system though. Hillary beat Bernie in a lot of states that the dems were going to lose badly anyway. If Iโ€™m running a party, Iโ€™d rather have a system that gives my voters more weight in the places I can actually win. Admittedly I canโ€™t tell you exactly what that should look like, but I canโ€™t escape feeling the demโ€™s current system works to their own disadvantage. ย 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That is a theoretical complaint I have against the primary system though. Hillary beat Bernie in a lot of states that the dems were going to lose badly anyway. If Iโ€™m running a party, Iโ€™d rather have a system that gives my voters more weight in the places I can actually win. Admittedly I canโ€™t tell exactly what that should look like, but I canโ€™t escape feeling the denโ€™s current system works to their own disadvantage. ย 

I've been seeing that there is some movement to reorder the primary dates away from the traditional Iowa, New Hampshire openers. I think Nevada is in the mix to take over the #1 spot. Not sure if it makes much difference.

I've also been intrigued by ranked choice voting. I've seen mixed results(NYC and Alaska for examples).ย 

I'm with you. I think states that traditionally trend for the Democrats should get first cracks at early voting, or go to 4 regional Super Tuesdays...

I've seen buzz about having Michigan go first. I feel like it should be decided per election cycle. There was a time, not too long ago, where I thought Ohio would have been a good first choice. Move the opening state around like the convention. In fact, maybe have the opening state in the same state as the convention.ย 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

America's biggest problem:

ย 

That is the illustration that really crystallizes the whole issue.ย  The US spends about twice as much per capita as all of those universal health care countries, and delivers shameful results by comparison.ย  The obvious explanation I think, just to make sure that I understand the point, is that in the US more than half of that spending is creamed off by profits for pharmaceuticals, insurers, hospitals, doctors, and so on.ย  That's the whole difference, isn't it?

50 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That is the illustration that really crystallizes the whole issue.ย  The US spends about twice as much per capita as all of those universal health care countries, and delivers shameful results by comparison.ย  The obvious explanation I think, just to make sure that I understand the point, is that in the US more than half of that spending is creamed off by profits for pharmaceuticals, insurers, hospitals, doctors, and so on.ย  That's the whole difference, isn't it?

well, it's half the issue. The other is that Americans practice more self destructive health behaviors completely apart from the value received for their medical dollar. We weigh too much, eat too badly, do too many drugs and are too sedentary for any health care system to return competitive value on the dollar even if we had a system that could, which of course we do not.ย 

Sen. Joe Manchin (D., W.Va.), the pivotal vote in Democratsโ€™ efforts to pass a bill aimed at fighting climate change, told Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer that he wouldnโ€™t support anย economic packagethat raises taxes or includes climate provisions, according to people familiar with the matter.

Instead, Mr. Manchin told Mr. Schumer on Thursday that he would only support a bill that includes provisions aimed at lowering the price of prescription drugs and a two-year extension of Affordable Care Act subsidies, according to one of the people.
WSJ

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Nobody wants to work anymoreย 

(Thread)

ย 

Same old same old.... the current generation whines about the ones coming up.ย  My favorite is the complaining about home improvement.ย  Can't find someone?ย  Then quit your job, go to a trade school, and learn to do it yourself.ย  This entitlement philosophy where certain work is for others to do and when you can't find them then it's their problem.ย  ย You are complaining that others didn't do what you also didn't do.

ย 

ย 

• Like 2