2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

I don't get the rebuilding and not rebuilding themes. Teams should always be rebuilding from their current position to a better one. Turnover should be accepted and almost embraced and $$ is an asset that can always be redistributed. Grossman and Candy out and the 15 million saved can get better players. Relief pitcher gets hot then trade them off for a better return. Good teams develop those and  Fetter/Hinch seem to be doing that which is the best development this year after RG. Constantly add players to help now and some to help later. If you find a true cornerstone then sure cement it in. We currently have one. So keep working Al. Start by resigning. That would fix your mistakes.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I don't get the rebuilding and not rebuilding themes. Teams should always be rebuilding from their current position to a better one. Turnover should be accepted and almost embraced and $$ is an asset that can always be redistributed. Grossman and Candy out and the 15 million saved can get better players. Relief pitcher gets hot then trade them off for a better return. Good teams develop those and  Fetter/Hinch seem to be doing that which is the best development this year after RG. Constantly add players to help now and some to help later. If you find a true cornerstone then sure cement it in. We currently have one. So keep working Al. Start by resigning. That would fix your mistakes.

Agree with this. In short, you are either building or you are getting worse.  But in the Tiger’s case what they really meant was only that the ‘tanking’ was over, which is a narrower meaning. 🙄

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, sabretooth said:

My comment about you turning my respectful question inside-out was completely respectful on my part.

If you are suggesting that I was commenting about the above in an insincere fashion in order to distract from the point (the definition of a red herring), then all I can say is (a) PHHHBBBBTT!!, (b) you're wrong and (c) maybe you should consider engaging in some pasttime that doesn't involve you questioning the basic motives of people you don't even know, as an argumentative tactic.

If you instigate and keep returning to snarky and personal comments, I don't think it's the least bit hypocritical for me to respond with targeted sharp comments and sarcasm; and my original point remains completely intact even if I do so -- i.e., that you had no reason to take the conversation there in the first place.

I also don't agree at all with your final point.....nobody suggested that Ilitch should have "turn Lalonde’s press conference into a news event about Avila’s job status."  Just that if Chris was willing to talk about the Tigers, he shouldn't have sounded like an idiot. 

I didn't instigate anything. I just disagreed with those who were mad at Chris I that he didn't voice their anger toward Avila during Lalonde's press conference. You seem to be offended that I dare disagree. That's up to you, dude, but don't pretend you're not the one chasing me around trying to police differences of opinion. 

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Rebuilding in the Tigers context is cutting costs to save money. If they are making trades to make themselves better in the future, that's not antithetical to the rebuild being over.

Every trade is putatively about making an organization better. I don't think that's in dispute. There is a difference between trading prospects for veterans, and trading veterans for prospects. The former is about winning now, which is what teams that are not rebuilding, or are done rebuilding, try to do. The latter is punting on winning now to set themselves up to win at some point in the future, which is something rebuilding teams do.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Every trade is putatively about making an organization better. I don't think that's in dispute. There is a difference between trading prospects for veterans, and trading veterans for prospects. The former is about winning now, which is what teams that are not rebuilding, or are done rebuilding, try to do. The latter is punting on winning now to set themselves up to win at some point in the future, which is something rebuilding teams do.

The tigers are still in rebuilding mode because Avila has bungled the entire thing. But he gets to correct all of his mistakes? That should work well.

• Like 1

Some horrifying Baez numbers from The Athletic today, although nothing surprising compared to the eye test. 

"Javy versus sliders, according to Baseball Savant: .113, with a (gulp) 51-percent whiff rate.

• Javy’s chase rate on pitches outside the strike zone: 47.5 percent, second-worst in baseball.

• Javy’s percentage of swings that whiffed: 36.1, second-worst in the AL behind human air conditioner Joey Gallo."

Oof

5 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Apologies to Jason, Lee, and others who were offended by my latest post.

It was wrong of me.

I asked motownwebguy to remove my post and he kindly obliged.

Not really offensive.  Just out of place. Thanks for removing it before we spiraled into politics.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Miggy getting picked for the all star game is a nice gesture in what could be his final season. All Star and hit .300 would be a good way to retire in grace. 

We all know he will be paid next year but will he play ?

He will play next year.

37 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

He will play next year.

Agreed. The real question is will he play in 2024 and, if so, for whom?

I would hope he sees the writing in the wall and doesn't want to be a bench bat for someone. But hitting .300, albeit without power, could play 

Edited by JackPine

16 minutes ago, JackPine said:

Agreed. The real question is will he play in 2024 and, if so, for whom?

I would hope he sees the writing in the wall and doesn't want to be a bench bat for someone. But hitting .300, albeit without power, could play 

I think he’s already previously said he would retire after this contract.

There is no reason for him to retire even if they pay him. He is still reasonably productive and has actually been durable this year.  I doubt he'll want to play beyond next year in a part-time role and smaller salary, although Pujols is doing it so you never know.    

Are you aware of the amount of money Miggy has to pay in Child Support.   He's not walking away from anything.  

So I noticed that Meadows hasn't played the last 2 nights after playing one game at Toledo..............What is it now?    If an announcement about an injury was made, I missed it. 

Kerry Carpenter is giving the Tigers a lot of reasons to give him a look this season. 

Why is Robbie Grossman still here? 

• Like 1

If Cabrera stays healthy and finishes the season with a good BA but lousy OPS, he will come to Spring training ready to play. If the Tigs don’t think they are going to win anything that will be fine because he’ll be good marketing passing people on the all time lists. If they do think the DH bat could make or break a playoff run, they would have to decide to cut him and then pay him to play for someone else.  Possible, but seems unlikely

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Are you aware of the amount of money Miggy has to pay in Child Support.   He's not walking away from anything.  

So I noticed that Meadows hasn't played the last 2 nights after playing one game at Toledo..............What is it now?    If an announcement about an injury was made, I missed it. 

Kerry Carpenter is giving the Tigers a lot of reasons to give him a look this season. 

Why is Robbie Grossman still here? 

I agree he is not walking away.  But he should have no problem paying his child support without next year's salary as long as he has not been extremely reckless with his money.  

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Thanks. Next question :

Will his playing help or hinder our playoff chances ? Are we better with a zero power .680 ops DH ?

I would say we are better off with Meadows at DH, assuming he bounces back to something closer to his career averages.   I suppose a platoon with Cabrera would be the easy answer.    

2 hours ago, Hart said:

I would say we are better off with Meadows at DH, assuming he bounces back to something closer to his career averages.   I suppose a platoon with Cabrera would be the easy answer.    

If they were to platoon at DH, I would think Meadows would still see time in the OF, the extent to which is likely to depend upon Cabrera’s bat and other OF options (in some form or fashion).  They’re probably looking at an OF of Greene, Baddoo, Meadows, and maybe Reyes as the 4th OF?  Can’t imagine Hill or Cameron have much more runway to make the MLB due to their performance.  Does CastroW factor into the OF mix?  Carpenter is a wildcard.

Then there’s also 3B which looks more unsettled then heading into this season.  Will they just go with Candelario’s last season of control and hope he rebounds?  Are they going to need to platoon there?

I would think Schoop is kept as his hitting numbers seem to suggest a lot of bad luck this season.  The hard hit rates and BABIPs don’t exactly fall in line with the slash numerals.

I guess thinking out loud about this now, what offensive changes besides a healthy Meadows and a (hopefully) returning Baddoo are expected this off-season?  A healthy Rogers behind the plate?  Changes need to be made, but what can we reasonably expect?