POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

59 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

This guy is running for the House of Delegates. 

You think if we told him if we take boats out of the water there would be no more Trump Boat Parades….

That would be funnier if it wasn’t so freaking tragic.  We now have a segment of the population that is willfully, and proudly,  ignorant… and applaud/idolize non-scientific minds.

We are so screwed.

I would be fired too and most people would today.  To me the bigger problem are the people looking to be offended.  People like this lost their minds when they went toy shopping in California and found boy and girl toy sections.  Now they have a law all toys are mixed together so the parents couldn't be offended.  I wonder if these people have the same problem when they go to the adult store looking for sex toys?

10 minutes ago, Archie said:

I would be fired too and most people would today.  To me the bigger problem are the people looking to be offended. 

This cuts both ways, though.... to an extent, the people flying off the handle defending Gruden here are also looking to be offended and complain about cancel culture. Regardless of the fact that, as I stated above, if any of us used our work email in such fashion, we would be fired.

Cancel culture does exist to an extent, and there are excesses. You won't get an argument out of me there. But, to some, it appears that the existence of "cancel culture" now apparently means that nobody can be fired for anything.

Anyone who can be that easily swayed from one extreme all the way to the other has either zero integrity of convictions, or have no real convictions at all. They haven't thought anything through, so they can be swayed way back to the other side just as easily. Basically, they're in it whatever the thrill of it is.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anyone who can be that easily swayed from one extreme all the way to the other has either zero integrity of convictions, or have no real convictions at all. They haven't thought anything through, so they can be swayed way back to the other side just as easily. Basically, they're in it whatever the thrill of it is.

Perhaps, but you have also noticed that some of the most uncompromising non-smokers are the guys who used to smoke 2 packs a day.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, to be fair maybe they hadn't thought it through the 1st time and began to think it through subsequently and ended up where there are.

I think one thing that is true is that when you are young, you have to choose something to believe about what motivates people and a lot of your ideas will follow from that, and you may change what you think about that any number of times. I think as you get older you form you own 1st person data about what motivates people and at that point if what you had accepted from other people eventually doesn't square with the sum of your own experience a big shift may come in your views also.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, to be fair maybe they hadn't thought it through the 1st time and began to think it through subsequently and ended up where there are.

I think one thing that is true is that when you are young, you have to choose something to believe about what motivates people and a lot of your ideas will follow from that, and you may change what you think about that any number of times. I think as you get older you form you own 1st person data about what motivates people and at that point if what you had accepted from other people eventually doesn't square with the sum of your own experience a big shift may come in your views also.

Sure, that first part is possible in general. But it would take a lot for a long time for me to come around to trusting a person who, as oblong says, is a zealot in one direction and immediately becomes a zealot in the polar opposite direction.

Of course, if you take this particular thread at face value, this guy is a lying sociopath who manipulated his way to Twitter fame using tactics similar to that of TFG, and who deactivated his feed when he got in trouble. So the answer in his case is "no real convictions". This strengthens my anecdotally-based impression that this kind of sudden 180 smells funny.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Sure, that first part is possible in general. But it would take a lot for a long time for me to come around to trusting a person who, as oblong says, is a zealot in one direction and immediately becomes a zealot in the polar opposite direction.

Of course, if you take this particular thread at face value, this guy is a lying sociopath who manipulated his way to Twitter fame using tactics similar to that of TFG, and who deactivated his feed when he got in trouble. So the answer in his case is "no real convictions". This strengthens my anecdotally-based impression that this kind of sudden 180 smells funny.

well, sure  - the default reading should be to dismiss the possibility of principle being in play when people are monetizing themselves. 💰 🤑

Edited by gehringer_2