2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

We’ll never know but I would love to know if Tampa Bay changed/adjusted anything he was doing following the trade. The Rays are a savvy organization and perhaps they saw something that the Tigers didn’t.

Who initiated contact on this deal? 

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

I do not believe so.  I think they needed an OF and were able to get one with multiple years of control and a solid track record if they gave up Paredes and most people on this board and outside of it were amazed Paredes was all it took...

I agree with this.

But I also agree with your earlier post in that... why was he not getting an opportunity to play when the guys that were playing ahead of him were playing like detritus...?

If he had enough AB's to actually prove himself, he might be our starting 2B or 3B today, or at least a top backup, and we would have traded someone else for Meadows (or been unable to get him if it was Paredes that they really wanted... which also says that they did a proper evaluation (at this point in time) and that we did NOT). Which I think is yours and several of us's point. 

(I made up "us's" just to squeeze that in there...)

26 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

For those who don't remember what they said about the trade at the time, the comments start on page 142 in the Hot Stove League thread.  Spoiler alert:  you liked it.

We did.

But we're annoyed that the team never gave him a chance to prove that he was worth more than just being a trade asset... and the beneficiary's were Willi "No Glove" Castro, or Niko "No Longer With Us" Goodrum, or similar ilk.

And the following:

42 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If Meadows were healthy and hitting like he did last year, most people would still be ok with the deal, even with the way Paredes is hitting.  The fact that Meadows and Paredes went in opposite directions make the deal look much worse than it actually is and doesn't help Avila's reputation of making terrible trades. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

For those who don't remember what they said about the trade at the time, the comments start on page 142 in the Hot Stove League thread.  Spoiler alert:  you liked it.

I had reservations because it was Tampa Bay and said they would unlock his talents. I also was hopeful Meadows would be the last piece to get up in the playoffs so I was hoping for the best. The fact he looks so much better now is good for him but reflects poorly on the Tigers. And his 100 abs in 2020 during covid as a 21 year old is not an extended look in my opinion. That whole year throughout baseball was bad information with Willie Castro hitting case in point. 

19 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Reminder: I didn’t. The only quarter I gave was that the move showed chutzpah, but I also expressed apprehension that he would go on to have a All-Star career in someone’s threads. There’s no guarantee he will keep it up, obviously, but even you admit he’s off to a damn good start. His 1.8 WAR in 34 games extrapolates out to 7.9 WAR for 150 games.

In retrospect, Paredes was probably always on the block, since he himself was seen as being blocked here for the next two years, so I believe Avila was looking for the first decent trade opportunity to come up. If Riley had broken north with the team and we didn’t feel we wanted Meadows, I think Paredes would probably have been dealt for whatever halfway decent right-handed starter we could have gotten when all the pitchers were going down—perhaps somebody like Drew Rasmussen of the Rays.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tell me you haven't been watching all season without telling me you haven't been watching all season. Seriously what guys is he talking about? 

Most generous reading is that he could be referring to the pitching staff getting some better than expected performances from Brieske, Faedo, Lange, Vest, etc.

But that's a wildly out of touch answer when the reason for your failures has been in large part due to the regression of vets and lack of development offensively from younger players ranging from Tork to Vic Reyes.

Edited by mtutiger

What was he supposed to say? "Sorry Derek, I know this is your big moment and all, but I have a lot of things to get off my chest about Al Avila and that dumpster fire he's sitting on."

Yes, that would be a great way to alienate the coach you just hired at the very moment you are introducing him.

5 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

What was he supposed to say? "Sorry Derek, I know this is your big moment and all, but I have a lot of things to get off my chest about Al Avila and that dumpster fire he's sitting on."

Yes, that would be a great way to alienate the coach you just hired at the very moment you are introducing him.

He could've said "I'm disappointed with the results but I have confidence that AJ will turn it around" or something of that nature. Don't patronize the fan base by saying you're "very pleased" and talk about young players have come up and developed when one of the biggest knocks is that our young guys have gotten injured, regressed in the case of Baddoo or have been disappointments in the case of Tork. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

He could've said "I'm disappointed with the results but I have confidence that AJ will turn it around" or something of that nature. Don't patronize the fan base by saying you're "very pleased" and talk about young players have come up and developed when one of the biggest knocks is that our young guys have gotten injured, regressed in the case of Baddoo or have been disappointments in the case of Tork. 

That would have required him to pay actual attention to how the Tigers are doing.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Al Avila is still the executive decision-maker when Spring Training starts next year, then quite possibly.

Just came across this tweet. 

Even that winning percentage is skewed cause they had a half way decent winning percentage the first couple years of his tenure with players that he didn't acquire. 

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Give me a break.....he didn't have to act like Jim from Taxi.  The only thing that would have been stupider is if he had rolled some 80's montage about how the Tigers are improving.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The statement reads like something like you would hear on Bally about this team.

Very concerning when the owner is expressing those views. It's not as if he has to throw anyone under the bus of blame anyone in particular for why they are where they are, but just acknowledge that the product on the field isn't what was envisioned and move on from there. The fans aren't idiots, they can see and identify the problems... just message that you see them as well.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The statement reads like something like you would hear on Bally about this team.

Very concerning when the owner is expressing those views. It's not as if he has to throw anyone under the bus of blame anyone in particular for why they are where they are, but just acknowledge that the product on the field isn't what was envisioned and move on from there. The fans aren't idiots, they can see and identify the problems... just message that you see them as well.

Chris Ilitch is in a tycoon bubble, so probably everything he knows about what the fans are thinking is what he's told, and who among his executives will tell him the truth? Do his executives even know the depth of the truth? They might well be in their own bubble.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yes and then the headline for the announcement of the new Wings head coach is, “Ilitch Blasts Tigers at Lalonde Intro.”

23 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes and then the headline for the announcement of the new Wings head coach is, “Ilitch Blasts Tigers at Lalonde Intro.”

The headline would have been the exact same as the headline that came with the answer he gave.