2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It'd be nice if some of these cash considerations could be used on picking up something useful

where did Ali Sanchez come from? ..... waived by StL AAA on the 18th.

Policelli looks like he will vie for the Shane Halter award if he ever makes the majors. Has already played pretty much everywhere.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He ended DFA'd up off the St. Louis 40 man to make room for Jack Flaherty. Similar to how Brendon Davis ended up here, probably trying to sneak him through without anyone noticing.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Policelli looks like he will vie for the Shane Halter award if he ever makes the majors. Has already played pretty much everywhere.

I think Policelli is the heir apparent to Haase, who I suspect will not be a Tiger beyond this year.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think Policelli is the heir apparent to Haase, who I suspect will not be a Tiger beyond this year.

Haase has had a good month - 800 OPS in June. It's not saying much but he is the closest thing to an MLB catcher we have in the system currently. 

Maybe Barnhart is still suffering league change, no way he should be as bad as he is.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe Barnhart is still suffering league change, no way he should be as bad as he is.

You don't want to read too much into a waiver claim, but my first reaction to them claiming Sanchez was that it may speak to how the organization feels about Barnhart going forward. Not that he's gonna be DFA'd or anything, but rather that the talk of extending him is a thing of the past 

I don't know that Sanchez is a major league starter, but I doubt he's a guy that is stuck on a AAA roster for the next three years.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You don't want to read too much into a waiver claim, but my first reaction to them claiming Sanchez was that it may speak to how the organization feels about Barnhart going forward.

I don't know that he's a major league starter, but I doubt he's a guy that is stuck on a AAA roster for the next three years.

I think he’s in the mix as Jake Rogers backup next year.

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Isaac Paredes has 8 home runs, 16 RBI, and a 130 OPS+.  Austin Meadows has 0 home runs, 11 RBI, and a 99 OPS+.  

Another Avila gift to the organization. It’s like everything the man touches turns to 💩.  

Paredes' overall performance isn't good. But Meadows, Grossman, Candy, Schoop, Baez, Tork, etc all experiencing slugging droughts at the same time isn't bad luck. It's indicative of some kind of systemic failure.

You can make the case that Paredes would not have succeeded here even if he was given a real shot. There's a rot within the organization that's caused this. They should not be this bad collectively.

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

3 homer games are nice, Tuffy Rhodes had one of those.  And in such a small sample it will raise your OPS+ from 87 to 130.  But to say that he is succeeding seems a bit premature with that .274 OBP.

Worth pointing out as well. 24 hours ago, Paredes OPS+ and wRC+ were both worse than Meadows.... 

Again, it really speaks to the idea that you need to give it time and not react to the last 90 ABs.

Edited by mtutiger

https://theathletic.com/3377830/2022/06/22/mlb-detroit-tigers-failing-season/?source=emp_shared_article

Great work from Ken Rosenthal going over the pitfalls of this org. Also includes this gem:

Some in Detroit, meanwhile, wonder if Hinch might bolt, pointing to an April 2021 report that said his contract included an opt-out clause.

Avila said Hinch’s contract includes no such clause. Hinch, in his second year with the club, has never said anything to indicate he plans to abandon his long-term commitment to the organization. His contract, according to sources, runs for five years, from 2021 to 2025. Avila’s deal expires sooner, but its exact length is not known.

In other words, Lynn Henning has caused about a season and a half of angst over something that isn't even reality.