POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Is anybody else put off by the pronoun crap on social media?

The pronoun nonsense has made it's way into my workplace. My company projects this progressive image while quietly donating to people like Kelly Loeffler. I have yet to come across someone at work who identifies as someone other than the gender I would have guessed. I changed the pronoun in my email signature to vaccinated after the CEO complained about mandates and told us to vote out people who impose mandates. No one has either noticed or said anything. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The pronoun nonsense has made it's way into my workplace. My company projects this progressive image while quietly donating to people like Kelly Loeffler. I have yet to come across someone at work who identifies as someone other than the gender I would have guessed. I changed the pronoun in my email signature to vaccinated after the CEO complained about mandates and told us to vote out people who impose mandates. No one has either noticed or said anything. 

needless to say it's been in mine (UMich) for awhile now. Some embrace it, some ignore it. We do see students who have re-assigned. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Is anybody else put off by the pronoun crap on social media?

Yup!  I think people are just trying to bring attention to themselves or start disagreements with people that don't agree with them.  There are so many things people can change but they can't change how they were born.  

I've only seen it once on the corporate side and it was in someone's Teams profile.  But I wasn't sure if it was solely about gender preference or just a clarification because some of these names are hard to figure out if they are international.  

Is the idea that if you do not specify yours that you are a bigot?

The over emphasis on this during my son's U-Delaware tour and non-emphasis of this during my U-Michigan and UVA tours indicated all I needed to know about the seriousness of the institutions.  One place is a haven for complicated kids who need a lot of social and emotional protection.  The other two emphasize that your kid needs to measure up to a difficult standard to make it in these schools and having an egg shell personality might not work.  

Now, the practical reality might be that all universities are like that now. 

I went to the show Late Night Catechism Saturday night, where an actress dressed as a nun does a one-woman show as a teacher in a Catholic grade school, and which involves audience participation in which she calls on people to answer questions about Catholic education principles like the Immaculate Conception and whatnot. It's actually a very funny and fun show to attend.

One of the people the nun called on was Dawn. While watching Dawn gamely answering whatever the question was, it occurred to me that Dawn was just masculine enough to lead me to hypothesize that Dawn is trans.

After the exchange, as the nun actress addressed the rest of the "class", she referred to Dawn as "Don" and used the pronoun "he" as reference. Dawn quickly stated that they preferred the pronouns "they/them", which the nun actress deftly handled in a slightly awkward but still, I believe, respectful way.

I've come across many people online wishing to go by they/them, but this is the first time I had been live in the room with someone who asks for that consideration. Not surprising, since we've been in a self-imposed lockdown for the last year and a half.

At intermission, while I was washing up in the restroom, Dawn came in and went into one of the stalls. They had to choose one or the other, I guess. But it certainly gives lie to the canard that men become trans only so they can go into ladies' rooms and harm females.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The other two emphasize that your kid needs to measure up to a difficult standard to make it in these schools and having an egg shell personality might not work.  

Now, the practical reality might be that all universities are like that now. 

yeah - I'd go with the 2nd. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/arts/music/othello-blackface-bright-sheng.html

as for pronouns, all of upper management in my company has been "voluntold" to do it.  they all do it now.  i see it on corporate and law emails about 30% of the time but its growing.

i find it ridiculous, but it is what it is.  it doesnt hurt anyone (other than the english language).  i dont do it, but im sure i will be told to at some point.

they/them annoys me.  its not correct, there is only one of you!  but again, it doesnt hurt anyone other than the english language.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

as for pronouns, all of upper management in my company has been "voluntold" to do it.  they all do it now.  i see it on corporate and law emails about 30% of the time but its growing.

i find it ridiculous, but it is what it is.  it doesnt hurt anyone (other than the english language).  i dont do it, but im sure i will be told to at some point.

they/them annoys me.  its not correct, there is only one of you!  but again, it doesnt hurt anyone other than the english language.

Lots of people at my school do it.  I don't because I think it's silly.  If you want to show that you care, get to know someone and refer to them by name.     

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Lots of people at my school do it.  I don't because I think it's silly.  If you want to show that you care, get to know someone and refer to them by name.     

exactly.  its a superficial thing.

my company - like every us company - is now obsessed with D & E.  so its all about pronouns in emails, diversity clubs, "allies" with minority groups, so we are required to watch multiple videos by people talking about their oppression and all this other stuff about how tough it is for them in this racist, sexist, homophobic country.  which, ok.  but if the company wanted to do something to really help people, they could pay them more money, give them a pension, give them job security.  THAT they wont do.  but pronouns?  videos to complain?  clubs to join?  theyre all over that.  that's easy.

as an aside, if someone asks me to call him "they/them" i will gladly do it.  im not here to offend anyone and its not a big deal even i personally find it silly.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

exactly.  its a superficial thing.

my company - like every us company - is now obsessed with D & E.  so its all about pronouns in emails, diversity clubs, "allies" with minority groups, so we are required to watch multiple videos by people talking about their oppression and all this other stuff about how tough it is for them in this racist, sexist, homophobic country.  which, ok.  but if the company wanted to do something to really help people, they could pay them more money, give them a pension, give them job security.  THAT they wont do.  but pronouns?  videos to complain?  clubs to join?  theyre all over that.  that's easy.

as an aside, if someone asks me to call him "they/them" i will gladly do it.  im not here to offend anyone and its not a big deal even i personally find it silly.

My company does the exact same thing. They also will support a black owned business in Detroit and blast that to all employees. Meanwhile, the corporate political pac is making thousands of dollars in donations to the likes of Kelly Loeffler and Joni Ernst and keeping a lid on it. Only way to find out is to actively search it yourself. If they really were about diversity and inclusion, they would have donated to Warnock and not Loeffler. It costs the company nothing to have people put in their pronouns in email signatures except for the few Trumpers who whine they are being targeted. 

32 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I don’t know if anyone has been following this, but this is great news. 

yeah I have been.  My routine with working from home is to put on Fox 2 News in the morning and leave that on for company.  They covered it quite a bit as Breaking News.

That's great.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

if the company wanted to do something to really help people, they could pay them more money, give them a pension, give them job security.  THAT they wont do.  but pronouns?  videos to complain?  clubs to join?  theyre all over that.  that's easy.

this is the thing for me as well. At UM, these kids have already had their tickets out punched. All the energy and resource spent making them feel comfy may be nice but is doing nothing for all the kids down at W. Chicago and Meyers whose role models are the local bangers.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It reminds me of the Latinx that was used by white people. I dated a Mexican woman and she hated when people used that. 

my wife is mexican.  she and her whole family laugh at it.  white people telling them what to do and how they should be offended.