2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

If the Tigers were to move the fences in from CF I wonder if they could potentially move the statues from up in the concourse there and and have their own little version of the Yankees monument park between the moved in CF wall and where the shrubs are at now. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Also I echo the statements about the sun and would love it there was a way to correct this. The Hard Rock stadium in Miami basically transformed their stadium by extending the roofs allowing for the most of the seats to be in the shade. That's the only stadium I can think of that has done that, I wouldn't expect Comerica nor would they need to go that drastic since as bad as it is I don't think it was as bad as what that stadium in Miami was pre renovations but perhaps they could do something similar. 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think part of the problem with the ball was accidental and ...

I believe the manipulation of the baseball is specifically due to the Steroid Era.

Homers Galore! and the interest in baseball skyrocketed (starting with the McGwire-Sosa great HR chase, "breaking" Maris's record, and then Bonds and "breaking" Aaron's record...). Dontcha know chicks dig the longball? And owners love raking in all that money...

But then steroids testing and penalties shot up as the steroid jig was up (in 2005 or 2006 or... ? don't remember the exact year) and the longball crashed back to earth.

What to do....? 

Hmmm...

Juice the baseballs?

I think that was the specific reaction to the drop in HR's after the age of steroids came to an end...

Management Decision.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I believe the manipulation of the baseball is specifically due to the Steroid Era.

Homers Galore! and the interest in baseball skyrocketed (starting with the McGwire-Sosa great HR chase, "breaking" Maris's record, and then Bonds and "breaking" Aaron's record...). Dontcha know chicks dig the longball? And owners love raking in all that money...

But then steroids testing and penalties shot up as the steroid jig was up (in 2005 or 2006 or... ? don't remember the exact year) and the longball crashed back to earth.

What to do....? 

Hmmm...

Juice the baseballs?

I think that was the specific reaction to the drop in HR's after the age of steroids came to an end...

Management Decision.

I agree with all of this.  I also think they dejuiced the balls for a few years to show that testing was working.  

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree with all of this.  I also think they dejuiced the balls for a few years to show that testing was working.  

you also have the over lay of the transition to maple bats. That also increased the number of hitters that could reach the seats. At some point the ball should have been adjusted just to match the harder bats, or maple could have not been allowed in the first place...

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you also have the over lay of the transition to maple bats. That also increased the number of hitters that could reach the seats. At some point the ball should have been adjusted just to match the harder bats, or maple could have not been allowed in the first place...

Wasn't maple always around?

They just weren't used as much as ash since they were brittle and broke often (IIRC)...

But with the emphasis on HR's everyone went with the harder wood and since teams are paying for the bats anyways who cares if there's lots of broken bats... ?

I could be off on that... just going from memory...

What do you guys remember on this...?

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Bally's would have to cut a deal with Amazon.   Amazon want's their piece of it.

I use Kindle to read books.  I buy a book every few weeks.   I cannot buy a book from the Kindle app on my iphone.  Apple and Amazon don't have a deal in place to support it.  So I have to open a web browser on my iphone and buy the kindle version that way.  The transaction cannot take place from the Kindle app.

But if it's a streaming service it has to come through devices that do streaming...........

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But if it's a streaming service it has to come through devices that do streaming...........

Is that a question or a statement?  DirectTV is a streaming service - I can watch it on anything that has a browser, same as I can Amazon Prime. A Firestick is just an interface for a device that can't talk to the web directly.

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I always disliked the park as a fan.  It's way too open; you don't have any shade from the sun/rain.  It's very poorly designed.  But I'm fine with the dimensions.

And I absolutely hate the merry-go-round.  It's completely out of place for a ballpark.  

As long as they dont move the merry-go-round onto the field on play, I’m fine with it. 

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Henning might finally be right about the dimensions.  It never used to play liked a pitcher's park, but the home run factor has been way down the last couple of years and probably this year too.  I like it though.  What they need is a front office who can design a team for the park.  

It can be hard to get top-tier hitters to choose to play in Comerica without having to overcompensate them. Which Papa Doc did in the 2010s. 

Okay, I hope you guys aren't mad at me but when I looked through some of last year's baseball cards (I buy one pack every year) I cam across a Javy Baez Cubs card and I put it in the corner of my Tiger Stadium picture............Bad omen, he wasn't a Cub.    I removed it Friday and he has been better. 

