2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

btw, moving baez to second base really does make that a disastrous signing.  you didnt pay $18 millon a year for 5 years for a guy to play really good second base.  you paid for shortstop defense.

now you're back at square one and were back to "should have drafted mayer" and "should have signed correa" again.

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

btw, moving baez to second base really does make that a disastrous signing.  you didnt pay $18 millon a year for 5 years for a guy to play really good second base.  you paid for shortstop defense.

now you're back at square one and were back to "should have drafted mayer" and "should have signed correa" again.

Can still do one of those things.

The signing does look disastrous.  However, you can’t punt on the next 6 years of it.

No way Baez moves to 2nd base.  He wouldn't be on board with that.  No one in the Tigers organization would have the balls to make the decision or to tell Baez that they are moving him to 2nd base.

This is the worst hitting Tigers team I can remember.  

The only player on the Tigers that regularly hits the ball with authority is Eric Haase.

The Tigers have the worst  hitting  catcher, 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman, and collective outfield in the league.

Cabrera is strictly a singles hitter, and Baez goes through long stretches of suckiness.  

If they don't make major changes next year, this team is going to be bottom of the barrel again next year.

10 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

17 saves. Even in this day and age, the save stat is still looked at as very valuable.

My personal belief is that they are keeping him as closer to get him as many saves as possible so that they can get a high return at the deadline. Although Avila will be the one making the deal.  

Saves are an overrated stat.

so I'm beginning to suspect that the Tiger brain trust has come up with a 'system' for hitters in Detroit - maybe around the way scouting reports are presented or the advice for hitters on approach, or the nature of the film work being done or BP is conducted - or some combination of all of it that they are committed to but which simply doesn't work for a number of their hitters. I really can't think of any good reason that no-one on the staff is being held accountable for the horrible approaches other than that the players are actually trying to work inside the system they are being given,  that the system is crap, and the Tigers won't move off it.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I had Achilles tendinitis around this time last year in my left leg.  It sucked.  I’m no athlete, but I like to bicycle a few times a week, maybe getting 30-50 miles a week depending on what’s going on.  I had to give that up for about a month.  Rest it, ice it, raise it every once in a while, do some light stretching with an exercise band.  This was one foot.

I can see a pro athlete pushing it too quickly and exacerbating the issue, especially with it in both legs.  Granted he’s probably getting better care and rehab than some hack like me.  But this was also in both legs, and he needs both to do his job every day which is quite a bit more than biking a few times a week.

20 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Barnhart is a bust.  6 extra base hits and a sub .300 SLG?  His defense isn’t good enough to make up for that—I’d rather have Garneau up right now.

I also have to take issue with Baez’ defense—he has the athleticism to play SS, but his arm sucks.  Torkelson has bailed him out numerous times this year by digging crappy throws out of the dirt.  The sooner we can find a SS to move him to 2B, the better.

Also, I think Pineda has pitched the way I expected.  His only issue was his injury. He was signed a a 5th starter. 

I agree with you about Pineda.  Now, he did arrive with durability concerns, but the injury he sustained was a line drive off of the bat that he couldn’t get his hand out of the way of.  That was kind of a flukey deal.

His FIP is a little high, he allows too many HRs and doesn’t strike out many, but I don’t think he’s been disappointing considering what the expectations were.  Coolbaugh and the bats shoulder a good deal of blame for this season’s malaise.

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Tigers best defenders according to Baseball Savant Outs Above Average

Schoop +21 (best in baseball!)

Baez +3

Hill +2

W. Castro +1

Torkelson +1

Ok, how does the +21 compare to his previous seasons?  Or how does it compare among 2B in recent seasons where heavy shifting has been employed?  That +21 just sticks out way too much from those other players.

Speaking of shifts, last night was the first time that I’ve seen a 4 OF / 3 IF alignment live and in person.  We were behind the plate in the upper tank when the Blue Jays pulled this shift for Kyle Schwaber.  My oldest daughter realized it right away and asked me what was going on.  (Made me proud that she picked up on it, maybe I’m doing a decent job of parenting?)

