2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Good point... do they get Madden or Pacheco if they draft Mayer? I'm not too familiar with the terms of his deal with the Red Sox, but I doubt Mayer would have agreed to an underslot deal

That may be a trade some are willing to make. But it is a consideration when looking at the decision to draft Jobe over another player, be it Mayer or Lawlar or whoever.

Butterfly effect of drafting Mayer is unknown, and I will admit Jobe-Madden-Pacheco might be better than Mayer-?-?, but Jobe certainly has not shown he is worth the added risk

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is one of those good news bad news type of stats. The good news is the obvious fact that it's nice to have a bp like that, the bad news is that this is one of those things that is volatile and unpredictable so if that number were to head south our record could end up being a lot worse than we are hoping for. 

For Avila's sake, I hope no one tells Chris that Baltimore, playing in the brutal AL East, is .500

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Butterfly effect of drafting Mayer is unknown, and I will admit Jobe-Madden-Pacheco might be better than Mayer-?-?, but Jobe certainly has not shown he is worth the added risk

I get it, but I'm not declaring Jobe a bust yet. 

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

+21 is really high, but he has been consistently above average:

2016 +13

2017 +6

2018 +5

2019 +4

2020 +5

Top second bassemen from 2016 - 2022

Schoop +55

LeMahieu +42

Starlin Castro +31

Kinsler +29

Segura +23

Odor +23

So, yeah, +21 seems unbelievably high in comparison.  I think.

Are defensive metrics still largely a work in progress?  Is defensive positioning helping him?  Isn’t defensive range one of the earlier skill sets that declines; is he somehow avoiding this for now?

Sorry, that number compared to the rest just sticks out so much to me.  I’m trying to figure it out without breaking into formulae.

Updates on Rogers and Turnbull:

… Starting pitcher Spencer Turnbull, recovering from Tommy John surgery, is throwing off the mound in Lakeland. “That’s a great step,” Hinch said. “It’s still a long road back but getting off the mound for the first time has to be a positive for him mentally. Just to be back being a pitcher again.”

… Catcher Jake Rogers, also coming off Tommy John surgery, is getting closer to a rehab assignment. Hinch said he’s ready to do just about everything on the field, but he has to get his arm built up more before they start the 20-day rehab assignment clock. “We can’t get him live at-bats until he can do everything because that starts the clock,” Hinch said. “Once he starts playing (games), he’s got 20 days to where we either have to option him or bring him to the big leagues. We’re going to make sure he can be a complete player before he's back."

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, casimir said:

So, yeah, +21 seems unbelievably high in comparison.  I think.

Are defensive metrics still largely a work in progress?  Is defensive positioning helping him?  Isn’t defensive range one of the earlier skill sets that declines; is he somehow avoiding this for now?

Sorry, that number compared to the rest just sticks out so much to me.  I’m trying to figure it out without breaking into formulae.

Defensive metrics bounce around a lot from year to year.  A good defender should have plus signs every year, but it's not precise like hitting stats.  +21 could be out of whack due to randomness or because of shifts.  I don't know how much Statcast does to factor shifts into the equation.  My original post was in response to someone who said that Schoop is a solid defender which I think the annual stats show to be true.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, sabretooth said:

I think this is the right "take" on the deal.  I don't think there was or is any "secret sauce" with Paredes or hidden problems with Meadows.  Paredes may be able to carry this jump-start forward, but I think after this current hot streak, Paredes will settle back to where he was (and still IS) projected to be, which is a decent to good on-base guy with some pop.

Meadows just needs Steve Austin bionics (not the wrestler, the TV character), not much to ask for.

And yeah, I grabbed Josh Lowe for my Fantasy Team and already dropped him...his stock as a prospect has gone from high to zero in just a couple of terrible months, especially for a 24-year old with a lot of minor league mileage and only one really "plus" year at AAA in 2021 to show for it.

Just a quick refresh on this: 

image.png.da468e2b94ba44341811fa94b469b5d7.png

For July: .217/.294/391

Now we have to see is Paredes can adjust.

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

3 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Now we have to see is Parades can adjust.

I just cut him from my last place fantasy team so he’s bound to get hot again.

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Now we have to see is Paredes can adjust.

I've noticed less Jeff Riger on my SM accounts, guess this explains it lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Funk & Faedo shut down indefinitely. Cisnero to the bereavement list.

Funkhouser gone until at least 2023. Faedo denied he was even in pain, which makes sense given that he is an on-the-bubble big leaguer.

