2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He obviously reads this board.  My negativity lit a fire under him.  

He CRUSHED Single A after getting demoted. So hopefully he has the confidence to just keep goin non stop from here on out.

Hopefully the same thing will happen to Tork. Get a breather, figure it out, go back to MLB an tear it up!

On 7/18/2022 at 11:59 AM, chasfh said:

One of the stories about Tork basically has Tork saying hey, my swing is my swing, when I'm sitting dead red for a fastball and he throws a slider and I swing and miss, that's fine, I'll get him on the next pitch, and it's all about mindset and not mechanics. That pretty much dovetails pretty much into what you're saying here. I don't know whether that's the case, but I will say that a guy who can't adjust his swing for the pitch he didn't expect isn't going to do well in the big leagues very consistently.

This I agree with completely.

Seriously, how many guys on this team are worth keeping, besides Mize, Manning, Tork, Greene, Skuval (only because they are so young/early in their careers)?!  There really isn't any other, non rookie/near rookie player worth keeping after this season.  Can someone convince me otherwise?

6 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Seriously, how many guys on this team are worth keeping, besides Mize, Manning, Tork, Greene, Skuval (only because they are so young/early in their careers)?!  There really isn't any other, non rookie/near rookie player worth keeping after this season.  Can someone convince me otherwise?

Lange and Vest. Otherwise. Yeah lol

As far as non-rookies go, I am okay going into next season with Schoop as the everyday second baseman.  He's under contract for one more season and probably bounces back to something closer to career norms.  Seems like he has been around forever but he'll only be 31 next year.  Kind of bridge to Wenceel Perez. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hart said:

As far as non-rookies go, I am okay going into next season with Schoop as the everyday second baseman.  He's under contract for one more season and probably bounces back to something closer to career norms.  Seems like he has been around forever but he'll only be 31 next year.  Kind of bridge to Wenceel Perez. 

Or maybe Jace Jung if things go well? One imagines he could move quick if he has success 

50 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Vest, Lange and Jimenez are worth keeping, but they are also worth trading.

I’m not sure we get anything interesting for any of them. The first two haven’t proven themselves over time so a contending team can hardly expect to rely on them to help this year, and Joe has only one more year after this before he is a free agent.

Already found myself checking the top prospects for the 2023 draft. It doesnt sound like there are any Bryce Harpers in it and of course even if there were and we did end up finishing last this will be the first year where there is a lottery so with the way Detroit sports luck has been in lotteries(aside from Cade) we probably will end up picking the lowest spot we possibly can. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’m not sure we get anything interesting for any of them. The first two haven’t proven themselves over time so a contending team can hardly expect to rely on them to help this year, and Joe has only one more year after this before he is a free agent.

Which is why I'd try to trade them!  Their relievers have been good this year, but I suspect them to regress next year.  That's what relievers do.  A team in the Tigers positon should market all relievers.  

2 hours ago, Hart said:

I looked it up the other day and Schoop and Baez have very similar numbers from the age of 25 when they both broke out to the age of 29.  Baez has a couple more Hrs/year.  

Given that Schoop has been an elite defender according to the numbers, it seems to make sense to keep him around for another year and expect his bat to bounce back to something reasonable.

Edited by sabretooth

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Which is why I'd try to trade them!  Their relievers have been good this year, but I suspect them to regress next year.  That's what relievers do.  A team in the Tigers positon should market all relievers.  

Yeah, relievers are up one year and down the next....then sometimes they disappear altogether.  If you can get any value out of them you definitely trade them.

As Jim would say, “You can’t make this up…”

The Tigers have been plagued by pitching injuries, and manager A.J. Hinch told reporters (including Chris McCosky of The Detroit News) that the 2022 season is over for two of the club’s hurlers.  Right-handers Alex Faedo and Kyle Funkhouser are both considering surgery — Faedo for a nagging hip problem, and Funkhouser for the shoulder strain that has kept him from pitching all season.

Edited by 1776

42 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I looked it up the other day and Schoop and Baez have very similar numbers from the age of 25 when they both broke out to the age of 29.  Baez has a couple more Hrs/year.  

Given that Schoop has been an elite defender according to the numbers, it seems to make sense to keep him around for another year and expect his bat to bounce back to something reasonable.

Schoop has an option, but it doesn't seem likely that he would choose to leave after this season unless he finishes strong.  I'd probably keep him another year for the reasons you say.  

The 2022 Tigers have used 28 different pitchers (which includes 3 position players).  15 different pitchers have started a game for the team.

In 1984, the Tigers used a grand total of 14 different pitchers.  10 of those 14 started a game.  5 of those 10 accounted for 146 of the 162 games started.  4 of those 5 started 130 of the 162.

Kids, we ain’t even at game 100 yet.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I didn't mean to imply that because they're haven't proven themselves they're no good, or are flash in the pans, or even volatile. I meant to imply that Avila would get very little for them in a negotiation because they are unproven. Avila doesn't appear to be able to haggle his way past that roadblock.

Personally, I'd trade any of them for a good return. I would not trade any of them for a lottery ticket.

Yeah I wouldn't just trade them for a lottery ticket either, if that's all they can get then I'd just say hang onto them in hopes that they finish the year strong and start next year well.  If they do that maybe next deadline they will have more value then and if we are really lucky we will have a better GM doing the trading too.  

Also unlike other positions I don't think teams put as much stock for relievers into how many years you control them cause they know how volatile they are, so waiting a year to trade them probably wouldn't effect the return as long as they stay good. They trade for them with the sole purpose of helping them win the championship that particular year and not necessarily for the long term cause they know barring a select few you never really know what you are going to get year to year.

Edited by RandyMarsh

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't mean to imply that because they're haven't proven themselves they're no good, or are flash in the pans, or even volatile. I meant to imply that Avila would get very little for them in a negotiation because they are unproven. Avila doesn't appear to be able to haggle his way past that roadblock.

Personally, I'd trade any of them for a good return. I would not trade any of them for a lottery ticket.

They won't get any more than a lottery pick for them, but if let's say Lange was packaged with Soto, they might get something decent.  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I feel like people said guys like Cisnero and Funkhouser shouldn't have been traded last year because the Tigers had team control on them.

Cash in any reliever you can in a down season.

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They won't get any more than a lottery pick for them, but if let's say Lange was packaged with Soto, they might get something decent.  

Carnation Instant Bullpen Package:

Soto, Fulmer, and Lange

That would bring back something nice.