2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

46 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I agree, but to your second point, he's not gonna "have another job" lined up before the end of his contract. 

Maybe they ultimately part ways in the end, but the big fear that Tiger fans always seem to express is that he's gonna opt out and go manage a contender. If that happens, I don't think that's happening until his contract expires 

I was talking about him exercising an out, not the contract ending. 

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was talking about him exercising an out, not the contract ending. 

I know. And my point is that he's not gonna exercise an opt out because he will not have another job lined up.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

He may exercise an opt out just to avoid tarnishing his record even more if he feels we're gonna be bad for awhile even if that means him sitting out a year or 2 for a job. Assuming we continue to be terrible this year and suck again next year and he gets fired he is going to have a lot harder time finding a job then. He may be able to talk teams into this year being a flukey terrible year where all the guys underperformed and we suffered through injuries but if it happens for multiple years that will be way tougher to do. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m sorry, I can’t figure out what you’re referring to?

No need to be sorry it’s not totally clear. Today’s Detroit News talks about poor drafting and development as main problem for many years and the last paragraph says, paraphrasing, at long last no matter how uncomfortable it’s a simple matter for Tiger ownership to recognize. 

Sorry I don’t know how to copy and paste on my phone. 

We are now ten full weeks into the season, so courtesy of Fangraphs, here is the Tigers' hitting performance by week-of-season. Highlighted are our MLB rank in runs scored and well as our wRC+ each week.

image.thumb.png.eec4ad35ef491b0a0b0beace56342d77.png

"High"lights:

• The Tigers have not yet ranked higher than 20th in runs scored in any given week.
  • Amazingly, the Tigers have never finished 30th, either—although we have finished 28th or 29th six of the ten weeks.
  • We haven't had even one week with a wRC+ higher than 93 (average major league team for whole season = 100)
  • Nine of ten weeks, we had a team batting average of .228 or less.
  • Nine of ten weeks, our OBP was lower than the current MLB season OBP of .311.
  • Our best SLG for any week is still 24 points lower than the current MLB season SLG of .392.

Conclusion: we have not had even one good hitting week yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

We are now ten full weeks into the season, so courtesy of Fangraphs, here is the Tigers' hitting performance by week-of-season. Highlighted are our MLB rank in runs scored and well as our wRC+ each week.

image.thumb.png.eec4ad35ef491b0a0b0beace56342d77.png

"High"lights:

• The Tigers have not yet ranked higher than 20th in runs scored in any given week.
  • Amazingly, the Tigers have never finished 30th, either—although we have finished 28th or 29th six of the ten weeks.
  • We haven't had even one week with a wRC+ higher than 93 (average major league team for whole season = 100)
  • Nine of ten weeks, we had a team batting average of .228 or less.
  • Nine of ten weeks, our OBP was lower than the current MLB season OBP of .311.
  • Our best SLG for any week is still 24 points lower than the current MLB season SLG of .392.

Conclusion: we have not had even one good hitting week yet.

Wow in the last 2 weeks our position players have been worth -2.1 WAR. That pro rates out to roughly -24 WAR for the season. Just brutal!

I haven't seen any info regarding the return of ERod.  Usually these leaves are pretty short but it seems like he's been out a couple weeks already.  When or if he comes back they will send him to Toledo for a few weeks to get ready.  So far he is falling in the category of a FA signing bust.  Al is familiar with those.

3 hours ago, Archie said:

I haven't seen any info regarding the return of ERod.  Usually these leaves are pretty short but it seems like he's been out a couple weeks already.  When or if he comes back they will send him to Toledo for a few weeks to get ready.  So far he is falling in the category of a FA signing bust.  Al is familiar with those.

Sounds like he was wrapping up his rehab assignment but went on the restricted list due to "marital issues"

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2022/06/eduardo-rodriguezs-absence-due-to-marital-issues-report-says.html

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

One of the Bally folks mentioned that the Tigers are still paying him even though they reserve the right not to.

Yeah when the day it first came out Trevor Thompson mentioned during the telecast that he will still be getting paid during the whole ordeal. 

There are very few things on Earth I hate to the extent that Lynn hates Comerica Park and its dimensions.  Bitching about it again this morning on twitter after Grossman was quoted as saying that he didn't like hitting here as an opponent. If I understand his last sentence correctly it sounds like Lynn has blown past just moving the fences in and wants a whole new ball park. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There are very few things on Earth I hate to the extent that Lynn hates Comerica Park and its dimensions.  Bitching about it again this morning on twitter after Grossman was quoted as saying that he didn't like hitting here as an opponent. If I understand his last sentence correctly it sounds like Lynn has blown past just moving the fences in and wants a whole new ball park. 

Well, I have been thinking about it, and the idea of replacing it is absolutely ridiculous.   It's fine where it is. 

But I do have a feeling that they are going to study the idea of moving in the fences.   I would not be shocked if they do that in the next 2 years, especially if MLB keeps putting the balls in humidors and deadening the balls (deadening the balls sounds dirty).    They have to analyze every fly ball and determine what the sweet spot would be to make it play more like an even park.   But they would have to have assurances that MLB will STOP FUCKING WITH THE BALL!   It's those power alleys, they are ridiculous and it would not surprise me to see them come in 10-15 feet.   The lines would stay the same, but where that right field corner kind of juts out, I can see CF getting moved in 10 feet and more of a straight line going to Center, and I can also imagine the whole left field wall changing angles about 5 degrees.  

But replacing the current stadium?   Not for at least 25 years.  Perfect location.  Everything is there now. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I always disliked the park as a fan.  It's way too open; you don't have any shade from the sun/rain.  It's very poorly designed.  But I'm fine with the dimensions.

And I absolutely hate the merry-go-round.  It's completely out of place for a ballpark.