POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

We are all one diagnosis away from bankruptcy. 

I was just looking at prices for a level 5 prescription, one that can only be filled by a speciality pharmacy. Pre Medicare Part D, it runs about $30,000 a year. Even with insurance you"re paying over $10,000. That eats into whatever nest egg you've put aside without even adding in treatment

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I was just looking at prices for a level 5 prescription, one that can only be filled by a speciality pharmacy. Pre Medicare Part D, it runs about $30,000 a year. Even with insurance you"re paying over $10,000. That eats into whatever nest egg you've put aside without even adding in treatment

Let’s just say it. The preference is for people to just accept death as their only option.  You can see it even as to how people are rather flippingly just saying that if you catch covid and die, so what. Need to cull the herd.

Somewhere in heaven (or possibly purgatory, but probably not hell), Kurt Vonnegut’s is watching his future vision as he wrote about in Welcome to the Monkey House freaking come to fruition. (And he is whispering “Po te weet”)

We’re screwed as a society.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

But...

'Merica has the best medical system in the WORLD!!!

I don't understand.

we do have the best medical system in the world, we just have a terrible way to pay for it, with all sorts of incentives to waste money and to protect the salaries and profits of those already in the system (like doctors, hospitals, and drug companies).

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

we do have the best medical system in the world....

Maybe... how do we compare to Germany, Norway, Britain, and other elite democracies around the world?

Is there data that supports your statement? Because I don't believe for one second that Germany has an inferior medical system to ours... 

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

... we just have a terrible way to pay for it, with all sorts of incentives to waste money and to protect the salaries and profits of those already in the system (like doctors, hospitals, and drug companies).

Which is entirely why we rank last in the civilized/ first world/ democratic world... (I'm not talking ranking against developing countries...).

Based completely on affordability and availability. We still have the highest population of uninsured amongst first world countries.

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, buddha said:

we do have the best medical system in the world, we just have a terrible way to pay for it, with all sorts of incentives to waste money and to protect the salaries and profits of those already in the system (like doctors, hospitals, and drug companies).

only if you accept a very narrow set of criteria for 'best'. From a technology standpoint it is, but if it can't deliver the best public health or life expectancy (which it doesn't) that criteria is too narrow to have social value.

Or say our medical science is the best in the world, which is the narrower but  more accurate formulation. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, gehringer_2 said:

needless to say it's been in mine (UMich) for awhile now. Some embrace it, some ignore it. We do see students who have re-assigned. 

just to get back briefly to our previous discussions of the evilness of colombus (the explorer, not the shitty town in ohio), i was amused to see that people are now apologizing for even mentioning the number "1492" because it causes people so much pain.  colombus living in people's heads even today.  lol.

Screenshot_20211124-055459_Twitter.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

just to get back briefly to our previous discussions of the evilness of colombus (the explorer, not the shitty town in ohio), i was amused to see that people are now apologizing for even mentioning the number "1492" because it causes people so much pain.  colombus living in people's heads even today.  lol.

Christ on a cracker...

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

no one's outraged, its funny.

To an extent, as ridiculous as that tweet is, one would think there actually was outrage among people who participate in that cause that would prompt them to author and send said tweet.

It's ridiculous either way. But maybe not accurate to say no ones outraged lol

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To an extent, as ridiculous as that tweet is, one would think there actually was outrage among people who participate in that cause that would prompt them to author and send said tweet.

It's ridiculous either way. But maybe not accurate to say no ones outraged lol

oh, no doubt people were outraged.  i was responding to the comment "i'm not looking to be outraged by people left of center" by saying i'm not outraged by it.

but there certainly will be angry people on twitter.  one might even say the women's march twitter account did it just to draw attention to themselves...but that would be cynical of me...lol.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

every so often I come across things that remind me of why I used to identify a certain way politically.  This is one of them.  These are the kind of people that tell Mexicans they want to be called Latinx, right?

"deeply"

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

oh, no doubt people were outraged.  i was responding to the comment "i'm not looking to be outraged by people left of center" by saying i'm not outraged by it.

but there certainly will be angry people on twitter.  one might even say the women's march twitter account did it just to draw attention to themselves...but that would be cynical of me...lol.

I think John McWhorter often argues some distance past where the strength of his arguments are, but I like his take that the telling point when a movement/culture/whatever is lost is when its rhetorical mindset crosses over into refusing to talk about real things. I can put 1492 marbles in a jar. If I am going to continue functioning in the real world, I need to able to process that reality. The idea that words in and of themselves are somehow 'guilty by association' is one we'd be better off without.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I was convinced this was photoshopped satire so I decided to look up the tweet and it still exists and it is real. I will say most of the replies were making fun of the tweet. 

People are mad at Chris Pratt.  He's in the Mario movie but I guess not doing an accent.  He also goes to church. The pastor of that church has some weird views but it's a mega church.  They are mad at him for that.  He has a new wife that had a baby and he thanked her for giving him a healthy baby boy.  People are mad at him for that because he has a special needs child with his previous wife/woman and they saw that as a slight.  As a parent of a special needs child I feel comfortable saying that's not a slight.  It's annoying when people on twitter go nuts against actors entertainers for not agreeing with their worldview 100% as if they are Kevin Spacey.  It's especially annoying because if they only knew how many of their favorites are sympathetic to people like Roman Polanski or knew about Weinstein's actions and did nothing about it... 

Pratt's Avenger co stars though are having none of it.  They support him. If he's ok with them he's ok with me.  I don't know where the line is where you shouldn't let personal politics interfere with who you enjoy being entertained by but this aint it.  These leftist purity tests are tiresome.  They should be better than the idiots on the right who will do things like boycott a business because an owner gave money to a library that once hosted drag queen bingo (This is a real thing by the way.  The funny enough the business was Chick Fil A.  The Evangelicals were fighting among themselves)

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

one might even say the women's march twitter account did it just to draw attention to themselves...but that would be cynical of me...lol.

I will say most of the replies were making fun of the tweet.

well, I guess if Trump can leverage ridicule into a form of positive attention for his movement, maybe it's inevitable others will follow?

Edited by gehringer_2