2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

On 5/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, Tiger337 said:

How do you know their record last year was because of Hinch?  Teams get luckly and have random good years all the time.  It's not like it's trending into this year.   

Teams also get unlucky and have bad years. FOs are no more, or less responsible for ether. You hope to be able to see past that at the longer term organizational direciton.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, everyone prepare yourselves for the fact that it will likely be Al that hires his own successor. :classic_biggrin:

I don’t know that there is a person in the FO capable of identifying and hiring a good GM if Avila departs. Illitch was oblivious enough to extend a guy that was failing in his job. 

12 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Without it getting political, what the heck does Sportz twitter name mean? If it's political, you can answer in a direct message.

It's pretty straight forward.  There's a group of anti-vaxxers out there and he is clearly pro-vax.  COVID-19 may have made it political, but this was even the case even before COVID-19. 

Remember when the top Ilitch fired the previous GM? He didn’t hire a guy with a new broom to sweep clean. He just moved everyone else up one slot.

Meet the new boss … 

This ownership has been married to this front office administration for nearly 20 years. Ilitches are very conservative people, and Chris has shown no indication that he’s not that as well, so blowing up the whole thing and starting over, while totally warranted, would be completely out of character for them.

But also, within the upper echelons of the front office are established loyalties to Ilitch that would be swept away and would have to be re-established with an entirely new regime from the outside that could come in and muck things up on some corporate level in a way none of us can see from outside the mirrored windows. Loyalty among the officers is crucially important to tycoons.

In any event, we must remember: “The rebuild is 100% over”. So firing top front office staff willy-nilly at this moment would project an image of chaos and confusion, and Ilitches certainly have no interest in that. So I would expect, at minimum, that Al lasts into the winter, and that if he does go, he will go in some gentle way that moves him upstairs to a less hands-on but still powerful role, and, as stated earlier, he will likely hand-pick his own successor, one who will lean heavily on Al for organizational guidance. What are the odds he hires a wunderkind who’s far more competent than he?

We may get the culture change of increased competence we all long for, but if so, I would guess it would happen very gradually, and over a term of years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We may get the culture change of increased competence we all long for, but if so, I would guess it would happen very gradually, and over a term of years.

TBH, looking at the org's recent hires, they have gotten some positive reviews, I don't think we necessarily need to be pessimistic a priori. Al has shown an ability to hire  good people.

Edited by gehringer_2

He’s always had the talent, but he never got a real chance, so I’m wondering whether the team thought there was a bad cultural fit between them and Paredes. I can’t imagine they thought that either Candelario or Schoop have better futures with the team than Paredes ever could.

Unless the Tigers are completely incompetent at assessing baseball talent.

Take your pick.

Just now, chasfh said:

Unless the Tigers are completely incompetent at assessing baseball talent

IDK, maybe a team can have too much history with a guy. If this turns out to be anything resembling real, it would be a cause of having seen all the flaws and not being able to see change. That would be a serious indictment of a lot of people in the system. No point trying to develop guys if your are blind to when it's working. But it's 100 PA. We'll see where he is at 200 before we start filing the tines on our pitchforks.....

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Paredes never hit for that much power here. Did the Rays unlock some potential or is it a sample size fluke? It will take time to determine that. The pitchers are going to adjust. Will Paredes be able to maintain the power when they do?

Maybe all, some, or none of this. We'll see. But all I know is that as of right now, this is shaping up to be yet another example of executive malpractice by Al Avila.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I hope he hits 25 homers and gets a nice payday.  I still don't mind the trade and I don't support the argument that the Tigers didn’t give him a fair chance.

Then maybe it's more that the Tigers didn't know how to unlock him. But he always was considered to have the talent to hit like this. Maybe he won't keep it up. Probably. But I think there's a good chance the kid's got it and the Tigers didn't know what to do with it.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

He’s always had the talent, but he never got a real chance, so I’m wondering whether the team thought there was a bad cultural fit between them and Paredes. I can’t imagine they thought that either Candelario or Schoop have better futures with the team than Paredes ever could.

Take your pick.

Despite admittedly being streaky, Schoop came into this season with his last 1200 PA at >750 OPS, there was no reason to think he was going to crash like this. Looking through all his peripherals and maybe in hindsight you can argue his pull rate and ISO were down some last season, but could have also argued that was adjustment to COPA. He had had 4 out of 5 RC+>100 seasons. I don't think it's fair to criticize the Tiger FO for thinking Schoop would again be at least in the 1-1.5 WAR range.

But given that, should we have expected Paredes to have become better than that? Before this season, if you had asked in my totally fan based subjective judgment I'd have pegged Paredes as maybe as topping out as a 2 WAR player, partly because even if the good plate discipline started to come through, he had yet to prove much in the way of his defensive chops and he does look like he could easily "grow" out of his quickness, even if he hasn't yet. Whereas I do think Schoop is a plus 2B.  So sort of a wash between the two of them potential wise to me there, though of course you gain 6 yrs with Paredes.

OTOH - to me Candy's resume has been more up and down and he's missed more injury time. Even though Candy's best last year was a lot better than Schoop, to me there has always been more an aura of fragility around his performance. I don't think I would have banked on Candelario blocking anyone long term.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Take your pick.

I choose incompetent. I am sick of myself talking about Esock but why didn’t they give him a decent run.