My recent pissy post and my testy text arguments with other fans has proven to me that this ^#^&%* team has gotten way too far under my skin.

I love what Fetters has done to make a great BP, Greene has been a sparkplug of sorts, and I am amazed that they have played near .500 ball since the dismal 9-23 start, despite losing their entire starting rotation, and despite the continued failure of half of their lineup.

Regardless, this is just not a fun team to watch, other than Greene, and hes barely OPSing 700.

Moreover,  Chris is "very happy" with this team, seemingly no matter whether they succeed or suck.

I am convinced that this team will not achieve anything better than mediocrity for the foreseeable future, as a result of the owners personal myopic focus on "safe" low risk profits.

The last straw will be if they take the option on Cabrera.   Keeping him around for that kind of money in 2023 would be a stupid PR move with zero upside on the field.   A smart GM could do a lot with $30 million.  But Alas we don't have a smart GM, nor a wins-oriented owner to help drive the GM to build the roster for success on the field.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sabretooth said:

My recent pissy post and my testy text arguments with other fans has proven to me that this ^#^&%* team has gotten way too far under my skin.

I love what Fetters has done to make a great BP, Greene has been a sparkplug of sorts, and I am amazed that they have played near .500 ball since the dismal 9-23 start, despite losing their entire starting rotation, and despite the continued failure of half of their lineup.

Regardless, this is just not a fun team to watch, other than Greene, and hes barely OPSing 700.

Moreover,  Chris is "very happy" with this team, seemingly no matter whether they succeed or suck.

I am convinced that this team will not achieve anything better than mediocrity for the foreseeable future, as a result of the owners personal myopic focus on "safe" low risk profits.

The last straw will be if they take the option on Cabrera.   Keeping him around for that kind of money in 2023 would be a stupid PR move with zero upside on the field.   A smart GM could do a lot with $30 million.  But Alas we don't have a smart GM, nor a wins-oriented owner to help drive the GM to build the roster for success on the field.

You mean the 2024 option?  It's such a long shot I can't even begin to imagine it's a possibility.  That would definitely cement Illitch as the worse owner in the city of Detroit, worse than even the Ford family.  

The Tigers are the poster child for how unpredictable pitching can be now.  They have done almost everything right and taken all the precautions with all their young pitching and most of it appears to not have mattered.  If Brieske feels good, I would not hesitate to push him to 150 innings.  I don't know what their innings limit is for him but the chances pitching 120 innings versus 150 innings makes any kind of difference seems absurd to me at this point.  

6 hours ago, sabretooth said:

image.png.466312dba68679f06a3dcd552c2359b2.png

Maybe this is too simplistic of a summary of a terms of the agreement, but the Tigers don't have any options to accept or decline.  They are on the hook through 2023.  Options kick in for 2024/2025 based on the MVP vote.

I suppose they could DFA Cabrera, but that doesn't seem likely at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hart said:

You mean the 2024 option?  It's such a long shot I can't even begin to imagine it's a possibility.  That would definitely cement Illitch as the worse owner in the city of Detroit, worse than even the Ford family.  

Sorry, mistype, I meant 2024.  Hopefully there are rocking chairs being brought out in his honor throughout 2023.

I keep hearing a lot of fans outside of MTS say that Cabrera is their best hitter this year and where would they be without him and so on and so forth.  And when I go to the park even after his milestones have been reached, his is the most popular jersey and his arrival at the plate garners the biggest cheers by far.  Cabrera unfortunately is their only seriously marketable player at this point.

Hopefully sentimentality is spent in 2022/2023 and his resources are allocated elsewhere in 2024.

Edited by sabretooth

If Tork is going to succeed in the MLB, and I have every expectation that he will, he should be doing productive things by 2023.  Maybe Greene can be at least average or maybe above avg as well in 2023.  If so, they would rightfully become the face of the franchise.

29 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I keep hearing a lot of fans outside of MTS say that Cabrera is their best hitter this year and where would they be without him and so on and so forth.  And when I go to the park even after his milestones have been reached, his is the most popular jersey and his arrival at the plate garners the biggest cheers by far.  Cabrera unfortunately is their only seriously marketable player at this point.

Hopefully sentimentality is spent in 2022/2023 and his resources are allocated elsewhere in 2024.

This does matter a bit I guess, at least when the team is awful.  I am not sure how much he helps the team at this point but there is still a little extra excitement when he comes to the plate.