2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

According to Beck, Rony Garcia to the IL (sore shoulder) and Garrett Hill starting on Monday.  

My boy Hill is getting his shot!

It’ll be interesting to see whether his strikeout stuff plays in Detroit. Will have to keep those walks down, but if he can continue keeping the ball in the ballpark, he can be serviceable at least.

Willie Horton with a new book releasing July 12th. Preordered and can’t wait to receive it. 

His new autobiography, “Willie Horton: 23: Detroit’s own Willie the Wonder, the Tigers’ first Black great,” co-authored with Kevin Allen, is scheduled for a July 12 release. That is one week before Horton heads to Los Angeles for the MLB All-Star Game after accepting Houston Astros manager Dusty Baker’s invitation to be the American League’s honorary coach.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

According to Beck, Rony Garcia to the IL (sore shoulder) and Garrett Hill starting on Monday.  

My boy Hill is getting his shot!

You mean the reliever they forced to pitch like a starter without properly stretching him out got injured?  

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The bloom is off Fetter’s brilliance, the Tigers have broken Skubal. 

It seems like things took a turn for worse not only with Skubal but the rest of the staff the moment Fetter turned down the Michigan job and said he was staying here. It's like the baseball Gods telling Fetter that he screwed up by staying loyal to this dumpster fire. 

I saw Sam Howard pitch for the Low A Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies) several years ago. He pitched a really good game in Asheville that day. I shook the young man’s hand after the game and commended him on his effort. Hope he lands a spot somewhere.

Edited by 1776
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I saw Sam Howard pitch for the Low A Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies) several years ago. He pitched a really good game in Asheville that day. I shook the young man’s hand after the game and commended him on his effort. Hope he lands a spot somewhere.

Probably Toledo.

Hutchinson is the new Goodrum to me. This guy has zero future and will likely be out of organized baseball within a year. There isn't any young guy or veteran coming back from injury with some potential on the planet who could take these starts? 

I'm coming around on wasting pas/ip being one of the dumbest things an organization can do. What if we'd given Paredes all the at bats wasted on journeyman nobodies the last two years? 

Other than controlling the free agency clock, giving playing time to useless and more expensive players just seems like throwing a bone to the player's association 

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Hutchinson is the new Goodrum to me. This guy has zero future and will likely be out of organized baseball within a year. There isn't any young guy or veteran coming back from injury with some potential on the planet who could take these starts? 

TBF, the guys who would ideally be taking these starts are all pitching in the majors right now (ie. Faedo, Brieske, Hill) because of injuries or guys being MIA (ie. Mize, Manning, ERod, previously Pineda).... two of their other options (ie. R. Garcia, Wentz) are injured, and another option clearly isn't a better option than Hutchison at the moment (ie. ElRod)

I guess they could theoretically reach further down and bring Reese Olson or Austin Bergner or Chance Kirby into this mess, but I'm guessing they do not think they are ready.

At this point, I'll take the fact that they have barely had any scheduled bullpen games during a year where they've set a record for the franchise in terms different starters as a sign of progress, even if it involves Hutchison getting starts.

Edited by mtutiger

On 7/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Jason_R said:

Yes and then the headline for the announcement of the new Wings head coach is, “Ilitch Blasts Tigers at Lalonde Intro.”

Can you provide any example where an anodyne comment by an owner in Detroit was turned into such a headline?  I can't.  You're acting like this is the WH Press Corps and Ilitch is Richard Nixon or something.  

....and as much as I want Avila gone, and as lopsidedly bad as the Paredes/Meadows trade has been to-date, it's ridiculous to me to suggest that anyone guessed or knew how this would shake out.

All of the preseason projection services had Paredes pegged for mediocre power (415 - 425 SLG and mid-100's ISO), not a 600 SLG and 25% HR/FB ratio.  He hasn't changed his launch angle or his FB approach as a hitter, so it's not obvious yet that Tampa's people unlocked something in his swing, though that's possible.  Maybe just maybe he's having a really hot stretch.

And c'mon, nobody could have predicted that Meadows would suffer the plagues of Job.  If someone can explain to me how Meadows various health problems are tied together and/or could have been predicted, that's one thing, but what has happened to him is just really, really bad luck.

I'll make a deal -- I'll agree that Avila should have known that this trade would not work out, if somehow that claim gets Avila fired -- otherwise I'm sticking to my guns on this.

• Like 1