POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is interesting. If these actually work is this a personal right or illegal? Public domain areas, not airports or other secure areas.

nothing about it would be illegal but if it ever caught in they'd just put IR filters in front of the cameras and that would be the end of that.

13 hours ago, romad1 said:

I like him and I hope for good things for his future.   I'm worried this rail line is more optimistic than realistic.

Per the article it's using existing rail so I don't think it's too optimistic. I just don't think it should be a high priority. The priority should be better rail transit connecting Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. I'm also interested in the idea of rail transit from Detroit to Toronto.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Per the article it's using existing rail so I don't think it's too optimistic. I just don't think it should be a high priority. The priority should be better rail transit connecting Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. I'm also interested in the idea of rail transit from Detroit to Toronto.

The latter would be huge.   Detroit should connect direct to NYC and Washington DC without weird transfer at Toledo bs. 

My general problem with passenger rail as a customer is that in any area where you are on the same rail as freight...you are not the priority.   The coal from Wyoming and such has priority.   So, you get to wait while that freight has priority.   This all stems from a super long trip i took to North Carolina in 2015 with my son.  Its an 7-8 drive and it took 18 hours because the ground was wet and so our train had to slow down and freight kept out prioritizing our train. 

Now the NE corridor and probably California passenger rail is great.  My trips to NYC from Washington DC have been great and better than a drive would be for sure.  it should be.  But to incentivize the customers to ride, it has to be a better experience than that if you were going to go from Ann Arbor to Traverse City. 

When you say Detroit to Toronto, do you mean get on a train in Detroit and clear through Customs and Immigration before the train departs?  I don't think that would ever happen.  Windsor to Toronto is a well established passenger route on CN, and a couple of years ago my wife and I went to Quebec City by train from Hamilton.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

When you say Detroit to Toronto, do you mean get on a train in Detroit and clear through Customs and Immigration before the train departs?  I don't think that would ever happen.  Windsor to Toronto is a well established passenger route on CN, and a couple of years ago my wife and I went to Quebec City by train from Hamilton.

I think the idea would be that you get on a train in Detroit which you had to clear the customs.  That train rolls through under the water or wherever and you stop in Windsor for customs and then onto destinations in Canada.  The benefit being you don't need to get across via car or whatever.   This would free up for possible Chicago to Toronto routes.