POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

I have reached the point of exhaustion wrt politics.  I saw Steve Kornacki on the morning Joe this morning and just hit mute.  I can't.   I want the Trumpies to lose.  I need them to lose.  Hearing how bad it is and how the Dems need to up their game to save democracy is just getting old. 

Get your crap together America. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I have reached the point of exhaustion wrt politics.  I saw Steve Kornacki on the morning Joe this morning and just hit mute.  I can't.   I want the Trumpies to lose.  I need them to lose.  Hearing how bad it is and how the Dems need to up their game to save democracy is just getting old. 

me too..... the old rules don't apply.  It's like watching pro wrestling now because no matter who is better in the end it's fixed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I’m watching Halloween Baking Championships and Halloween Wars.

I don’t even like cake

My daughter has started watching a show called Nailed It on Netflix, where they have regular non-professionals do really complex pastries under a totally unrealistic timeline and they always fail miserably.   It's really quite hilarious show. 

Edited by pfife
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

It's become almost cliche, but as Yeats said, "the best lack all conviction and the worst are full of passionate intensity"

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

There is a part of me tells me that’s what they want. Especially the whole thing about Beloved in Louden County. Stir up controversy over a stupid minor issue to get the base involved. But bore the rest of us

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

There is a part of me tells me that’s what they want. Especially the whole thing about Beloved in Louden County. Stir up controversy over a stupid minor issue to get the base involved. But bore the rest of us

Weirdly, the Dems are +5 in generic ballot for Congress right now.   That can't be good news for all these red wave people. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Weirdly, the Dems are +5 in generic ballot for Congress right now.   That can't be good news for all these red wave people. 

I’m going to wait until they are done screwing around with redistricting. The whole “non partisan” map drawing thing turned into a big fiasco thanks to partisanship on both sides.

Still concerned about the Governors race. 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I’m going to wait until they are done screwing around with redistricting. The whole “non partisan” map drawing thing turned into a big fiasco thanks to partisanship on both sides.

Concerned for sure.  Not stroking any checks. 

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Watching from afar, I can't tell how much of the broader conversation about education in the VA GOV race is real and how much of it is the GOP consultant class flooding the zone for national political pundits (most of whom live in DC Metro and have additional interest in the race because it's in their backyard)... to an extent, we saw the same dynamic four years ago with the MS-13 stuff.

I do think TMac is in some trouble, though he's still favored to pull it out.... I just suspect that it has more to do with the national environment surrounding COVID (which is having an impact on Biden's polling) than it does any of this CRT shit.

Edited by mtutiger

The problem is that we by design mandate some form of gerrymandering because of the voting rights act. It’s a double edged sword.  By creating a solid minority district you turn surrounding areas solid non minority.  You could have a probable D district next to two possible D districts.   Instead you have a certain D and two certain R.  

15 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

it's neck and neck right?  but with tmac in a slight lead within the margin of error?

1 minute ago, oblong said:

The problem is that we by design mandate some form of gerrymandering because of the voting rights act. It’s a double edged sword.  By creating a solid minority district you turn surrounding areas solid non minority.  You could have a probable D district next to two possible D districts.   Instead you have a certain D and two certain R.  

they have similar issues here in illinois but its a little more nuanced.  illinois lost a congressional seat, and since the democrats control the state, they will gerrymander a republican seat out of existence (in addition to the other lost seat) so the republicans will be down to only 2 seats in the whole state, maybe 3.  which is like, thats us power politics.

but where it gets complicated for democrats is that the black population has declined so much and the latino population has grown, now they want another latino rep so theyre making a second latino majority district but to do it they have to take away a black majority district.  

so now the black caucus is threatening to file a voting rights act case against the illinois democrats for taking away a seat and giving it to latinos. 

even more interesting is the political fight in chicago to redraw the wards.  18 black alderman and 13 latinos even though there are more latinos in the city than blacks (and more whites than both).  its going to be an interesting fight in city council this year.

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Watching from afar, I can't tell how much of the broader conversation about education in the VA GOV race is real and how much of it is the GOP consultant class flooding the zone for national political pundits (most of whom live in DC Metro and have additional interest in the race because it's in their backyard)... to an extent, we saw the same dynamic four years ago with the MS-13 stuff.

I do think TMac is in some trouble, though he's still favored to pull it out.... I just suspect that it has more to do with the national environment surrounding COVID (which is having an impact on Biden's polling) than it does any of this CRT shit.

The hillbillys who think northern Virginia is going to go for Youngkin are mislead.  However, there are plenty of signs about indicating the shame of putting a Youngkin sign in one's front yard is less than having a Trump one.  You might still be able to talk to your Asian neighbor if you had one vice the other. 

43 minutes ago, romad1 said:

except the somewhere from a previous cycle I thought I read that the number for the Dems to hold Congress is something like +7 or +8.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The hillbillys who think northern Virginia is going to go for Youngkin are mislead.  However, there are plenty of signs about indicating the shame of putting a Youngkin sign in one's front yard is less than having a Trump one.  You might still be able to talk to your Asian neighbor if you had one vice the other. 

Have you noticed most of the folks with Trumpkin signs display one for the AG as well but conveniently leave out one for Ms Sears

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

except the somewhere from a previous cycle I thought I read that the number for the Dems to hold Congress is something like +7 or +8.

It may not be that bad in reality because of some of the decisions that some state GOPs have made (particularly Texas, who went with more of an incumbent protection map than trying to squeeze out additional seats). 

But a lot will depend on how aggressive states like Illinois and NY are and, conversely, Florida and NC on the R side.

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It may not be that bad in reality because of some of the decisions that some state GOPs have made (particularly Texas, who went with more of an incumbent protection map than trying to squeeze out additional seats). 

But a lot will depend on how aggressive states like Illinois and NY are and, conversely, Florida and NC on the R side.

illinois is being very aggressive.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I tend to think that's common in a lot of suburban areas though.... there was hardly any visible Trump support during 2020 in my neighborhood, although there were plenty of signs for other GOP pols (ie. local State Reps). I can only assume that almost all these people voted for Trump anyway despite not putting his sign out.

I guess what I'm getting at with my comments on this issue is this: one thing the association of the mainstream media with liberalism misses is that GOP consultants do a really good job of leading coverage in a lot of these publications.... specific to Virginia, we saw this with MS-13 four years ago, and the education discussion surrounding this election seems similar.

That's not to say that TMac isn't vulnerable or can't lose (obviously, the polls show a close race), I just think that the focus on these particular issues and how they play in NoVa is gives Josh Kraushaar and Jonathan Martin types more to write about than "Candidate from President's Party Struggles in Tough Mid-Term Environment"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Oh yeah, I definitely think that’s a core principle in the Kremlin’s playbook here: employ a firehose strategy so relentless that we eventually throw our hands up and give up. Their goal is to break down our resistance so they can roll the metaphorical (I hope) tanks in without firing a shot and they can commence the overt plundering and retribution.

Edited by chasfh