It's all my fault. 

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Amazon is a company that streamers pay to put their service on the Amazon  product. Or depending on who the real power is, Roku could pay Bally’s too . Point is that it’s not automatic.  Disney Plus wasn’t on Roku initially because they couldn’t make a deal yet. 

21 hours ago, Ancient Fan said:

Sounds fun. Do you have pictures?

It was and I do. Send me a PM here and I can give you my Facebook name to add, if you're on that. Full album there. Otherwise I can post a few here or in the General Discussion forum later.

Edited by lordstanley

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not surprised at all

Also a sign that AJ opting out probably isn't a thing 

I don't know why any coach would go into the NCAA today if you have a good gig somewhere else. Nothing but loads of uncertainty about your players, your team and their futures and all things over which you will have zero control or influence on as a coach -- esp a baseball coach. 

The appeal of an NCAA coaching job used to be the level of control you had over so much of your program, but that's all in flux for the time being and who knows where it all shakes out?

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know why any coach would go into the NCAA today if you have a good gig somewhere else. Nothing but loads of uncertainty about your players, your team and their futures and all things over which you will have zero control or influence on as a coach -- esp a baseball coach.

Especially Michigan... they have built a very good program, but the B1G is not baseball country at all.

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Especially Michigan... they have built a very good program, but the B1G is not baseball country at all.

....and still no announcement on a University President. Michigan is basically going to lose any influence it may have had on the future of college sports just on the odd circumstance of having nobody steering the ship for going on a year. Then who ever it is has to get up to speed - unless it is someone coming from a similar position at a similar institution, which I think is doubtful. Odds are a law or medicine or liberal arts academic from a non FBS school on whose agenda (as with Schlissel) NCAA sports doesn't make the top ten. None of that bothers me in particular, but M sports fans should prepare themselves for that reality.

Edited by gehringer_2

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

....and still no announcement on a University President. Michigan is basically going to lose any influence it may have had on the future of college sports just on the odd circumstance of having nobody steering the ship for going on a year. Then who ever it is has to get up to speed - unless it is someone coming from a similar position at a similar institution, which I think is doubtful. Odds are a law or medicine or liberal arts academic from a non FBS school on whose agenda (as with Schlissel) NCAA sports doesn't make the top ten. None of that bothers me in particular, but M sports fans should prepare themselves for that reality.

you seem to have this dream that michigan is going to abandon its football program or sports programs. michigan presidents have been bemoaning big time sports for years and the sports have done nothing but make money and bring prestige to the university.  it will continue to do that no matter who the next president is.

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

you seem to have this dream that michigan is going to abandon its football program or sports programs. michigan presidents have been bemoaning big time sports for years and the sports have done nothing but make money and bring prestige to the university.  it will continue to do that no matter who the next president is.

LOL - you are about 10 miles ahead of what I just posted, which was simply that they were losing their opportunity to have any input, which they are.

But just to humor you - while I don't know where you get the idea UM Presidents have "bemoaned" sports, I can say that in Schlissels case he pretty much just ignored them. In his years here through listening to many of his statement, addresses, emails etc, I can't remember once he even mentioned UM sports.  Of course Gordon Gee couldn't say ten worlds without referencing the football team in Columbus! The Pres at OSU now is an ex-Stanford Lacrosse player. I'll be a little surprised if UM matches that.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 6/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, mtutiger said:

One thing that has grown on me about Comerica (full disclosure, I haven't been in years, this is strictly from a TV perspective) - the backdrop with the Detroit Skyline in the background. It's never going to be Pittsburgh, but especially in our current era where Globe Life Field, with it's generic look and Costco-like atmosphere, is considered the model ballpark, there's something to be said about a ballpark located in the central business district of a city and not out in suburbia. Just more aesthetically pleasing.

Like G2, the dimensions of the ballpark are fine and generate more action than I think the park gets credit for, owing to the amount of room in the gaps and the possibilities of triples that don't exist most places.

Agree about the skyline.  I think it's one of the best in baseball.  Even with the parking garage that detracts from it a bit IMO. 

The conversation about the sun detracting from the stadium is definitely relevant.  I only go to one game a year but it is usually a day game and we always are careful about where we buy tickets.