2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

Said it in the game thread, but the more I think about it the more I'm surprised he agreed to go on the record for this story. He avoids the press most of the time as it is and generally is only seen in friendly environments...

Maybe he felt the need to defend his record this time because he's actually concerned?

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Anybody have comment on this at all?

We've had countless debates about AJ opting out on this board, and it appears that it is literally all fiction.

It's not the most important part of Rosenthal's piece, but it feels underplayed a lot.

I think the biggest takeaway is that you shouldn't believe everything you read (whether it's on the internet or not).  Alwas get a second source. 

I believe it was also Lynn Henning that threw Dave Dombrowski's hat into the ring as a new commissioner candidate when Selig retired.  I could never get a second source on this one and therefore I never believed that he was ever considered.  

38 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

They were lucky to get what they got, there was no market at all for one-dimensional righthanded power.

They could have traded him earlier or extended him.  I know that depended on Chris Ilitch spending money, but letting the second best Tigers hitter in the last 40 years get away for nothing was a mistake by the organization.  

I know the trade has been beaten to death but aside from the return what I never got was why they traded him when they did. It was like 2 weeks before the deadline.  Why not wait 2 weeks and see if a market develops? Not to mention that although we were in 4th in the division we were still only 5 games back of first place. What if we went something like 11-3 in those 2 weeks and moved to within 2 games by the deadline? 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They could have traded him earlier

This. The Tigers were too often trying to have it both ways, you are either St. Louis or you are the Yankees but you can't be half and half. They didn't want to pay JD but they didn't want to move him before '17 because they thought they still had a shot. Instead he ended up making no difference and then they got nothing back. 

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know the trade has been beaten to death but aside from the return what I never got was why they traded him when they did. It was like 2 weeks before the deadline.  Why not wait 2 weeks and see if a market develops? Not to mention that although we were in 4th in the division we were still only 5 games back of first place. What if we went something like 11-3 in those 2 weeks and moved to within 2 games by the deadline? 

Jose freaking King, that's why.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

because avila LIKED what they got in return.

exhibit a in why he's bad at his job.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:44 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Jeff Luhnow is still available. If you were fine with Hinch, you should be fine with Luhnow. I say fire Avila and hire Luhnow. 

Luhnow just bought a second division Spanish soccer team.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This. The Tigers were too often trying to have it both ways, you are either St. Louis or you are the Yankees but you can't be half and half. They didn't want to pay JD but they didn't want to move him before '17 because they thought they still had a shot. Instead he ended up making no difference and then they got nothing back. 

trading him before '17 would have been bad for marketing and ticket sales.  How can you have a slogan when you trade your best hitter and one of hte most popular players?

The Tigers org caters to the casual fan who is about 18 months behind on who is good and who isn't.  The kind who thinks James McCann is a "kid" who deserves time to season and get better but Nick Castellanos is a washed up bust when in fact JM was 2 years older.

• Like 1

1B Spencer Torkelson (Tigers, seventh in the top 100) started the season well in April with solid underlying metrics and decent outcomes. Since then, he has been ice cold, hitting .202/.276/.279 with a wRC+ of 62 (i.e. 38% below league average performance at the plate). His launch angle has cratered from 18 degrees to 8 degrees, though he did cut his strikeout rate from 34% to 22%. His contact rate has improved, but he is missing the in-game power that made him the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2020. Torkelson is dialing in the same sliding scale of aggression, power, lift, pitch selection, etc., that Rodriguez and Witt are, but he has been the worst of the group and has the least speed and defense to offer, so he has to be downgraded a bit while he figures this out.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34130754/graduated-mlb-prospect-stock-watch-which-rookies-rising-falling-their-debuts

21 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Anybody have comment on this at all?

We've had countless debates about AJ opting out on this board, and it appears that it is literally all fiction.

It's not the most important part of Rosenthal's piece, but it feels underplayed a lot.

Honestly, this organization is so tight-lipped and obfuscatory about everything, I don’t know what to believe when they say stuff.

19 hours ago, buddha said:

while he criticizes Al, he's actually too nice to him for my liking.  go for the juggular Kenny!

Rosenthal may have been protecting Cody Stavenhagen, as someone else here keenly observed, but Rosenthal himself needs to maintain access, too.

19 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Said it in the game thread, but the more I think about it the more I'm surprised he agreed to go on the record for this story. He avoids the press most of the time as it is and generally is only seen in friendly environments...

Maybe he felt the need to defend his record this time because he's actually concerned?

It was calculated that it would look worse for the organization for Al to avoid going on record to defend the Tigers as best as he could manage.

43 minutes ago, oblong said:

trading him before '17 would have been bad for marketing and ticket sales.  How can you have a slogan when you trade your best hitter and one of hte most popular players?

The Tigers org caters to the casual fan who is about 18 months behind on who is good and who isn't.  The kind who thinks James McCann is a "kid" who deserves time to season and get better but Nick Castellanos is a washed up bust when in fact JM was 2 years older.

“I like James McCann. He’s a good-looking player who’s got grit. There’s a guy down the street from me named McCann. Good guy.”

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It was calculated that it would look worse for the organization for Al to avoid going on record to defend the Tigers as best as he could manage.

TBH, it doesn't mean anything to the org anyway you cut it. Only die-hard fans follow things like the Athletic, and those fans are already hooked or mad or both, but just like us, they are still paying attention regardless.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, it doesn't mean anything to the org anyway you cut it. Only die-hard fans follow things like the Athletic, and those fans are already hooked or mad or both, but just like us, they are still paying attention regardless.

It’s true that the article will mean nothing to the organization if Ken Rosenthal and the Athletic are an isolated silo in the media world and don’t affect anything around them.

Should post this in the MLB thread and not Tigers thread but since this gets more action I'm going to post it here and that is that I just want to acknowledge the greatness of Shohei Ohtani. On Tuesday he hits 2HRs and drives in 8 runs, then the following day he throws 8 shutout innings of 2 hit ball with 13Ks!  It's just mind boggling.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s true that the article will mean nothing to the organization if Ken Rosenthal and the Athletic are an isolated silo in the media world and don’t affect anything around them.

in the current age, isn't all media becoming siloed?

Edited by gehringer_2