POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

New study links placement of confederate monuments to lynching…..

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/survey-identifies-correlation-between-confederate-monuments-and-lynchings-180978873/

I literally saw a beat up pickup yesterday, yes of course it was all jacked up, & said 'Merica on the back .. next to a Confederate flag. I suppose I could have explained it to him, but that would have required losing 60 IQ points.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/worker-florida-applied-60-entry-193423909.html

Not sure where to put this, but found it interesting.  I also think this is one important thing that is also left out of the conversation which is how misleading employers are.  I know of a few who post ads on indeed or what not and it'll say xx per hour, benefits, room to grow and most of it is total bullshit.  They're just trying to get applicants but have no intention of doing anything their ads say.  Then they bitch when people show up to interview but then don't show up to work.

4 hours ago, djhutch said:

I literally saw a beat up pickup yesterday, yes of course it was all jacked up, & said 'Merica on the back .. next to a Confederate flag. I suppose I could have explained it to him, but that would have required losing 60 IQ points.

After nine years of living in Texas (ie. an actual Confederate state), it never ceases to amaze me that I see less stars and bars here than I did back home 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

After nine years of living in Texas (ie. an actual Confederate state), it never ceases to amaze me that I see less stars and bars here than I did back home 

Rural North Carolina has no shortage of confederate sedition wear

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm all for Manchin switching to the Republican party.  Cryin Chuck would lose him mind and his title as Senate majority leader.

This newscycle comes up every so often. But at the end of the day, Joe Manchin voted for impeachment twice and has been incredibly defensive of Obamacare throughout the Trump years. 

He isn't gonna become a Republican... as much as more lefty folks complain about him, his ideology still aligns more with the Dems than the Rs. And he really hates McConnell.

32 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm not a fan of the notion that he's not a Democrat.  I feel like the issue here isn't that WV needs someone more liberal, it's that Wisconsin needs someone more liberal than Ron Johnson.   Democrats need to be able to have moderates. 

And Arizona needs someone more liberal than Sinema. 

Manchin is at least willing to play ball in all of this... I still don't know entirely what her endgame is.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like Sinema wants to be hated by everyone. I don't think she even runs again. Probably going to cash out. I can see her as a commentator on Fox News. 

This is what it looks like to me. Being in the senate is just a stepping stone in a quest for personal gain. 

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This newscycle comes up every so often. But at the end of the day, Joe Manchin voted for impeachment twice and has been incredibly defensive of Obamacare throughout the Trump years. 

He isn't gonna become a Republican... as much as more lefty folks complain about him, his ideology still aligns more with the Dems than the Rs. And he really hates McConnell.

I don't think he would jump ship either.  It would be nice if he did so we can keep pain from Biden and the democrats to a minimum.

5 hours ago, pfife said:

Manchin has pretty forcefully denied that report including with swear words.   But Saban also said he wouldn't be the Alabama coach.

I strongly agree about the statues.   It would be no impact on my life.   They're dumb.

Oh boy

11 hours ago, pfife said:

In that case I don't really have issue with it.  If being independent means he has better chance of being re-elected, then go for it.

He'd still caucus with the dems.  That said, I don't think it's happening.  I think it's a political ploy that will allow him to back some version of the BBB bill at some number between 1.7 and the 3.whatever,  while showing a 'I'm very concerned about the debt' that a good portion of his state apparently cares about again.

8 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

He'd still caucus with the dems.  That said, I don't think it's happening.  I think it's a political ploy that will allow him to back some version of the BBB bill at some number between 1.7 and the 3.whatever,  while showing a 'I'm very concerned about the debt' that a good portion of his state apparently cares about again.

I think there's a non-zero chance that it happens, but not a very big chance.    I could definitely see a way that being independent would make him much more electable in WV.   I do wonder how it would work with campaign funding not being a democrat anymore.