2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Carnation Instant Bullpen Package:

Soto, Fulmer, and Lange

That would bring back something nice.

package them to the same team?  is there a team that would have room to add three slightly above average relief pitchers to its roster?  and if there is, is that a team actually in contention?

i'd keep lange and soto but would trade fulmer if i could.  problem is, like chas said, youre not going to get anything for them other than a lottery ticket guy.  you might as well keep the lottery tickets you already have.

unless theo epstein is advising some team and telling them to sell decent prospects for average to bad pitching.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

package them to the same team?  is there a team that would have room to add three slightly above average relief pitchers to its roster?  and if there is, is that a team actually in contention?

i'd keep lange and soto but would trade fulmer if i could.  problem is, like chas said, youre not going to get anything for them other than a lottery ticket guy.  you might as well keep the lottery tickets you already have.

unless theo epstein is advising some team and telling them to sell decent prospects for average to bad pitching.

Mentioned it a few days ago, but the best blueprint involving Soto is something like the Clay Holmes for Diego Castillo/Hoy Park deal between Pittsburgh and NYY last year.

Neither are blue chip, Park hasn't played much in the big leagues, Castillo has been more of a regular contributor for the Pirates. But the deal came together in part because of the depth that the Yanks have in terms of infield, and the Pirates had a need.

I think they can get something useful for each of the guys, but some of the names like Andy Pages and Brett Baty? Not happening, most likely... people need to lower their expectations 

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

Maybe Tampa would be interested.  😂

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Carnation Instant Bullpen Package:

Soto, Fulmer, and Lange

That would bring back something nice.

Is there any contending team that needs three major-league-ready relievers for their staff so badly that they’ll give up numbered prospects for a package like this?

EDIT: And then I turned the page …

Edited by chasfh

I noticed that when Candy had the identical bad season in 2019, before his two good "seasons" (2020 and 2021), his Launch Angle was 15.8.

For 2020 and 2021, when he raked with LD % in the 25-26% range, his Launch Angle was in the 12-13 range.

In 2022, it's been back up around 15 again, and LDs are down to 18%.  He had a career average 22% LDs in 2019, but his batting average and OPS on LDs was very low compared to his average for LD and the league average, making me think that a lot of his LDs in 2019 were soft-hits.  His Hard-Hit % in 2019 and 2022 are both in the 33% range, compared to 38-39 in the 2020-21 period.  His barrel pct in 2019 was a meager 5%, compared to 9, 10, and 9 in 2020-22.

The point is I wonder if he's just angling the swing plane too much.  A degree or two in the wrong direction (up or down) can seem to wreak havoc on guys.  Soler and Sano are examples of guys who can go too steep or too flat with bad overall effects on their hitting.

BILL JAMES AND BILLY BEAN ARE WRECKING BASEBALL AVILLA AND HENCH NEED TO GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR SPREADSHEETS AND GET BACK TO BASICS EXIT VELLOCITY AND LAUNCH ANGEL ARE FOR NERDS YOU SEE THE BALL YOU HIT THE BALL.

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

BILL JAMES AND BILLY BEAN ARE WRECKING BASEBALL AVILLA AND HENCH NEED TO GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR SPREADSHEETS AND GET BACK TO BASICS EXIT VELLOCITY AND LAUNCH ANGEL ARE FOR NERDS YOU SEE THE BALL YOU HIT THE BALL.

actually, I think you could break guys down into groups based on those that are missing the ball vs those that get their bat to it but hit it less than optimally. That might give you some rational guidance as to what various guys should be working on. Hopefully they do some of that now.

• Like 1

I set up a sock puppet account on twitter earlier and identified my interests as Detroit and baseball and all the accounts sent to me as suggestions were all flying #fireavila tags.  So those were the influencers.  All are negative and angry.  

Chris I, sell this team.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I set up a sock puppet account on twitter earlier and identified my interests as Detroit and baseball and all the accounts sent to me as suggestions were all flying #fireavila tags.  So those were the influencers.  All are negative and angry.  

Chris I, sell this team.

What are your plans for a sock puppet account?  You going to troll Sportz?

On 7/20/2022 at 4:18 PM, Shinzaki said:

Tork needs to whomp a few dingers...you don't need no thinking to whomp dingers

So far, he can't catch up to the Major League fast ball. There are many examples of AAA power hitters, great prospects, who haven't been able to make the adjustment. Hopefully Tork will.

I hate the return on Avila's trades as much as the next guy but in his defense he did get a good return for Justin Wilson along with getting Reese Olsen for Norris. Also getting Lange doesn't look so bad right now either so I wouldn't be complete against him doing the trading for our relievers.

I would not want him handling somebody like Skubal though, unlike the relievers he could be a real asset and I would not want to trust Avila with somebody that important. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hate the return on Avila's trades as much as the next guy but in his defense he did get a good return for Justin Wilson along with getting Reese Olsen for Norris. Also getting Lange doesn't look so bad right now either so I wouldn't be complete against him doing the trading for our relievers.

I would not want him handling somebody like Skubal though, unlike the relievers he could be a real asset and I would not want to trust Avila with somebody that important. 

This is how I feel.  He is a weak GM compared to others, but he is not totally incompetent.  If they have a chance to get something decent for their relievers then do it.  Avila trading Skubal would be problematic.  They can't go on like this forever though.  It's time to move on to another GM.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agree.  Less risk involved moving relievers than with moving Skubal.

But they need to move on from Avila as GM.  It’s just not working.

Just now, casimir said:

Agree.  Less risk involved moving relievers than with moving Skubal.

But they need to move on from Avila as GM.  It’s just not working.

I have no reason to think this other than just blind faith but I think Avila will be gone at the end of the year, probably not fired from the organization but they'll move him out of the GM role and find somewhere else to put him just out of loyalty. 

I think they haven't done it yet this year because they don't just want to name an interim for the time being, instead they want to wait till the offseason where they can do a more thorough search and get the permanent replacement. Despite the things that Chris has said and how passive he seems to be with more and more heat being put on Avila from the fans and even the local media I think Chris will have no choice but to make the move even if he really doesn't want to. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no reason to think this other than just blind faith but I think Avila will be gone at the end of the year, probably not fired from the organization but they'll move him out of the GM role and find somewhere else to put him just out of loyalty. 

I think they haven't done it yet this year because they don't just want to name an interim for the time being, instead they want to wait till the offseason where they can do a more thorough search and get the permanent replacement. Despite the things that Chris has said and how passive he seems to be with more and more heat being put on Avila from the fans and even the local media I think Chris will have no choice but to make the move even if he really doesn't want to. 

The more recent memories of Mike Ilitch make him seem a more win or go home owner.  A lot of folks forget about the Randy Smith era.  This seems like that in that it’s obviously not working, but it seems that blind loyalty is too strong.

A new GM is going to want to hire his own manager, and Chris isn't going to eat 3 years of Hinch's contract.  So Al might have, ironically, enhanced his own job security by being so clueless as to offer Hinch 5 years when no one else was going to offer him anything at all.

49 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

A new GM is going to want to hire his own manager, and Chris isn't going to eat 3 years of Hinch's contract.  So Al might have, ironically, enhanced his own job security by being so clueless as to offer Hinch 5 years when no one else was going to offer him anything at all.

maybe- that assumes Hinch wants to sit on the sidelines for the rest of his contract term. If he takes another baseball job the Tigers are probably off the hook for some chunk of the remainder of his contract.

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Avila just limits his trades to the Cubs, he should be OK.