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'd rather have Lawler than Mayer

from cory in the athletic today:

one year later, it is still too early to make a definitive conclusion. Player development is a long arc and rarely is it completely linear. But the results do not yet validate the Tigers’ decision to draft Jobe. In his first 40 2/3 professional innings (all at Low-A Lakeland) Jobe has a 5.09 ERA. He is averaging a respectable 9.52 strikeouts per nine innings but also has a 3.98 BB/9.

Scouts do not doubt Jobe’s talent. He still has the ceiling of a frontline MLB starter. The slider is real and averages over 3,000 rpm. But, per multiple observers, the level of command and polish hasn’t been quite as advertised. His fastball, though it can touch the upper 90s, has averaged closer to 94 mph. He’s a 19-year-old pitcher with a lot left to learn.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

from cory in the athletic today:

one year later, it is still too early to make a definitive conclusion. Player development is a long arc and rarely is it completely linear. But the results do not yet validate the Tigers’ decision to draft Jobe.

every team knows that HS pitchers have huge bust rates, even Avila. Mayer looks great; Lawler looks awesome and is now in A+. Not hard for Al to do, but it certainly looks like he outsmarted himself.

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

every team knows that HS pitchers have huge bust rates, even Avila. Mayer looks great; Lawler looks awesome and is now in A+. Not hard for Al to do, but it certainly looks like he outsmarted himself.

This is mere speculation and there’s no way to check it in this specific instance, but one of the wild cards at hand is the system each player ended up in. Move any of the three to either of the other two systems, and are we seeing the same results thus far? Again, no way to know—all we know is what we’re seeing in this universe.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is mere speculation and there’s no way to check it in this specific instance, but one of the wild cards at hand is the system each player ended up in. Move any of the three to either of the other two systems, and are we seeing the same results thus far? Again, no way to know—all we know is what we’re seeing in this universe.

Other considerations are where HS players want to play (yes, they can impact it since they can leverage the threat of going to college).  Another factor is manipulating each team’s budget allocations.  I might be wrong, but thought we signed Jobe under slot, which freed up $$ to help sign both Madden and Pacheco.

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Other considerations are where HS players want to play (yes, they can impact it since they can leverage the threat of going to college).  Another factor is manipulating each team’s budget allocations.  I might be wrong, but thought we signed Jobe under slot, which freed up $$ to help sign both Madden and Pacheco.

Good point... do they get Madden or Pacheco if they draft Mayer? I'm not too familiar with the terms of his deal with the Red Sox, but I doubt Mayer would have agreed to an underslot deal

That may be a trade some are willing to make. But it is a consideration when looking at the decision to draft Jobe over another player, be it Mayer or Lawlar or whoever.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Ok, how does the +21 compare to his previous seasons?  Or how does it compare among 2B in recent seasons where heavy shifting has been employed?  That +21 just sticks out way too much from those other players.

Speaking of shifts, last night was the first time that I’ve seen a 4 OF / 3 IF alignment live and in person.  We were behind the plate in the upper tank when the Blue Jays pulled this shift for Kyle Schwaber.  My oldest daughter realized it right away and asked me what was going on.  (Made me proud that she picked up on it, maybe I’m doing a decent job of parenting?)

+21 is really high, but he has been consistently above average:

2016 +13

2017 +6

2018 +5

2019 +4

2020 +5

Top second bassemen from 2016 - 2022

Schoop +55

LeMahieu +42

Starlin Castro +31

Kinsler +29

Segura +23

Odor +23

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Wow that's old school, some teams used to do that to Dick Allen when he played for those awful Phillies teams.  If you could hold him to a single the rest of the team wouldn't be able to drive him in.

This is one of those good news bad news type of stats. The good news is the obvious fact that it's nice to have a bp like that, the bad news is that this is one of those things that is volatile and unpredictable so if that number were to head south our record could end up being a lot worse than we are hoping for.